Battery drains so fats in Acer predator triton 300

Options
offender_benders
offender_benders Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

First of all my English is not very good, so please excuse me if I make any mistake writing this.
I recently bought an acer predator triton 300, brand new in its box, all seals intact and I was even the first to uncap it and turn it on, or so it seems. Everything seems in order except that in the specifications it says that the battery should last about 8 hours, but when I disconnect the charger, it says that it only lasts 1 hour, and I tried it and that is really how long it lasted. Beforehand say that I was not running any game, just using visual studio.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,555 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>This is the result, this time battery lasted from 3 pm to 8 pm, only watching youtube,>>>

Looks better to me now. The practical full charge capacity is now less than the theoretical design capacity which is more realistic. I also should say  say that 5hr battery life on youtube videos you got earlier at half-brightness was pretty good too. Your battery seems to be in good shape. If visual studio drops battery life again, it's due to the visual studio power demands, not the battery hardware.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Open Task Manager Startup tab. Please post screenshot of result.

Jack E/NJ

• offender_benders

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Open Task Manager Startup tab. Please post screenshot of result.

• JackE
    Options
    OK. Looks good. Now follow these steps.

(1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.
    (2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.
    (3) Click run as administrator.
    (4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.
    (5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.
    (6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.
    (7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Options
    First of all my English is not very good, so please excuse me if I make any mistake writing this.
    I recently bought an acer predator triton 300, brand new in its box, all seals intact and I was even the first to uncap it and turn it on, or so it seems. Everything seems in order except that in the specifications it says that the battery should last about 8 hours, but when I disconnect the charger, it says that it only lasts 1 hour, and I tried it and that is really how long it lasted. Beforehand say that I was not running any game, just using visual studio.
    8 hours is not possible for your laptop except on sleep mode which 8 hours is even greatly exaugurated :D go to settings > power and battery and see settings there, it should tell you that > screen on - 4 hrs, sleep 7 hrs 3 min which is what my Nitro 5 says at fully charged 100% and just when I take the charge/plug out. Your 1 hour is very low and you must have the power settings wrong in the power & battery which the settings should be like this:

1. Power mode - Balanced
    2. Battery saver - Turned on at 20%

So check all these settings out and see if you can set it to these settings, if you still get a 1hr on power mode balanced then there is something wrong with this laptop. Don't open or do anything to the hardware as this laptop is under warranty, take photos of the battery settings of and how your laptop is saying 1 hr and that it only lasts 1 hr on battery power only. Make contact with Acer in your area and talk to technical service and get them to send you a postal label so that you can send this laptop back to Acer, as this laptop should have at least 4hrs functionality on battery alone, but that depends on your usage anf if you play games with it then this battery time will be less. Good luck and hope this helps you out as power issues are complex and need diagnosing if there is any faults within this laptops circuitries of their mosat, mosfet, capacitors, filters and their 3V or 5V power stage circuitries that could restrict the battery from charging and/or you could have a faulty battery fitted from new, which is not unusual these days. 
  • offender_benders

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    OK. Looks good. Now follow these steps.

(1) Search 'cmd' in Windows start menu.
    (2) Right click command prompt near top of menu.
    (3) Click run as administrator.
    (4) Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport' at command prompt.
    (5) Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer.
    (6) Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser.
    (7) Post screenshot of the first part of the report if possible that compares design full charge capacity with its remaining full charge capacity.

You mean this part ?, and thanks for your reply and help
  • JackE
    Options
    The battery's charge controller and meter are a bit messed up. Try this. Open Device Manager. Expand batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers you find in this folder. Exit Device Manager without re-installing anything.

Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' near the top of the next pane. Scroll down and UNcheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked.

Then shut down Windows normally plugged in. Wait for battery charge LED to turn from solid orange to solid blue. Then turn machine on again. After fully booted, unplug the charger and do some light internet browsing with screen brightness set to about 50%. Preferrably avoid or minimize using visual studio for this test to see how long the battery lasts.

When the battery drains to about the 10% level, plug the charger back in. After charging back to 100%, please run and post the battery report again.   

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The battery's charge controller and meter are a bit messed up.

This can happen, when the user does not calibrate the battery. I advise doing the procedure indicated by colleague jacke three times.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • offender_benders

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    The battery's charge controller and meter are a bit messed up. Try this. Open Device Manager. Expand batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL drivers you find in this folder. Exit Device Manager without re-installing anything.

Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' near the top of the next pane. Scroll down and UNcheck the box for fast startup if not already unchecked.

Then shut down Windows normally plugged in. Wait for battery charge LED to turn from solid orange to solid blue. Then turn machine on again. After fully booted, unplug the charger and do some light internet browsing with screen brightness set to about 50%. Preferrably avoid or minimize using visual studio for this test to see how long the battery lasts.

When the battery drains to about the 10% level, plug the charger back in. After charging back to 100%, please run and post the battery report again.   

This is the result, this time battery lasted from 3 pm to 8 pm, only watching youtube, but it's been an improvement since the first day I turned it on. Should I repeat the process 3 times?
  • offender_benders

Tinkerer

Options
    The battery's charge controller and meter are a bit messed up.

This can happen, when the user does not calibrate the battery. I advise doing the procedure indicated by colleague jacke three times.

Even the part that I uninstall the drivers, or only uncharge and charge the laptop?. By the way thanks to all for your replies
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Should I repeat the process 3 times? >>>

Yes, but for cycling only. Leave the drivers alone for now. The battery's full charge capacity still seems a bit inconsistent with its design capacity but not by much. Let's see what happens to full charge capacity after 3 full cycles.

Jack E/NJ

• offender_benders

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>Should I repeat the process 3 times? >>>

Yes, but for cycling only. Leave the drivers alone for now. The battery's full charge capacity still seems a bit inconsistent with its design capacity but not by much. Let's see what happens to full charge capacity after 3 full cycles.

ok, this is the result after doing all the steps three times. As always, I appreciate your support and answers.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Now it is showing the correct value.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>This is the result, this time battery lasted from 3 pm to 8 pm, only watching youtube,>>>

Looks better to me now. The practical full charge capacity is now less than the theoretical design capacity which is more realistic. I also should say  say that 5hr battery life on youtube videos you got earlier at half-brightness was pretty good too. Your battery seems to be in good shape. If visual studio drops battery life again, it's due to the visual studio power demands, not the battery hardware.

Jack E/NJ