New Realtek driver? Have Realtek - Net - 11.4.211.2022. Acer TC-875-UR11.

GreenMtnFan
GreenMtnFan Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

wifi works (private not xfinity), Ethernet doesn't. Exchanged Gateway. No change. Tried add on ethernet-usb adapter (in case of a bad port). No change. Gateway Arris TG1682G. 10 days ago recently upgraded to 100Mbps. No problems. Added Limited Basic cable w/cablecard. OK for 3 days, then ethernet went out, worked for a few hours, then stopped. Personal wifi still works. Comcast said Gateway is not getting a signal. Lights: Power, US/DS, Online- solid. 2.4Ghz & 5GHz- blinking.

Switched out a new cable. No change. Tried a usb-ethernet adapter I have, No Change. PC is Acer TC-875-UR11. Windows 11. Overnight Windows update installed a new driver: Realtek - Net - 11.4.211.2022. Checked on Realtek's web, it seems to be newer than what is listed.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,777 Trailblazer
    >>>Windows 11.>>>

Please post a screenshot of Device Manager but don't manually expand any of the folders.

Jack E/NJ

• GreenMtnFan

Tinkerer

Ethernet was working Thursday night. Friday morning, it's gone again.

• JackE
    OK. Checkmark show hidden devices in Device Manager view tab. Then expand network adapters folder. Post another screenshot of expanded network adapters folder.

Jack E/NJ

• GreenMtnFan

Tinkerer

Done. My thoughts are that there is a mis match between Acer Gigabit Ethernet port and Comcast 100 Mbps signal.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    OK, the Realtek Ethernet port is shown there without issues. Open a command prompt with the Ethernet cable connected and type "ipconfig /all" and hit return. Next right click on the titlebar of the command prompt and choose Edit; Select All. All the text in the window should turn white. Hit return. Open Notepad and do a CTRL-V to paste all that text, then edit to remove any extraneous lines. Save the text file and attach it here.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GreenMtnFan

Tinkerer

Per your request, file attached. Thank You.
  • JackE
    >>>>Comcast said Gateway is not getting a signal>>> Tried a usb-ethernet adapter I have, No Change. >>>

I don't think it's either adapter or the PC. The PC's adapter seems to see the Arris but perhaps the Arris doesn't see the adapters. Comcast has their own Arris flavors. Does the Arris have more than one RJ45 port or is it fed by a router? Or a combo?

Jack E/NJ

• GreenMtnFan

Tinkerer

It looks like it was/is a Comcast/xfinity issue. Thursday, I plugged a cable from the gateway (Arris1682G), to my Windows 10 laptop. It was recognized as a wired connection.

Then I tried the usb-ethernet 10/100/1000 adapter to the desktop. Recognized as wired.

Then plugged cable directly into desktop (Acer Aspire TC-875-UR11). Again, recognized as wired.

Left it on overnight, still there. Speed test ~113 Mbps.

Why it took Comcast 10 days to mess up my connection and 6 days to fix it? Anyway it seems OK now. All the while the wi-fi side was working (~95 Mbps). Thank you for your help.

• JackE
    >>>Anyway it seems OK now>>>

Thanks for reporting back. Post another ipconfig now that it's working. Doubtful but It might reveal something different than when it was not. 

Jack E/NJ

• GreenMtnFan

Tinkerer

OK. Please see attached. Crossing my fingers it doesn't change.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    edited July 2022
    It looks like they are using a 10.0.0.x sub-subnet for your system (that is a class C, 10.x.x.x is normally a class A). As long as you have the Ethernet port configured to use DHCP for the IPv4 and IPv6 you should be good to go.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GreenMtnFan

Tinkerer

I sent your reply to Comcast. Perhaps it'll help someone else. Forums have several of these complaints. Not just Comcast, Spectrum is mentioned several times.
  • JackE
    >>>I sent your reply to Comcast. >>>

I'm sure they'll file it somewhere on their RAID 50 or 100 drive setups until they decide to empty its trash folder :)

Jack E/NJ