Acer An515 not turning on, unsure what to do

DarkSouls
DarkSouls Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited July 2022 in Nitro Gaming
So today I changed my thermal paste because gpu and cpu were overheating but then I realized that the HDD slot that keeps the cable in place (plastic) was broken so I tried plugging in and opening PC (after thermal application) booted normally but the disk D was not showing

I tried multiple times, to keep that HDD cable connected even tried using insulation (electrical cables) and it didn’t work but then after multiple try the laptop didn’t even turn on anymore

the indicator of plug in, shows orange when I click power button nothing happens 
when I click it multiple times, the other led which indicates that the PC is on turns on for a second then goes away

i tried battery drainage and idk why I can’t get it to turn on

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    DarkSouls said:
    So today I changed my thermal paste because gpu and cpu were overheating but then I realized that the HDD slot that keeps the cable in place (plastic) was broken so I tried plugging in and opening PC (after thermal application) booted normally but the disk D was not showing

I tried multiple times, to keep that HDD cable connected even tried using insulation (electrical cables) and it didn’t work but then after multiple try the laptop didn’t even turn on anymore

the indicator of plug in, shows orange when I click power button nothing happens 
    when I click it multiple times, the other led which indicates that the PC is on turns on for a second then goes away

Yes and unfortunately the secondary 2.5" SATA drive mobo plug is an absolute disaster in the latest Nitro AN515 laptops and its a very bad design with its tiny plug and top plastic strip locking design, This also happens to my laptop and I've given up on fitting a 2.5" SATA secondary drive in my laptop, its a poor and flimsy design and that locking plastic top strip of that plug is useless. The reason why your laptop does not boot is because of your 2.5" drive cable is not connected properly and that causes a short in the laptop not to  boot, it continually happened to my AN515-56 and no matter what I did (and I've got allot of extensive experience in doing these things) it didn't work as that top plastic locking strip is damaged and won't lock the flat cable into the plug) its a bad design or the this plug on my laptop was faulty from new as I could never ever connect the secondary drive. All you can do is either send your laptop to Acer (if its under warranty?) or if not, get that SATA mobo plug fixed or use the 2.5" drive as an external drive which I've done as I can't be bothered to fix it as an external drive works just as good.
  • DarkSouls
    DarkSouls Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    StevenGen said:
    DarkSouls said:

Yes and unfortunately the secondary 2.5" SATA drive mobo plug is an absolute disaster in the latest Nitro AN515 laptops and its a very bad design with its tiny plug and top plastic strip locking design, This also happens to my laptop and I've given up on fitting a 2.5" SATA secondary drive in my laptop, its a poor and flimsy design and that locking plastic top strip of that plug is useless. The reason why your laptop does not boot is because of your 2.5" drive cable is not connected properly and that causes a short in the laptop not to  boot, it continually happened to my AN515-56 and no matter what I did (and I've got allot of extensive experience in doing these things) it didn't work as that top plastic locking strip is damaged and won't lock the flat cable into the plug) its a bad design or the this plug on my laptop was faulty from new as I could never ever connect the secondary drive. All you can do is either send your laptop to Acer (if its under warranty?) or if not, get that SATA mobo plug fixed or use the 2.5" drive as an external drive which I've done as I can't be bothered to fix it as an external drive works just as good.
    Exactly! Like idk I couldn’t plug it even when the plastic top thing was working fine, it was such a trouble especially that it was under the SATA usb cable..

so you think because of that it’s not booting? Note I have an SSD so it was booting normally when the Disk D (HDD) was not plugged, until it decided not to anymore, do you still think that’s the reason?

if so, it’s best if I get a HDD case to make my HDD as an external hard drive and plug it like a USB and it should work?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    DarkSouls said:
    StevenGen said:
    DarkSouls said:

Exactly! Like idk I couldn’t plug it even when the plastic top thing was working fine, it was such a trouble especially that it was under the SATA usb cable..

so you think because of that it’s not booting? Note I have an SSD so it was booting normally when the Disk D (HDD) was not plugged, until it decided not to anymore, do you still think that’s the reason?

if so, it’s best if I get a HDD case to make my HDD as an external hard drive and plug it like a USB and it should work?
    Yes its because of the SATA port is shorted and the cable is not connected properly and not making a connection and there is a short that the laptop safety causes the laptop to not boot, that happened to me lots of time as really tried to connect the secondary 2.5" drive as I needed more storage internally for my AN515-56 laptop and it was useless as the design of that mobo SATA cable and the plug is useless and just doesn't work as a secure connection, this is  especially for a laptop where a laptop is a mobile device and has allot of potential of knocks and movements and its not like a desktop and designing a flimsy plug like that is just very poor. I would buy an external 2.5" HDD/SSD case and use this 2.5" SSD as an external drive, its the easiest solution and what I'm doing with my 2.5" drive.