Should I replace my currently SSD NVME Drive for a one with better performance? ASPIRE 5 a515-46-r3

Neosammy314
Neosammy314 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
I did some research and found out I can either buy a SSD 2.5¨ to use simultaneously with my SSD NVME drive I currently possess, or Replace the SSD NVME drive with another one that gets me a better performance, such as more space in gigas or TB or one with more MB/s. Thing is, I don't really know How different the performance would be If I chose one option or the other. Could you cast some light on this topic? I'm really looking forward to getting it upgraded. Also, My laptop is an acer aspire 5 a515-46-r3cz slim laptop, with 8GB of DDR4 RAM at 2400-2666Mhz which will potentially upgrade to 16GB working on dual channel

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can mainly increase the storage capacity, not speed (MB/s), with another SSD. 8GB RAM is quite satisfactory. 16GB will only alllow you to open more programs simultaneously and quickly switch from one program to another. How many programs do you need to open and use all at one time? With 16B you can have dozens running. Dual channel capability will make little noticeable speed difference. This is NOT a gaming or graphics intensive laptop, so the upgrades will have little noticeable affect on graphics performance if that's what you're after.

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @Neosammy314

The NVMe SSD should provide the best performance (usually 3,400 MB/s read), it is much faster than 2.5" SATA3 SSD ( 550 MB/s read). However, if your NVMe SSD is running low in capacity and you do not want to go though the hassle of cloning the NVMe drive, you can add a 2.5" SATA3 SSD as additional storage.

It all depends on how much data you may have. The best performance can be achieved by replacing the existing NVMe dirve with one of higher capacity, such as 1 TB or 2 TB (I think that should be more than enough for most people who do not save a lot of videos or loading a lot of games to the PC).

To replace the old NVMe with a new one, you may need to use Win 10 Create System Image method or get a third party software such as Macrium Reflect, Acronics...etc. Assuming you do not have extra M.2 NVMe slot with your PC (as most Aspire 5 will have just one M.2 NVMe slot), an external USB HDD or an additional internal 2.5" SATA3 SSD may be needed to store the system image temporarily before replacing the drive.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can mainly increase the storage capacity, not speed (MB/s), with another SSD. 8GB RAM is quite satisfactory. 16GB will only alllow you to open more programs simultaneously and quickly switch from one program to another. How many programs do you need to open and use all at one time? With 16B you can have dozens running. Dual channel capability will make little noticeable speed difference. This is NOT a gaming or graphics intensive laptop, so the upgrades will have little noticeable affect on graphics performance if that's what you're after.

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @Neosammy314

The NVMe SSD should provide the best performance (usually 3,400 MB/s read), it is much faster than 2.5" SATA3 SSD ( 550 MB/s read). However, if your NVMe SSD is running low in capacity and you do not want to go though the hassle of cloning the NVMe drive, you can add a 2.5" SATA3 SSD as additional storage.

It all depends on how much data you may have. The best performance can be achieved by replacing the existing NVMe dirve with one of higher capacity, such as 1 TB or 2 TB (I think that should be more than enough for most people who do not save a lot of videos or loading a lot of games to the PC).

To replace the old NVMe with a new one, you may need to use Win 10 Create System Image method or get a third party software such as Macrium Reflect, Acronics...etc. Assuming you do not have extra M.2 NVMe slot with your PC (as most Aspire 5 will have just one M.2 NVMe slot), an external USB HDD or an additional internal 2.5" SATA3 SSD may be needed to store the system image temporarily before replacing the drive.