Acer CP713-2W-5874- Dead Pixel line

Pittsy30
Pittsy30 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited June 2022 in Chromebooks
Hi.  I purchased an Acer Spin 713 via Best Buy on April 8,2021.

Today a line appears across the entire screen.  I have not dropped nor misused the product.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,466 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The line indicates there is either a hardware issue with the display or an issue with the cable between the motherboard and display. It's very unlikely to be software... If you are in warranty just go ahead and have Acer fix it for you, if out of warranty try reseating both ends of the cable to see if that changes things. If it does it indicates the issue is more likely to be the cable, if not it's more likely to be the display itself. A cable is priced low enough it is possibly worth fixing, a display means it's likely better to replace the whole unit if out of warranty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    A phone photo of the line would be helpful. Does the line appear when you HDMI out to a TV screen?

Jack E/NJ

• Pittsy30
    Here is the line.  I have not tried to hook up to an external monitor yet. 

• Pittsy30
    Pittsy30 said:
    Here is the line.  I have not tried to hook up to an external monitor yet. 

Line is not present when hooked up to an external monitor. 
  • Pittsy30
    line is not present with external monitor
  • JackE
    >>>line is not present with external monitor >>>

Good. Means mainboard is OK. Try this.

Shut down machine normally. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping F2 to enter the BIOS menu. Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab screen if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi @ Pittsy30

• Turn off your monitor.
    • Get yourself a damp cloth so that you won't scratch the screen.
    • Apply pressure to the area where the stuck pixel is. ...
    • While applying pressure, turn on your computer and screen.
    • Remove pressure, and the stuck pixel should be gone.

• Pittsy30
    JackE said:
    >>>line is not present with external monitor >>>

Good. Means mainboard is OK. Try this.

Shut down machine normally. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping F2 to enter the BIOS menu. Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information tab screen if possible.
    I don't have an F2 key
  • Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    If it's not showing on external monitor then it looks like an hardware. Check in bios page as well. Since you purchased by best buy there might be additional warranty. Check with acer warranty support.
  • JackE
    edited June 2022
    >>>I don't have an F2 key >>>

What is your full model number? For example, SP713-51? It sounds like you may have a ChromeBook, not a Windows NoteBook. The LCD screen or video cable may need to be serviced.

Go to this screen test in full screen mode to see if it can eliminate the problem after about a half hour of running the test.

Jack E/NJ

• Pittsy30
    JackE said:
    >>>I don't have an F2 key >>>

What is your full model number? For example, SP713-51? It sounds like you may have a ChromeBook, not a Windows NoteBook. The LCD screen or video cable may need to be serviced.

Go to this screen test in full screen mode to see if it can eliminate the problem after about a half hour of running the test.

Model is CP713-2W-5874.  It is a Chromebook. 
  • JackE
    Did you run the screen test yet?

Jack E/NJ

• Pittsy30
    JackE said:
    Did you run the screen test yet?
    I did and it did not fix the issue.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,466 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The line indicates there is either a hardware issue with the display or an issue with the cable between the motherboard and display. It's very unlikely to be software... If you are in warranty just go ahead and have Acer fix it for you, if out of warranty try reseating both ends of the cable to see if that changes things. If it does it indicates the issue is more likely to be the cable, if not it's more likely to be the display itself. A cable is priced low enough it is possibly worth fixing, a display means it's likely better to replace the whole unit if out of warranty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Then yes the LCD screen or video cable may need to be serviced as mentioned last Thurs.

Jack E/NJ