JUNE BIOS update prevented by Windows 11 then computer freezes

GadgetShowTech
GadgetShowTech Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited June 2022 in Windows 11

JUNE BIOS update prevented by Windows 11 then Explorer freezes 

Don't Run is the option provided

This update suggests that it will Improve system stability

Before I install I thought I would see if ACER CARE CENTRE would notify me of the update, but that has acquired the infamous  "Still Initializing" pop-up (in American even though my system is fully UK)

Answers

• GadgetShowTech
    edited June 2022
    I rebooted, and used care centre to see if it noticed there is an update, but as usual it did not.

To get past the warning Click more info, and then another button shows allowing to run anyway. 

It is best to temporarily disable antivirus software.

The update worked and was completed.
  • Did the bios update run successfully?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Yes, Microsoft sets the default for Defender SmartScreen to block anything it doesn't recognize, so things like a BIOS upgrade will always require manual intervention like you did in order to run. It's not an issue if you know to click the More Info link, but most people won't be able to figure that out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GadgetShowTech
    Did the bios update run successfully?

Yes it did.  But since ACER Care can not even TRIM an SSD, it does not surprise me that there software even scares or is not trusted by windows 11
  • GadgetShowTech
    billsey said:
    Yes, Microsoft sets the default for Defender SmartScreen to block anything it doesn't recognize, so things like a BIOS upgrade will always require manual intervention like you did in order to run. It's not an issue if you know to click the More Info link, but most people won't be able to figure that out.
    Or anything it does not have trust with.  
    BIOS updates on my previous computer managed it without clashing.

The manual intervention is surely after the main interface has loaded, and then when clicking apply etc. 

I've been using computers since Windows 3.11 and earlier 1993.   Then windows 95, 98, 2000, ME etc

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    My guess is you likely don't have Defender SmartScreen turned on. Most savvy users don't want to have to jump through hoops anytime they want to install something where the developers haven't paid Microsoft to get the certification needed to install without the hassle.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GadgetShowTech
    billsey said:
    My guess is you likely don't have Defender SmartScreen turned on. Most savvy users don't want to have to jump through hoops anytime they want to install something where the developers haven't paid Microsoft to get the certification needed to install without the hassle.
    Yes, it was on, along with whichever AntiVirus was installed in production.  
    I know with them off it would be more likely no warning. 
    Indeed. and yes that sounds about right.  

My experience has made me wary of Larger China companies.  On ebay I could expect low quality, but ACER retail I hoped would be different.