Swift 3 SF314-511 has no boot options other than Windows Boot Manager

habana
habana Member Posts: 2 New User
I want to install linux on this laptop but there is no option to boot from usb. My BIOS is is V 1.11. I note that at least one other user has installed Manjaro linux in the past. Is it possible that earlier versions of BIOS have the option of booting from usb? It is clear from the Manual that the Boot sequence can be changed in the setup utility but it cannot be changed on this laptop.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Tap F2 on startup to enter the BIOS menu. Check to make sure the F12 boot option is enabled in the BIOS MAIN tab. Then press F10 to save settings and exit. Let it boot to Windows. Then shut the machine down normally. Then insert your bootable Linux installation stick. Then turn the machine on and immediately tap the F12 key. A boot menu should appear to allow you to boot from the Linux stick.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Tap F2 on startup to enter the BIOS menu. Check to make sure the F12 boot option is enabled in the BIOS MAIN tab. Then press F10 to save settings and exit. Let it boot to Windows. Then shut the machine down normally. Then insert your bootable Linux installation stick. Then turn the machine on and immediately tap the F12 key. A boot menu should appear to allow you to boot from the Linux stick.

Jack E/NJ

• habana
    habana Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you JackE. That worked!
  • JackE
    Congratulations. Thanks for reporting back. :)

Jack E/NJ