Acer Aspire XC-830-UW91 sff desktop ram upgrade

mandawg
mandawg Member Posts: 23 Networker
Getting this new computer days ago I now have a question regarding ram upgrades:: Acer Aspire-XC-830-UW91 sff desktop.   Manufacturers ram as follows:: 4GB 1RX16 PC4-2666V-SCO-11 1.2v  and absolutely has "2- 260 pin ram slots":: Here's the confusion of it's actual maximum up-gradable ram::  Crucial=16gb   Memory stock=32gb?  Now secondary to that question is the factor of the ram itself:: Will 1xR8 ram modules work? And factoring in the total amount gb wise this laptop in a desktop will run lol my name for it is lapdesk rofl.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    mandawg said:
    Getting this new computer days ago I now have a question regarding ram upgrades:: Acer Aspire-XC-830-UW91 sff desktop.   Manufacturers ram as follows:: 4GB 1RX16 PC4-2666V-SCO-11 1.2v  and absolutely has "2- 260 pin ram slots":: Here's the confusion of it's actual maximum up-gradable ram::  Crucial=16gb   Memory stock=32gb?  Now secondary to that question is the factor of the ram itself:: Will 1xR8 ram modules work? And factoring in the total amount gb wise this laptop in a desktop will run lol my name for it is lapdesk rofl.

The cpu for this desktop the Celeron J4125U has an Intel memory specs of the following: Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8GB, Memory Types DDR4/LPDDR4 up to 2400 MT/s. and will run at dual channels. Do a "Crucial System Scan" and see what their suggested max ram is for your desktop as they guarantee their scans and the type of ram that they recommend. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    mandawg said:

The cpu for this desktop the Celeron J4125U has an Intel memory specs of the following: Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8GB, Memory Types DDR4/LPDDR4 up to 2400 MT/s. and will run at dual channels. Do a "Crucial System Scan" and see what their suggested max ram is for your desktop as they guarantee their scans and the type of ram that they recommend. 

• mandawg
    StevenGen said:
    mandawg said:

Yes my Crucial=16gb is what Crucial said:: And your reply about the double sided ram(dual channel) answers that question. I was just hesitant about it due to the fact of inserting new ram and it being able to lock down once installed. Memory Stock said the maximum ram was 32gb which I indeed do highly doubt.
  • mandawg
    I guess Acer feels safer at running 2 4gb of ram while Crucial states it's maximum capability is 2 8gb of ram
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,685 Trailblazer
    What Intel says the chipset (Gemini Lake) supports and what the motherboard supports are often two different things. Acer specs say "Support DDR4 1.2V 2400 Non-ECC SODIMMs (2GB or 4GB) dual channel up to 8GB total memory". So there are two memory slots on the motherboard. These numbers also match what Intel says about the chipset, up to 8GB maximum. Later versions of the XC-830 likely shipped with a Gemini Lake Refresh chipset which added the 2666 speed memory support, but didn't change what Intel says is the maximum memory. Since a lot of the designs using that chipset for hobbyist motherboards (such as the Intel NUC) people found that it seems to run with 16GB installed, but that's not supported officially. It's a toss up as to whether the reason Intel says it doesn't was a marketing decision to offer it at a lower price point or if it were due to some issues with running the higher address bits.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mandawg
    Yes Billsey this lapdesk :) indeed is a brand new computer and make of these I believe the manufacturing date on it says 07=21. As per usual as with most computers you hear this about ram from your brand you buy from. Then something else from the ram manufacturers when you want to upgrade. I do indeed have have 2 8gb of matching ram coming soon to install in this Acer Aspire 830-UW91 So when it's installed and either working or getting that dreaded beep beep beep of that's not going to work:: lol  I will absolutely post either way so others will have a guide to go by with this.
  • mandawg
    I do want to thank both You Billsey and StevenGen for responding to my post about this you both have provided valuable information for both myself and others who will no doubt be needing this vital information about ram upgrades in this model computer.
  • mandawg
    As of Today:: June 18,2022 I put another exact matching 1x16 4gb 1.2v in the 2nd ram slot. System had no problem at all with it and running fine::  Now the real test comes when the 2 8gb 1x8 8gb 1.2v sticks of ram get delivered and installed in the coming days(monday or tuesday most likely) June 20 or 21 and see if what Crucial ram said is indeed true that this computer is capable of running 2 8gb of matching ram and no problems with the system accepting it.
  • billsey
    My experience with Crucial is they are good about offering you their most expensive options, but less good for offering real tested configurations. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mandawg
    @billsey Yes those outfits like Crucial and Memorystock alike both tend to be that way.  I got the 2rx8 pc4 2666 cl19 260 pin 8gb ram installed today and now running a full 16gb of ram without a problem. So I'm going to say these XC-830-UW91 computers can indeed run 16gb ram (2 slots of 8gb). Sure helps make up for that puney J4125 cpu running @ just 2ghz.
  • mandawg
    edited June 2022
    Here's the full details of what this XC-830-UW91 Maximum Ram for this specific computer are:: 2 slots of 8gb 2rx8 pc4 2666 cl19 260 pin 1.2v ::   So if you have bought one of these as I just have that specific ram works flawlessly and computer will automatically recognize it on start up and shut down then reboot and you will have no problems.
  • billsey
    As long as Acer didn't do any in year updates to the MB, which we know they did... Yours is obviously the newer MB design that supports 2666 memory, a user with the older 2400 memory design may or may not be able to do that same thing.