Any ideas regarding a black screen Aspire 5 A514-53-5116.

Steren
Steren Member Posts: 6 New User
edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
My Acer Aspire 5 running windows 11 decided to switch to a black screen a couple of times yesterday with the blue active light on. When restarted those times, the display returned but then it went to a black screen again, with the blue active light on, no display at all, even dimly. I tried resetting it by holding the power button for a minute, I tried the Fn6 button and then the battery reset underneath. The screen stays black and the active light remains blue. When the laptop is off and plugged in the charging light will go from orange to blue but when I switch on, the battery light goes out. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    >>>I tried the Fn6 button>>>

It's FNF6, not FN6.

Search Windows start menu 'power plan' Click 'edit power plan'. Please post screenshot of result.

Jack E/NJ

• Steren
    Thanks for the reply, I’ve tried the key presses but no change. I can’t check the windows power plan because there is no display on the screen,  not even faintly. I tried it again this morning, making sure the battery was fully charged and it was the same; blue charge light but as soon as I turn it on the battery light goes orange for a second and then goes out. The screen stays black. I tried a small hdmi display to see whether that would show something but that was blank as well.
  • JackE
    >>> blue charge light but as soon as I turn it on the battery light goes orange for a second and then goes out. >>>

Does the power LED still stay lit?

Jack E/NJ

• Steren
    The power light stays lit but nothing seems to happen. 
  • JackE
    (1) How long have you had this machine?
    (2) What is the full Aspire 5 model number? For example, A515-54G?

Jack E/NJ

• Steren
    I’ve had it since mid October last, it was ex display so only had 6 months guarantee, unfortunately. The model is Aspire 5 A514-53-5116.
  • JackE
    Battery is acting like it has a shorted cell and overloading the charger. Unplug charger. Remove 10 screws (note two sizes) and pry off the bottom cover with a credit card wedge starting on the sides nearest the hinges. Then disconnect the battery from the mainboard. Button it back up and see if will run on charger alone.

Jack E/NJ

• Steren
    Thanks for that, I’ll get on with it and let you know. You’ve been very helpful.
  • Steren
    We’ll, the battery charge light flashed, to be expected I suppose. The power light glowed blue while I had the on button pressed and the charge light went out. The power light went out as soon as I let the power button go and rather charge light came back on. The battery was fully charged last night but it is very low now, I’ve had it back on charge for an hour now and the
    l e d is still orange.