aspire 5 A514-54 can i downgrade to windows 10 from a laptop that came preinstalled with windows 11?

ysn20
ysn20 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
My aspire 5 A514-54 came pre installed with windows 11 and since i do not like it, i wanted to downgrade to windows 10. i wanted to know if this would be possible since i am worried that i will lose my activation licence if i do downgrade. does this laptop model have downgrade rights? or am i stuck with this version of windows?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Sure you can do it with Microsoft's Win10 USB installation tool. The Windows license is on the mainboard, not the boot drive. However, you might want to consider taking out the old drive as-is, putting it on a shelf for safe keeping, and installing Win10 on another new drive --- they're very inexpensive these days with huge capacities. Then, if you decide later you want to do Win11 again, just switch drives again.

I recommend the WesternDigital blue series of 2.5" or m.2 SSDs to install Win10. They're just about the best deals on the planet right now. Either should work just fine on your model

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,872 Trailblazer
    ysn20 said:
    My aspire 5 A514-54 came pre installed with windows 11 and since i do not like it, i wanted to downgrade to windows 10. i wanted to know if this would be possible since i am worried that i will lose my activation licence if i do downgrade. does this laptop model have downgrade rights? or am i stuck with this version of windows?
    Have a look at this MS article Downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10 and follow their instruction to all downgrades from Win-11 to 10 as the A514-54 has drivers for both but and IMO I would leave the Win-11 as this laptop works well Win-11 OS and going back to Win-10 will not be of any advantage for the future as Win-10 will become more and more obsolete. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Sure you can do it with Microsoft's Win10 USB installation tool. The Windows license is on the mainboard, not the boot drive. However, you might want to consider taking out the old drive as-is, putting it on a shelf for safe keeping, and installing Win10 on another new drive --- they're very inexpensive these days with huge capacities. Then, if you decide later you want to do Win11 again, just switch drives again.

I recommend the WesternDigital blue series of 2.5" or m.2 SSDs to install Win10. They're just about the best deals on the planet right now. Either should work just fine on your model

Jack E/NJ