How to install Nitro 5 Sense using Wine in Linux?

Options
Mysticsoul199
Mysticsoul199 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited July 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hello Acer community, since last year I have been facing this problem where after installing any linux system on my nitro 5 the fans would run at full speed even if the CPU is 35~40 degrees C. I looked up this issue and found that others use this application known as NBFC ( Notebook Fan Controller). I went ahead with installing the app but when I booted back to my windows system the Nitro sense app completely stopped working. Even un-installing and installing a fresh copy of Nitro sense wasn't solving it. Fortunately I had created a system restore point before and the nitro sense app started working fine after I restored my system but, I had to stop using NBFC and I removed the app completely which resulted in fans being really loud and running at full speed. I know Wine exists but I don't know the correct procedure to install nitro sense app using Wine. I almost gave up hope in this but I thought if anyone from the community might tell a possible solution so I came here. Please let me know if there are any solutions to this.

My machine specs: Intel core i5 9300H, GTX 1650 ,16GB RAM and model is Acer Nitro 5 2019. 

Thanks a ton in Advance!! 

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,717 Trailblazer
    Options
    Two possibilities. First, locate the Windows subdirectory for the NitroSense executable. Copy the whole NitroSense sub-directory into your Linux home  or desktop directory. Then try to run the NitroSense executable under WINE.

Second, go to this link. Enter your Nitro 5's full model number. For example, AN515-54. Then download the NitroSense app zip file. Decompress the zip file with archive manager. If the decompressed file has a setup.EXE executable, try to install NitroSense under WINE.

WINE is getting much better at running many Windows apps. I use it frequently under Mint for many of my preferred Windows apps.

Jack E/NJ

• Mysticsoul199

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay, I installed wine on Ubuntu and when I run the Setup.exe from the extracted folder of Nitro Sense zip file I get this dialog box which says " Sorry! This operating system is not supported. "

There is a Setup.exe.config file present in the extracted folder. would modifying any value in it solve this issue ?
    Let me know !!
    Thanks !
  • JackE
    Options
    Then try the first possibility mentioned earlier.

You should be able to access the Windows NTFS system partition from inside Linux. Locate the Windows subdirectory that has the NitroSense executable (not nitrosense setup.exe).

Then copy and paste the whole Windows NitroSense sub-directory, into a Linux home or desktop directory. Then try to run the NitroSense.EXE under WINE.  

Jack E/NJ

• Mysticsoul199

Tinkerer

Options
    Alright! I have Windows installed on an SSD and the ubuntu on a portable Hard Drive. I will google up how I can access windows NTFS system partition from linux. Apart from this I have found that the Nitro Sense folder is located in C:Program Files\Acer\Nitro Sense. Should I just copy that whole folder to a USB drive and then paste it in my linux home directory ?

• JackE
    Options
    Only copy the NitroSense folder and all its files and subfolders if any.

Because some of the options in NitroSense app might sometimes need to interact with the BIOS, there is a possibility that not all the options that function in a Windows environment will do so in a WINE overlay even if the NitroSense GUI appears. Good luck.

Jack E/NJ

• Mysticsoul199

Tinkerer

edited July 2022
    Options
    So here is what I did, After installing wine I opened wine by typing winecfg in the terminal, set up the windows directory , copied and pasted the Nitro Sense folder exactly like it is on windows ( in ubuntu its home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Acer/Nitro Sense.) There are multiple .exe files. I'm really not sure which one opens the app. Take a look at the screenshot below and let me know if I'm missing any crucial step. PSLauncher.exe doesn't open when I try to open it with Wine.

Thanks for everything so far.
    Really trying to make it work here!!
  • JackE
    Options
    Can you access the Windows ProgramFiles folder from the Linux environment? There's  subfolders WindowsApp has the Acer Incorporated subfolder to the actual NItroSense.exe executable that set the whole app in motion. Use the Linux search function to look for nitrosense.exe to locate the precise directory. It also may have more Windows dlls and image subfolders. Copy the whole subfolder with the nitrosense.exe executable & dlls. & images.  

Jack E/NJ

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    This is not going to work as NS have direct access to EC (WinRing0.sys) which controls the fans. The only SW which have access to the linux ec_sys is NBFC. I recomend to install this one https://github.com/nbfc-linux/nbfc-linux
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Mysticsoul199

Tinkerer

Options
    @JackE
    Alright, I will start working on it soon. 
  • JackE
    edited July 2022
    Options
    >>>I once installed NBFC and it worked fine but after booting back to WIndows , the Nitro Sense app wasn't opening at all.>>>

If you try this again, you might want to copy the entire Windows Program Files subfolder containing the nitrosense.exe executable to another folder on the C : \ . Copy this in the Linux environment because access to and running the nitrosense.exe executable in this Windows subfolder is restricted in the Windows environment.  Running the nitrosense.exe seems not so restricted under Windows when placed in another user folder on the C : \ drive.

PS: I think you will still need all the PredatorSense files in the NitroSenseService subfolder in Program Files (x86) folder. You might get to the NitroSense GUI but I still suspect that it won't be fully functional as in Windows.

Jack E/NJ

• batmalin
    Options
    Again, it needs low level access to the EC via WinRing0.sys  driver and it will not work on an emulated enviroment. In order not to have issues with NS and/or NBFC when booting Win you have to disable fast boot and fast startup.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>will not work on an emulated enviroment>>>

And here I always thought that WINE meant that Wine Is Not an Emulator. :)

Jack E/NJ

• batmalin
    Options
    Yeah, kind of. But still it doesn`t have low level access to the EC.

• Mysticsoul199

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>will not work on an emulated enviroment>>>

And here I always thought that WINE meant that Wine Is Not an Emulator. :)
    That is so Funny!!!   :D  
    And yes, I will try to do what you said. Thanks for everything so far!!
  • Mysticsoul199

Tinkerer

Options
    @batmalin
    Alright I will keep this in mind. I'm hoping for Nitro Sense to work but incase if it doesn't then I'll install NBFC again. I almost made my mind to buy a normal office laptop which have single fans for all my linux needs but now I can see some hope here. 
    Thanks !! 
  • Mysticsoul199

Tinkerer

Options
    @batmalin
    So I have some strange news !! NBFC is working and Nitro Sense is working . I have disabled secure boot and when I booted back to windows from linux the fans were spinning at 5000 RPM for almost a minute. The temps are hovering around 45 - 53 degree C with CPU utilization at 13% . Not complaining to be honest but before NBFC temps used to hover at 35 - 48 degree C. It is possible to bring back those temps while having NBFC?? 

and also Now that I have disabled secured boot, do I have to be extra cautious when surfing online because of possible malware infections ? I have Microsoft defender and Malware Bytes running in the background. Let me know!!

And the most important thing!!! THANKS for solving out the problem for me @batmalin
    and Thanks to @JackE for sticking here with me. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back. But third party AV running in the background can create problems and issues like this. Don't just disable it. Uninstall it. Most folks only need Defender and Malicious Software Removal tool which are updated regularly. Don't worry too much about leaving secure boot disabled. I also wouldn't  worry too much about idling at 53*C instead of 48*C. It's summertime. Not that accurate anyway. 

Jack E/NJ

• batmalin
    Options
    Fast boot and fast startup should be disabled, I never stated to disable secure boot, but there is no issues to disable.