How do I fix "There are no displays connected to this GPU" problem? Predator Triton 500, PT515-51

Options
ifxzict_system
ifxzict_system Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited June 2022 in Predator Laptops
I'm using Predator Triton 500, PT515-51, Core i7 9750h with RTX2060. This happen after I send the laptop to my friend for cleaning and reapply thermal paste also thermal pad services. After all of that process, seems like my GPU are detected but no output is FPS. I'm running the Elden Ring and got by 5 FPS only also I do the Benchmark test in Furmark and the FPS also dropped from 168 FPS to 15 FPS. Are

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)
 my GPU is dead or this is the software issues?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,694 Trailblazer
    Options
    Do you see any red or yellow warning symbols when you open Device Manager?

Jack E/NJ

• ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    No, there are not sign of red or yellow warning symbols in the device manager.
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    JackE said:
    Expand Display Adapters and share a screenshot.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    here you go.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,933 Pathfinder
    Options
    @ifxzict_system try to use display driver uninstaller to fully uninstall the Nvidia driver. Then get the newer driver from here and try again https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    @ifxzict_system try to use display driver uninstaller to fully uninstall the Nvidia driver. Then get the newer driver from here and try again https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
    Already try that, nothing happens, its still the same.
  • ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Thanks for the solution, but after the firmware update and I restarted the laptop its still the same results.

• ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    XdxD said:
    JackE said:
    Expand Display Adapters and share a screenshot.
    here you go.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I'm running the Elden Ring and got by 5 FPS only also I do the Benchmark test in Furmark and the FPS also dropped from 168 FPS to 15 FPS.>>>

What GPU temperatures are you seeing when doing these things?

Jack E/NJ

• ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I'm running the Elden Ring and got by 5 FPS only also I do the Benchmark test in Furmark and the FPS also dropped from 168 FPS to 15 FPS.>>>

I run the benchmark test again and this time with turbo boost button. This is what I get.
  • XdxD
    Options
    Seems like I get the same message when none of the applications use my dGPU. But games work properly with dGPU when I run them. Have you tried this out yet?

• JackE
    Options
    Furmark looks OK. Can you try to play something other than EldenRing?

Jack E/NJ

• ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

This is the GPU reading when I played Mafia Definitive Edition.
  • ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Furmark looks OK. Can you try to play something other than EldenRing?
    I tried played Mafia Definitve Edition, somehow the FPS is too unstable, even I set the settings to the lowest settings, I get by 20-30 fps. Here's the gpu reading when I played it.
  • ifxzict_system

Tinkerer

Options
    XdxD said:
    Seems like I get the same message when none of the applications use my dGPU. But games work properly with dGPU when I run them. Have you tried this out yet?

Woah, I thought this issues is just a rare case, but it seems like Nvidia need to take this matter seriously, but for your information mine happens that kind of statement "there are no displays connected to this GPU" even when I'm using windows 10. Right now I'm using windows 11 because I thought the problem will go away after I'm formatted the laptop to windows 11 by update all the drivers to latest version, turns out still the same result.
  • JackE
    edited June 2022
    Options
    GPU still looks OK. But CPU is too hot. What does EldenRing look like?

Jack E/NJ

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,933 Pathfinder
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @ifxzict_system the message "no display is connected to this GPU is normal" but upon looking at the CPU, GPU, and the GPU hotspot temperature, I suspect that they are overheating and leading to a low GPU clock (~330MHz). You can ask your friend to replace the thermal paste again. Make sure that the paste is a high-quality one like Kryonaut, MX-4, or Arctic Silver 5, and use the X method for the GPU die to avoid high temperature in the hot spot.

Temp:1 means that either CPU or GPU has exceeded normal temps and begun throttling.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    Options
    GPU still looks OK. But CPU is too hot. What does EldenRing look like?

Jack E/NJ

• XdxD
    Options
    XdxD said:

Woah, I thought this issues is just a rare case, but it seems like Nvidia need to take this matter seriously, but for your information mine happens that kind of statement "there are no displays connected to this GPU" even when I'm using windows 10. Right now I'm using windows 11 because I thought the problem will go away after I'm formatted the laptop to windows 11 by update all the drivers to latest version, turns out still the same result.
    This isn't an issue. Windows uses Intel GPU while running. It uses dGPU only when dGPU is required like in games. As others have suggested, it's definitely due to overheating CPU. Try using Gelid GC paste once since they perform better in laptops (from what I have read in Discord group).