How to fix Acer Swift 3 SF314-54-33C7 Black Screen Problem

Options
MackyFD
MackyFD Member Posts: 7 New User
Hello! I am experiencing a problem with my laptop where in when I press the power button it’s just black. I experienced this problem when I put an extra 4GB ram and a 240GB M.2 SSD in the laptop. When I tried turning it on after I upgraded the laptop, it was not working. I also tried plugging in the charger and it was not charging. I removed both the ram and ssd and checked if it was the problem and it was not. So I did the 4 second battery reset with a paperclip. After doing that I plugged in the charger and it charged. Except it was not booting (No Display, BIOS, or OS). Once I pressed the power button the power indicator light turned on and it flashed blue then it was solid blue. Nothing was happening then moments after fans started spinning loud and it has been like that for a while now. I tried every other solution like plugging it to 3 external monitors, pressing fn combo buttons, and the battery reset a bunch of times still no luck. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    One of the more likely issues would be the cable that runs between motherboard and monitor got damaged or disconnected when you had it open... Check to make sure it's fully seated and routed correctly.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Did you disconnect the battery from the mainboard when inserted & removed the new RAM & SSD?

Jack E/NJ

• MackyFD
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Nope I didnt disconnect the battery from the mainboard
  • MackyFD
    edited June 2022
    Options
    billsey said:
    One of the more likely issues would be the cable that runs between motherboard and monitor got damaged or disconnected when you had it open... Check to make sure it's fully seated and routed correctly.

Do you know where or what the cable is? and wouldnt it still work if i plugged in an external monitor?

• JackE
    Options
    Some mainboards have a safety switch that cuts all power to  the mainboard if the base cover isn't fully and properly secured with screws snug. Check bottom cover

Jack E/NJ

• MackyFD
    Options
    Anything out of the ordinary?
  • MackyFD
    edited June 2022
    Options
    JackE said:
    Some mainboards have a safety switch that cuts all power to  the mainboard if the base cover isn't fully and properly secured with screws snug. Check bottom cover
    where is it near? alright will try

• MackyFD
    Options
    Oh I forgot to state that I accidentally broke the pins that hold the memory cover down. Does that affect anything?

• JackE
    Options
    The safety switch is often located around the periphery of the RAM socket. It would be a small springloaded normally-off button that must be depressed by a properly aligned and tightened bottom cover to keep it in the on state. Sometimes a spacer must be taped to the inside of the bottom cover so it presses harder against the button to keep it on when assembled. Since the switch location is not shown on the mainboard diagram, it might be located elsewhere on the mainboard. In any event, the bottom cover must be fully and properly secured.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with the cable for the display, it's up near the hinge toward the processor side of the memory cover. I also don't see any indication they have a case tamper switch installed. You may have zapped something by trying to put the memory in with power still connected from the battery. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MackyFD
    Options
    billsey said:
    I don't see anything wrong with the cable for the display, it's up near the hinge toward the processor side of the memory cover. I also don't see any indication they have a case tamper switch installed. You may have zapped something by trying to put the memory in with power still connected from the battery. :(
    Is that something that could be repaired?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I didnt disconnect the battery from the mainboard>>>Is that something that could be repaired?>>>

Sorry. No. Not usually repairable. If a safety switch didn't disconnect the battery --- and if battery wasn't in fact manually disconnected --- and if an electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding bracelet wasn't worn , then unfortunately yes the RAM/SSD might've been hot-swapped in a live circuit and/or critical chips on the mainboard were destroyed by a small ESD spark.  Either  of which can result in a dead mainboard.

Since it's difficult for us to actually confirm any of this on line without actually being able to work on the laptop on a bench in front of us, the best we can do is recommend that the bottom cover is fully and properly secured with all the screws.If it still doesn't work, then perhaps you can take it to a local laptop repair shop for an evaluation diagnose and repair estimate.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I agree, if it's been zapped the repair is a motherboard replacement... Not easy or cheap. :(
    If you are out of warranty get an opinion from a local tech to make sure we're not missing something by not physically seeing the machine.