Dead Unresponsive Acer Predator PH315-52, is it possible to replace a bad capacitor?

Options
Mortimer
Mortimer Member Posts: 1 New User

One morning after leaving my Acer laptop (Predator PH315-52) plugged in with the lid closed overnight (as one does), I noticed it was powered off and completely unresponsive. No basic troubleshooting steps would get any response, including attempting to power cycle, unplugging the battery and holding the power button down, trying to boot with no battery and just the power connected, nothing. No charge light turned on when plugging in, no fans or lights came on.

I tested the adapter and found 19.8v coming through, so that’s not the problem.

Testing the points in the image below, I found that I had 19.8v right at the power input, through the first two capacitors, and at the beginning of the two smaller capacitors circled in pink. At the other side of the small two capacitors I had no voltage at all. 

Testing a few other areas, I found some more spots that registered 19.8v, one spot that registered 3v, and the entire rest of the board registered 0v. It seems to me that the issue is with the two small capacitors circled in pink, but I’m not a computer repair guy so I don’t know. 

I’m looking for any advice. Is this fixable? Is there more troubleshooting I can do to narrow down the issue? 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Mortimer said:

One morning after leaving my Acer laptop (Predator PH315-52) plugged in with the lid closed overnight (as one does), I noticed it was powered off and completely unresponsive. No basic troubleshooting steps would get any response, including attempting to power cycle, unplugging the battery and holding the power button down, trying to boot with no battery and just the power connected, nothing. No charge light turned on when plugging in, no fans or lights came on.

I tested the adapter and found 19.8v coming through, so that’s not the problem.

Testing the points in the image below, I found that I had 19.8v right at the power input, through the first two capacitors, and at the beginning of the two smaller capacitors circled in pink. At the other side of the small two capacitors I had no voltage at all. 

Testing a few other areas, I found some more spots that registered 19.8v, one spot that registered 3v, and the entire rest of the board registered 0v. It seems to me that the issue is with the two small capacitors circled in pink, but I’m not a computer repair guy so I don’t know. 

I’m looking for any advice. Is this fixable? Is there more troubleshooting I can do to narrow down the issue? 

You need to take your laptop to an experienced tech that has all the tools to do this job, don't attempt to fix and/or change capacitors, mosts or anything unless you have the exact tools and parts to do this job, as the easiest way to find a short and/or damaged circuitries (yes you can use alcohol or as shown below in this video, your fingers) but, the best way is to use a thermal camera that can show you the exact components when you inject voltage that they are getting warn and are shorted. In this case it turned out to be a capacitor near the cpu power mosats that was blown and burned out and as soon as it was taken out the laptop turned on without this capacitor being replaced.

Have a look at this example of a Nitro 5 not turning on and charging (which is similar to your problem) and how to fix it but, this is only one symptom that can be wrong with your Predator laptop as there are other issues also that can cause your laptop to not power on. Look at this clip from "Electronic Repair School" and Sarin who's a very experienced tech and how he simplifies how to tackle these issues (which should be relevant to your problem) look at this clip at "ACER Nitro 5 gaming laptop repair - Not coming ON, not charging board repair” as these power/charging issues are complex and not everyone can analyse or repair them, as allot of time if you attempt to fix these problems, without the proper tools, you can do more damage than fix anything. Good luck and hope you sort this problem out and that this helps you out. 

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    They are SMD capacitors, which basically have the function of storing energy. It is necessary to know how to read the electrical schematic of the COVINI-CFS motherboard.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Sinbios
    Sinbios Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    They are SMD capacitors, which basically have the function of storing energy. It is necessary to know how to read the electrical schematic of the COVINI-CFS motherboard.

I can read the schematic, but where do I find it?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    How did you test the capacitors?
    https://youtu.be/EfTbAIDj_YY

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)