Need help with tc 605-ub11 It has windows 8.1 now but im going to install windows 10

TRENT43
TRENT43 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Guys i pulled my tc 605-ub11 out of closet and wanted to freshen it up. I got some extra memory , psu, and gpu to play around with , but needed some advice. It has windows 8.1 now but im going to install windows 10. After reading online i see some people have trouble downloading and using windows 10 without updating bios. I have the P11.A4 bios at the moment and was wondering if this bios would work,without risking the update . After installing windows 10 should i update all drivers? Also i got a i7 4790 i was thinking about installing that should work in this mobo. Any advice is appreciated.

[Edited the thread to add additional information in title]

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @TRENT43

Your BIOS is the latest according to the link:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4790?b=1

Since your TC605 ( or ATC605)-UB11 shipped with a SATA HDD, I'll suggest replacing the old HDD with a new 2.5" SATA3 SSD for a somewhat risk free upgrade. I see no problem of using the i7-4790 CPU replacing the original i5-4440.

Visit the Microsoft site download and run the Media Creation Tool to create the latest Win 10 to a flash drive.

Boot to the flash drive and install Win 10 to the new 2.5" SATA3 SSD.

Answers

• ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @TRENT43

Your BIOS is the latest according to the link:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4790?b=1

Since your TC605 ( or ATC605)-UB11 shipped with a SATA HDD, I'll suggest replacing the old HDD with a new 2.5" SATA3 SSD for a somewhat risk free upgrade. I see no problem of using the i7-4790 CPU replacing the original i5-4440.

Visit the Microsoft site download and run the Media Creation Tool to create the latest Win 10 to a flash drive.

Boot to the flash drive and install Win 10 to the new 2.5" SATA3 SSD.

• TRENT43

Tinkerer

thanks for help. I got tc 605. I though the updated bios version was P21.A4 ? I hope im seeing this right.thanks
  • TRENT43

Tinkerer

or maybe its p11.b4
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022
    TRENT43 said:
    Guys i pulled my tc 605-ub11 out of closet and wanted to freshen it up. I got some extra memory , psu, and gpu to play around with , but needed some advice. It has windows 8.1 now but im going to install windows 10. After reading online i see some people have trouble downloading and using windows 10 without updating bios. I have the P11.A4 bios at the moment and was wondering if this bios would work, without risking the update . After installing windows 10 should i update all drivers? Also i got a i7 4790 i was thinking about installing that should work in this mobo. Any advice is appreciated.
    With the bios, try the OEM bios first that Acer released the TC-605 which is the version P11.A4 titled "BIOS 1.Fix S4 resume fail with KVM device" that you have! As refiring an old desktop that has been stored for years is a very risky thing, especially with and if you do "a bios flash" as its bios chip might not be up to the flash? This is because with age these chips functioning state can deteriorate and cause a bad flash that will brick the motherboard. Which will require a new bios chip, so keep that in mind and consider the risk as Acer categorically warns consumers "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution"!!!  

If you want to take the above risks? Then update your TC-605 to the latest bios which is the Version: P21.A4 Date: 2014/11/12 "Modify keep setup data while after flash BIOS" as the P11.A4 bios is the first bios that the TC-605 was released with for Win-7 and 8. Upgrade all the drivers and especially install the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant so that this software installs all the latest graphics and chipset Intel drivers for Win-10.

If you have a dedicated graphics card as the TC-605 came OEM with either a NV GT620, GT625, NV GT635 or the AMD HD8470 gpu's update the gpu card driver to the latest. The TC-605 came with either a 200W or 300W PSU and upgrade the gpu's to an Nvidia 1050Ti  gpu that will run on the 300W PSU and will give you a great graphics improvement.

With upgrading the cpu and ram, that Socket 1150 i7 4790 cpu that you have is a good move to upgrade the TC-605 to as and if you either have the OEM i3--4130 or the i5-4440 the new i7 4790 has a 95% upgrade chance and runs at the same TDP of 84W as the i5 but its 35% more TDP than the i3's 54W TDP so it will work perfectly within your mobo, also in performance the improvements are as follows, to the i5-4440 cpu it will give you 35% more relative performance and from the i3-4130 cpu it will give you a whopping 200% relative performance. 

With the ram Acer recommends for the TC-605 desktop into its 2x slots  the following,
    • Two DIMM slots supporting 240-pin unbuffered DDR3 SDRAM modules
    • Data rate supported: 1066/1333/1600 MT/s
    • Maximum memory: 16 GB (using two 8 GB modules)
    Also and IMO with the ram its best if you run the Crucial System Scan as a guide and see all the modern ram that you could upgrade to as this scan also tell you the absolute max capacity that your TC-605 will run which could be up to 32GB max (2x 16GB modules) so run that scan. Good luck and hope this helps you out as resurrecting old PC's is a great thing to do as they work just fine with Win-10 :D

• TRENT43

Tinkerer

thanks steven..Helped alot.. so you think i could stay with my bios without updating and it would work with windows 10? i have read without updated bios people were having trouble with windows 10 updates
  • ttttt
    @TRENT43

My mistake, sorry about that, not T3-605.

From this link:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4958?b=1

Te most updated BIOS seemed to be P11.B4 dated 2015/08/19 , that "L" version is for Linux.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    I would update it before I installed WIN10. Just follow the instructions in the Appendix and DONOT PULL THE POWER CORD when the screen goes black, be patience. 
    What will you be running as I wouldn't spend any money on it as it is not WIN11 compliant. But you'll have 2 years or more of enjoyment,
  • TRENT43

Tinkerer

Which Larryodie said:
    I would update it before I installed WIN10. Just follow the instructions in the Appendix and DONOT PULL THE POWER CORD when the screen goes black, be patience. 
    What will you be running as I wouldn't spend any money on it as it is not WIN11 compliant. But you'll have 2 years or more of enjoyment,
    Ok what version of bios would you recommend
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    Acer usually uses the P11 vs. P21 BIOS versions to show that they changed to a different motherboard part way through a product lifecycle. The P11 BIOS is for the original MB design, the P21 for the new design. The BIOS installers are supposed to block a user from trying to upgrade from the original BIOS type to the type for the new MB, so they can't brick the system. Just stick with your current P11-A4 and you should be fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TRENT43

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Acer usually uses the P11 vs. P21 BIOS versions to show that they changed to a different motherboard part way through a product lifecycle. The P11 BIOS is for the original MB design, the P21 for the new design. The BIOS installers are supposed to block a user from trying to upgrade from the original BIOS type to the type for the new MB, so they can't brick the system. Just stick with your current P11-A4 and you should be fine.
    thanks.Appreciate it