XC-1660G-UW92 - Which CPU's can I use to upgrade?

Ron1200
Ron1200 Member Posts: 5 New User
Hello all, 

I have a XC-1660G-UW92 with the i3-10105 Intel Processor. I'd like to upgrade the processor and use a i7-10700t or i7-11700t, is this possible? If those two options don't work, is there a list of what would work? 

I checked the BIOS revisions and associated information but I didn't see any related CPU support information. 

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. 

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>I'd like to run a 10700t or 11700t>>>

Can't give you any 100% guarantees either way. So you'll just have to try one of them and see. But as @billsey implied eariler, the biggest performance bangs for the money are faster drives, then more RAM. Diminishing gains by messing with CPUs in older mainboards

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The active socket/pin counts are likely lower in the older boards. Relates to questions about all 8 CPU cores being usable in a mainboard designed for 4. Might work. So give it a try. Please let us know one way or another.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I doubt there is any issue with pin counts on the socket. The core handling is all done on chip. Same thing goes for different clock speeds for the processors, the clocking is all handled on chip. What isn't handled is the different in external buss speeds between the 10th and 11th generation chipsets. You would be unlikely to find an 11th gen chip that will work on a 10th gen board. An i7-10700 or i9-10900 is your best direction for the use you describe. The T models give a pretty significant drop in CPU core frequency, which is where they get the TDP savings. Also stay away from the F models if you are using the onboard graphics at all, since it's not included in the F models. Also note that you are running 2666 memory, and the i7/i9 both support 2933 instead, so you might want to plan on bumping into an issue or two there. Likely they will run just fine with 2666 on the memory bus, but spec says 2933...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JackE
    Your older mainboard was designed to support a 4core i3. Newer mainboards now support 8core i7. While the LGA sockets may be compatible, your older mainboard might not take full advantage of the 8core i7 and thus might yield only marginally noticeable performance boost.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    edited June 2022
    You have a Comet Lake Refresh processor with a 65W TDP. For sure you can upgrade to an i5-10505 since that is also CML-R and 65W. Note though that spec says CML-S is supported which would give you the i9-10900 as an option, CML-S and 65W. As Jack suggests though, a CPU upgrade is one of the last upgrades you would do when looking at performance change vs. cost. What performance issues are you seeing? What type and size of drive are you using, how much memory do you have installed and are you using onboard GPU or an addon GPU card?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ron1200
    Thanks all for the comments. I'm using it as a headless test bench & Proxmox virtualization box. I do various things with virtualized machines/containers,  so more cores will be helpful assuming the CPU is supported and 65W TDP or less. I'm aware of the PSU's low-ish output. I also run 32GB of ram (16GBx2). 

As such, I'd like to run a 10700t or 11700t (35W TDP CPUs) to get more cores and a lower TDP if either would work. Alternatively, an i5 10th gen like mentioned above would similarly increase the number of cores but only to 6/12threads.

Thanks! 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>I'd like to run a 10700t or 11700t>>>

Can't give you any 100% guarantees either way. So you'll just have to try one of them and see. But as @billsey implied eariler, the biggest performance bangs for the money are faster drives, then more RAM. Diminishing gains by messing with CPUs in older mainboards

Jack E/NJ

• Ron1200
    I’m weighing my options and if I attempt to upgrade the CPU, I’ll report back on the success/failure so that you will all know for sure.

that being said, two comments above allude to performance issues with faster cpus in older motherboards. Can anyone add more context to this issue? What exactly is it about older motherboards in the XC-1660G would keep a faster CPU bottlenecked as compared to another chipset/motherboard?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The active socket/pin counts are likely lower in the older boards. Relates to questions about all 8 CPU cores being usable in a mainboard designed for 4. Might work. So give it a try. Please let us know one way or another.

Jack E/NJ

• Ron1200
    Thanks for the followup JackE and detail on the pins, I wasn't aware of that.

I'll follow-up, whichever path I go. 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    I doubt there is any issue with pin counts on the socket. The core handling is all done on chip. Same thing goes for different clock speeds for the processors, the clocking is all handled on chip. What isn't handled is the different in external buss speeds between the 10th and 11th generation chipsets. You would be unlikely to find an 11th gen chip that will work on a 10th gen board. An i7-10700 or i9-10900 is your best direction for the use you describe. The T models give a pretty significant drop in CPU core frequency, which is where they get the TDP savings. Also stay away from the F models if you are using the onboard graphics at all, since it's not included in the F models. Also note that you are running 2666 memory, and the i7/i9 both support 2933 instead, so you might want to plan on bumping into an issue or two there. Likely they will run just fine with 2666 on the memory bus, but spec says 2933...
  • Ron1200
    Wanted to follow up, I tested an Intel i5-10500t 6c/12t cpu and it worked great. So, TLDR, you can use other processors if you’d like. Thanks for the help folks. 

• JackE
    >>>I tested an Intel i5-10500t 6c/12t cpu and it worked great.>>>

Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back on this. Now the next question that you can report on. OTBE, how much noticeably greater does it work compared to the i3-10105? Quantitative comparisons would be nice. But I guess qualitative feel would be OK too.  :)

Jack E/NJ

• tderosier
    tderosier Member Posts: 4 New User

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but since this post is relevant to my main question/concern, I figured I'd post my question here. I wanted to verify if it was possible to add an 11th gen cpu to the XC-1660G-UW92? For example, I had an older HP Slim 290 that came with an 8th gen Intel cpu and I was able to put a 9th gen cpu into it. I know that certain changes in newer gen chips sometimes require a motherboard upgrade but I cannot find any official documentation on whether it's possible to upgrade to an 11th gen cpu on these XC-1660G-UW92s. Thanks for any help and insight.

• billsey

Spec says:

CML-S is the Comet Lake (10th gen) desktop CPUs, RKL-S is the Rocket Lake (11th gen) CPUs. So as long as you don't exceed the power budget (65W) you should be good with an 11th gen.

• tderosier

Awesome. Thank you for the insight here @billsey

• tderosier

@billsey Sorry one more quick question for you since you seem very knowledgeable on this stuff. With the current core i3 10105 that comes with this PC, max HDMI resolution is 4096 x 2160@30Hz. But lets say that I throw an 11th gen i5 11400 in which is able to handle a max resolution of 4096 x 2160@60z. Is this machine now capable of 4K 60hz or is there still some limitation on the motherboard that keeps it at 30hz? Thanks!

• billsey

That's a tough call… Spec says:

which implies that as long as you are using the HDMI 2.0b port you will get the 60Hz, the HDMI 1.4 port will, of course, not handle that refresh rate.

• tderosier

@billsey Thank you! Once I get everything worked out, I will report back with my results to verify things in case anyone else is interested.

• billsey

Please do, so many times we never hear back…

• JackE

@Ron1200 > I tested an Intel i5-10500t 6c/12t cpu and it worked great.

@JackE >Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back on this. Now the next
    question that you can report on. OTBE, how much noticeably greater does
    it work compared to the i3-10105? Quantitative comparisons would be
    nice. But I guess qualitative feel would be OK too

Too bad we didn't heard back yet on how much noticeably greater the change was from the i3. Don't mean benchmark greater either. Real world greater like running apps & programs that do something more useful than marveling at the speed simulation of a benchmarking tool. Had over a year to evaluate it so it'd be nice to know how much bang you really get for buck. 🙂

Jack E/NJ