New laptop, Should I download all of the Bios/Firmware PH315-53

Options
scythe
scythe Member Posts: 3 New User
edited June 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hello, I have just purchased a Predator Helios PH315-53 and I am wondering if I should download all of the bios/firmware updates on the acer website. For example "Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance" apparently increases the gpu watts and gives higher performance.
When I searched up some of these individually I found people saying to update them and to not update them. I guess what I am looking for is for somebody to tell me which ones to update and which ones not to update.
My system is updated to the newest version of Windows 11.
I use an external monitor.
Here is the image of the Bios/Firmware:

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Thank you

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,153 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    scythe said:
    wascas said:
    I suspect that any increase in performance will be barely noticeable, if at all. Often these updates say "improved performance", but what that means exactly we don't know, as the BIOS version history and changes are not published.
    Would it hurt to try it?
    Hi,
    Updating BIOS is different from updating any drivers because there's an outside chance of bricking your laptop, as @wascas said if your system works without any issues you can leave as it is, but if you insist, please take the following precautions:
    1. Download latest BIOS version from Acer Support site and extract it to the Desktop.
    2. Close all opened sites, turn off all Apps.
    3. Make sure the battery is fully charged and the laptop connected to mains during the update process.
    4. Remove any peripherals connected to the laptop( printer, USB keyboard etc.)
    5. Make sure that you won't have any power cut in your area( this is out of your control)
    6. Open the extracted folder in the Desktop, right click .exe file and select "Run as Admin"
    7. During the update, don't touch any buttons on the keyboard or turn off the laptop, I prefer you move away from the laptop once the update begins.
    I think I have covered almost everything and Good luck.

Answers

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,212 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    edited June 2022
    Options
    You don't have to update the BIOS if your system works fine. Otherwise use the latest BIOS version.
  • scythe
    Options
    wascas said:
    You don't have to update the BIOS if your system works fine. Otherwise use the latest BIOS version.
    Thank you, but would I be able to gain more fps if I use the feature, "Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance", for example ?
  • wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,212 Overclocked Contributor WiFi Icon
    Options
    I suspect that any increase in performance will be barely noticeable, if at all. Often these updates say "improved performance", but what that means exactly we don't know, as the BIOS version history and changes are not published.
  • scythe
    Options
    wascas said:
    Would it hurt to try it?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,153 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    scythe said:
    wascas said:
    Would it hurt to try it?
    Hi,
    Updating BIOS is different from updating any drivers because there's an outside chance of bricking your laptop, as @wascas said if your system works without any issues you can leave as it is, but if you insist, please take the following precautions:
    1. Download latest BIOS version from Acer Support site and extract it to the Desktop.
    2. Close all opened sites, turn off all Apps.
    3. Make sure the battery is fully charged and the laptop connected to mains during the update process.
    4. Remove any peripherals connected to the laptop( printer, USB keyboard etc.)
    5. Make sure that you won't have any power cut in your area( this is out of your control)
    6. Open the extracted folder in the Desktop, right click .exe file and select "Run as Admin"
    7. During the update, don't touch any buttons on the keyboard or turn off the laptop, I prefer you move away from the laptop once the update begins.
    I think I have covered almost everything and Good luck.