RAM question regarding an Aspire TC886

chumbo
chumbo Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
Hi,
I'd like to upgrade from the standard 8GB RAM and max out at 2 x 16GB (the max possible on this PC). 
It comes with an 8GB Kingston DDR4 2666Mhz.
My first question is, what RAM can I use that will be compatible? I already bought a set of 2 x 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury for nothing because it turned out to be incompatible despite what Acer's support told me so I'd like to get it right this time around and not waste anymore money.  :(

And the other question...is the motherboard Dual Channel compatible or not?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Yes, the motherboard supports dual channel whenever you have matched sets of memory installed. I believe the reason the Kingston Hyper-X Fury didn't work is it is XMP memory, and only can reach the rated speed when overclocked using an XMP profile. When not using XMP it's speed is too low to match the 2400/2666 rating of the motherboard. (It's likely 2133 base, so somewhat slower than even the 2400). Get any of the 2666 JEDEC profile memory sticks and pair two 16GB modules to make the 32GB maximum memory with dual channel mode. They should be PC4-21300...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    chumbo said:
    Hi,
    I'd like to upgrade from the standard 8GB RAM and max out at 2 x 16GB (the max possible on this PC). 
    It comes with an 8GB Kingston DDR4 2666Mhz.
    My first question is, what RAM can I use that will be compatible? I already bought a set of 2 x 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury for nothing because it turned out to be incompatible despite what Acer's support told me so I'd like to get it right this time around and not waste anymore money.  :(

And the other question...is the motherboard Dual Channel compatible or not?
    Thanks in advance!
    Chumbo 
    Just as an addition regarding memory, do the Crucial System Scan (go to their site) as that will tell you all the compatible memory for your desktop of max and compatible ram kits that will work with your system. 
  • chumbo
    Right, I had done that already but that limits me to only one manufacturer. 
    The impression I'm getting is that I can't go by simple technical specs and for example pick any RAM that is DDR4, 2666Mhz, Non-ECC, unbuffered (no info on Cas Latency?). The exact brand/model has to be tried and tested to make sure it will be compatible?
    Any info on Dual Channel compatibility? 
  • billsey
    Pretty much any 2666 desktop memory that uses JEDEC instead of XMP will work. You don't need to go any deeper into specs than that. So, PC4-21300 should be enough to match what's needed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • chumbo
    Ok, thanks. I haven't seen any RAM being described as 'JEDEC' so I'll assume any RAM that is not XMP (which on the other hand seems always mentioned), is compatible...correct?  :|
    I'm guessing it's mostly the 'value' oriented RAM, those standard green PCB sticks with no fancy names like Hyper, Xtreme, Vengeance, Beast, etc...  ;)
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    chumbo said:
    Ok, thanks. I haven't seen any RAM being described as 'JEDEC' so I'll assume any RAM that is not XMP (which on the other hand seems always mentioned), is compatible...correct?  :|
    I'm guessing it's mostly the 'value' oriented RAM, those standard green PCB sticks with no fancy names like Hyper, Xtreme, Vengeance, Beast, etc...  ;)
    "chumbo" what I told you and suggested to you above is to do the "Crucial System Scan" only as a guide of the specs that you need (not buy their ram modules from them) but and as billsey has said "any DDR4-2666Mhz max spec ram for your desktop memory that uses JEDEC instead of XMP will work" as XMP is an overclocked ram that only works with mobos that have bios provisions for it which the TC-886 doesn't have.

The Acer quoted TC-886 memory specs are as follows:
    1.Works only with 
    DDR4 2666Mhz or 2400MHz JEDEC type ram.
    2.Works only with DDR4 288-pin DIMM type ram.
    3. Can have a Max of 32 GB total ram into its 2x modules numbered DIMM1~2, with max 2x 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz (which is the fastest) or the less speedier DDR4- 2400MHz type ram.
    4. Or the TC-886 can also be fitted, into its 2x slots numbered DIMM1~2 other types of DDR4 2666Mhz or 2400MHz combinations at either  2GB/ 4GB / 8GB / 16GB suitable JEDEC type ram.
    5. Acer also quotes that "You can also install memory modules in any combination as long as they match the ram OEM specifications" as I've quoted above.

Also and to save money and if you want to increase the TC-886's OEM Acer fitted ram, which is the DDR4 8GB ram to 16GB, is to install CPUz (and look at this software's Memory and SPD sections specs of your OEM ram) to give you the exact DDR4 8GB OEM memory and manufacturer that Acer has fitted to your TC-886 and buy exactly the same spec memory/capacity but not necessarily from the same manufacturer. as that will also work perfectly and will give you "Dual Channel" ram as and Acer quotes categorically this "
    NOTE: Dual channel should be enabled always when plug-in 2 same memory size DDR4 memory module" as "Dual Channel" is allot speedier and works much better for gaming and editing etc and will make your desktop perform to its best performance, this is a simple process and not very complicated as any consumer can do. Also and if you are running an SSD drive make sure that you enable TRIM in windows as that will also contribute to your SSD drive working to its full speed. Also make sure that all your drivers are up to date and Windows Update is also up to date.  
  • chumbo
    edited June 2022
    StevenGan...thx for the long and detailed reply!

One thing that still isn't clear is this question about JEDEC vs XMP which you quoted me on when you posted your reply and since I can't make it any clearer, I'll quote myself also  ;):

"chumbo said:
    Ok, thanks. I haven't seen any RAM being described as 'JEDEC' so I'll assume any RAM that is not XMP (which on the other hand seems always mentioned), is compatible...correct?  
    I'm guessing it's mostly the 'value' oriented RAM, those standard green PCB sticks with no fancy names like Hyper, Xtreme, Vengeance, Beast, etc...  "

Is this correct?
    So as long as it's DDR4 running at 2400 or 2666Mhz, non-ECC, unbuffered and NON XMP...I should be fine, yes?
    I ask because none of the RAM I've looked at is ever described as being JEDEC and I'm not sure if there are other things other than XMP I should be avoiding. In which case, if no mention of XMP might not be enough of a guarantee it's going to be compatible, hence my question.

As for the Dual Channel, I saw no mention of it in the BIOS? Is it maybe a setting that appears only when you in fact insert two sticks of RAM (since now there is only the original 1 stick of 8GB)?
    Cheers,

• billsey
    Yes, that pretty much covers it. Currently any unbuffered nonECC memory (so not server memory) that doesn't advertise XMP should be designed to the JEDEC (https://www.jedec.org/) standard.