Monitor problems with Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S

Options
talynen
talynen Member Posts: 2 New User
edited June 2022 in Predator Laptops
Hello all,

Couldn't find anything in the search results, but wanted to ask here in case anyone has good info to provide.

I purchased this laptop (15.6", 144Hz display) last fall. Recently it seems like the display has developed some issues which I'm not sure if are being caused by the physical display failing or an issue with the graphics drivers (it has persisted through several driver updates).

Basically, there is a strip near the top of the screen which looks grainy and dis-colored constantly. https://i.imgur.com/6Yw8vOD.png
Sometimes when loading videos or games it also has problems showing "echoes" of images on the screen. https://i.imgur.com/x1wznbL.mp4

These traits seem similar to a small monitor I used for a Raspberry Pi that I'm pretty convinced had damaged itself from overheating, but the tendency for the echoed images to only happen when playing games or videos seems to indicate it crops up primarily when using the external graphics card (3060), rather than the integrated graphics. The discolored strip of pixels near the top of the screen is permanently present.

I use my computer a lot -- but it sits on a stand with plenty of airflow and doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the last two gaming laptops I had (one purchased 2010, the other 2018). It's never been dropped, hit, abused, torture-tested, or anything similar. I've never reduced the fan speed limits or done anything else that I can think of that could cause the display to fail at an accelerated rate.

Basically, what do you guys think is the most likely cause of this problem? Are there any obvious fixes I should try prior to contacting Acer support and trying to figure out how to get a replacement display?

Best Answer

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can use 'Chat Support' to directly contact Acer for display panel change for free if you're under warranty. Seems like a failing display.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!

Answers

• talynen
    talynen Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Also, the "repair my acer" page under the customer support section appears broken? When I enter my SN (or SNID) and the verification code nothing happens. I cannot locate any buttons to press to continue, or any keyboard inputs that get a response other than bringing up the "how to find your SN" window or refreshing the verification code. https://i.imgur.com/WUauoT9.png

Anyone know what's going on with that page or what the best way to try and get my laptop repaired under warranty is?
  • XdxD
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can use 'Chat Support' to directly contact Acer for display panel change for free if you're under warranty. Seems like a failing display.
  • XdxD
    Options
    It's resolved?
  • SeanONeil
    SeanONeil Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    l'm having the exactly same issue
  • XdxD
    Options
    Contact Acer support.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @SeanONeil Before sending the laptop in for repair, check if the issue also occurs in the bios. If it does not occur in the bios, but occurs in windows, it may indicate that the problem is not in the hardware. I would also check if this issue occurs by plugging an external monitor into the hdmi or dp port. I would also check the bios version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)