Using 3 monitors for Aspire XC-886

MartinLeeSG
MartinLeeSG Member Posts: 6 New User
I'm using the computer which has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 730.  

I'm currently connecting 2 monitors to the two ports at the bottom (which I presume is connected my graphics card).

I would like to connect a 3rd monitor. How can I do that? Should I replace the graphics card and if so, with what?

There are 2 more HDMI and 1 VGA ports on top, but I'm not sure how do I get them to work.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can use the ports on the motherboard only if you don't have the GPU card installed. If you have a card you can only use the ports on the card. So, if you want to have three monitors connected you need to remove the card and use the two HDMI and one VGA port on the motherboard. If you want higher performance than you will need a newer low power, low profile GPU card with three ports on it. The stock GPU cards Acer shipped all have the one HDMI and one DVI port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @MartinLeeSG

Many people still have the wrong concept that a dedicated graphics card always perform better than the integrated graphics.
    The GT730 card using technologies more than a decade old while the UHD 630 came out a few years ago. Don't forget, technologies advance everyday. Like @Larryodie mentioned, why USB3 to HDMI and not HDMI to HDMI?

From the picture, your integrated graphics at the top has 2 HDMI ports and a VGA port I guess, but it seemed sealed for some reason. Is it just some kind of dust cover? If so, you are just fine.

1) Remove the GT 730 card
    2) Remove that VGA port dust cover from the top 
    3) With all three displays connected to the top three ports using appropriate cables and connectors.

I am using two 1920 x 1080 monitors plus a 4K TV with my TC-885-UA91 through the UHD 630 integrated graphics ports. If you want 4K display from one of the HDMI ports, make sure the HDMI cable isn't the old style cable for 1920 x 1080. I have seen people complained their 4K display was just 1080p, because they were using old HDMI cable.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,858 Trailblazer
    I'm using the computer which has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 730.  

I'm currently connecting 2 monitors to the two ports at the bottom (which I presume is connected my graphics card).

I would like to connect a 3rd monitor. How can I do that? Should I replace the graphics card and if so, with what?

There are 2 more HDMI and 1 VGA ports on top, but I'm not sure how do I get them to work.

You have 2x HDMI and DV ports on your desktop, look at this guide "How to Do Triple Monitor Setup" as this guide tell you all the factors that are involved with connecting 3x monitors. 

• ttttt
    @MartinLeeSG

I used to have a GT730 card from PNY (PCIe 2.0 board), it had 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and a VGA port, apparently different from your 2 HDMI + 1 VGA configuration. If your GT730 card still has an open display connector (I suppose it is a HDMI one), you can just plug the third display to this open HDMI port through a HDMI cable. Could not see the open HDMI port, because you have the connectors plugged in the picture.

You shouldn't use the GT730 card from the beginning (for two displays), because the UHD630 integrated graphics is already 50% faster than the GT730.

Currently, I am using a TC-885-UA91 (with the UHD630 integrated graphics) with three displays. Unluckily, as seen from the picture, your XC-886 only has two open HDMI ports for the integrated graphics. You may want to change for another more powerful graphics card if the GT730 cannot provide three display support, and if you are determined to have three displays.

• MartinLeeSG
    Hi stevenGen and ttttt,

I'm currently connected to my graphics card at the bottom, which seems to have only two ports.

The integrated graphics on top seems to have 3 ports. Should I use that instead? I tried to plug one cable from the graphics card to the top hdmi opening but nothing shows up.

Isn't it quite strange if the integrated graphics Is faster or better than the addition graphics card.

Will getting a usb to hdmi connector also work?
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,429 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Why don't you try HDMI to HDMI. Why USB to HDMI ?
    I'm not sure if WIndow's will recognize ?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    You can use the ports on the motherboard only if you don't have the GPU card installed. If you have a card you can only use the ports on the card. So, if you want to have three monitors connected you need to remove the card and use the two HDMI and one VGA port on the motherboard. If you want higher performance than you will need a newer low power, low profile GPU card with three ports on it. The stock GPU cards Acer shipped all have the one HDMI and one DVI port.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MartinLeeSG
    Larryodie said:
    Why don't you try HDMI to HDMI. Why USB to HDMI ?
    I'm not sure if WIndow's will recognize ?
    There's only 2 ports now and they already used. I'm suggesting using usb to hdmi for my 3rd monitor.
  • MartinLeeSG
    billsey said:
    I checked my bios settings and the gui is disabled. So the only way of enabling it is to remove the additional graphics card? Is there any way of checking what integrated graphics my motherboard uses?
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @MartinLeeSG

Many people still have the wrong concept that a dedicated graphics card always perform better than the integrated graphics.
    The GT730 card using technologies more than a decade old while the UHD 630 came out a few years ago. Don't forget, technologies advance everyday. Like @Larryodie mentioned, why USB3 to HDMI and not HDMI to HDMI?

From the picture, your integrated graphics at the top has 2 HDMI ports and a VGA port I guess, but it seemed sealed for some reason. Is it just some kind of dust cover? If so, you are just fine.

1) Remove the GT 730 card
    2) Remove that VGA port dust cover from the top 
    3) With all three displays connected to the top three ports using appropriate cables and connectors.

I am using two 1920 x 1080 monitors plus a 4K TV with my TC-885-UA91 through the UHD 630 integrated graphics ports. If you want 4K display from one of the HDMI ports, make sure the HDMI cable isn't the old style cable for 1920 x 1080. I have seen people complained their 4K display was just 1080p, because they were using old HDMI cable.
  • billsey
    Yes, as long as a GPU card is installed the onboard GPU is disabled. The only way to enable it is by removing the GPU card. If your system has an 8th gen CPU the GPU built in is a UHD Graphics 610, if it has a 9th gen CPU then the GPU built in is a UHD Graphics 630.
  • MartinLeeSG
    If I use the VGA port with the onboard GPU, what would be the resolution/video quality for that output?
  • ttttt
    @MartinLeeSG

The onboard VGA port can provide 1920 x 1080 resolution. The other HDMI ports can provide 3840 x 2160 resolution at 30 Hz if you use 4K HDMI cables.