Predator Helios PH517-52 with powergem repair?

MikelmouseMikelmouse Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

My Predator Helios PH517-52 (Intel i9 11th gen with "Powergem") died after 6 months, and went off last week to "Currys" in the UK for repair under warranty. Had a phone call from their technician this morning who explained mainboard mosfet had died, so new mainboard ordered and fitted... BUT when I asked about "PowerGem" had no idea, saying nothing came with the replacement board.

Is the "PowerGem" bonded to the CPU on new board or is it a separate part they needed to order but haven't?

Have I the right to insist "PowerGem" included in the repair?

Best Answer

• JackEJackE ACE Posts: 35,889 Trailblazer
    edited June 22 Answer ✓
    Acer PowerGem is just a fancy name for an improved proprietary CPU/GPU heat sink cooling system. It's completely separate from the mainboard. The heatsink and thermal module are already inside your laptop and not being replaced or eliminated. They'll sit atop the CPU and GPU chips on the new mainboard to help cool them.  The new mainboard will essentially be cooled with the same PowerGem thermal module that's in there now. It'll be fine. https://www.engadget.com/2019-09-04-acer-predator-powergem-reveal.html

Jack E/NJ

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE ACE Posts: 35,889 Trailblazer
    edited June 22 Answer ✓
    Acer PowerGem is just a fancy name for an improved proprietary CPU/GPU heat sink cooling system. It's completely separate from the mainboard. The heatsink and thermal module are already inside your laptop and not being replaced or eliminated. They'll sit atop the CPU and GPU chips on the new mainboard to help cool them.  The new mainboard will essentially be cooled with the same PowerGem thermal module that's in there now. It'll be fine. https://www.engadget.com/2019-09-04-acer-predator-powergem-reveal.html

Jack E/NJ