trying to upgrade ram on my orion 5000 pc (PO5-615s)

Options
mocha
mocha Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
can anyone tell me if these ram kits are gonna work as intended with my setup, and what is the highest i can reach in terms of MHz?

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 LED Desktop Memory, Black : Amazon.ca: Electronics
XPG SPECTRIX D60G RGB Desktop Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 GREY - Newegg.ca

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,829 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    My bad, the 615s models do have XMP available in the BIOS. So, yes either of those should work. They'll be really slow until you go into the BIOS and turn on the XMP support but should be OK after that. The Crucial scanner can be helpful, but really only in telling which Crucial memory is supported, and they'll list them in the order of most expensive to least and not in best price/performance to least.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    Both of those are XMP memory and require XMP overclocking support on the motherboard to reach the rated speed. You need normal JEDEC memory at the same 3200 speed your motherboard is using. Those two will likely clock your motherboard down to 2133 to match their base speed. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mocha
    mocha Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited June 2022
    Options
    on cpu-z my southbridge shows as intel z490 which is overclockable if i remember that right and in my bios theres a tab under advanced cpu configuration to enable xmp. its currently greyed out since my current ram isnt xmp, but if i got xmp ram would the ones i linked work properly?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,029 Trailblazer
    Options
    mocha said:
    on cpu-z my southbridge shows as intel z490 which is overclockable if i remember that right and in my bios theres a tab under advanced cpu configuration to enable xmp. its currently greyed out since my current ram isnt xmp, but if i got xmp ram would the ones i linked work properly?
    Do the Crucial System Scan as that will tell you exactly what compatible ram your desktop can run. 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    My bad, the 615s models do have XMP available in the BIOS. So, yes either of those should work. They'll be really slow until you go into the BIOS and turn on the XMP support but should be OK after that. The Crucial scanner can be helpful, but really only in telling which Crucial memory is supported, and they'll list them in the order of most expensive to least and not in best price/performance to least.