What agp gpu would I be able to install to my Acer Aspire XC-1660g uw93?

Options
Teenytuna488
Teenytuna488 Member Posts: 1 New User
I've opened it up and expanded the ram, now it's time for the graphics. I can see that there is an agp slot, but I am not a professional and don't know where to find the correct information to know what to do or how to do it, can someone help me figure it out?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It just needs to be one of the cards that doesn't require extra power. Your system has a 300W supply with the 6 and 8 pin power sockets on the motherboard, so there's a little more available for the GPU slot. You don't, however, have an extra 4, 6 or 8 pin power cable to connect to the GPU separate from what's available at the slot, so the more powerful cards will not work. You also have a fairly slim case, so a low profile card is best.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    Options
    I've opened it up and expanded the ram, now it's time for the graphics. I can see that there is an agp slot, but I am not a professional and don't know where to find the correct information to know what to do or how to do it, can someone help me figure it out?
    Teenytuna488 with these pre builds like your XC-1660G-UW93 with the i5-11400 that can handle 32GB max RAM, and with any gpu card upgrade, you have to first measure your internal spaces where your PCIe slot is and what spaces you have for a gpu card? Can youput a full card or a mini card versions of these gpu models? Also the XC-1660G-UW93 has an OEM 300W PSU and fitting a high end modern gpu wil need (in some cases) a higher PSU then a 300W, so look at your new gpu's required PSU? As these modern cards take allot of power also. Also you need to worry about cpu cooling (like a Noctua NH-U9S-CH-BK type system) and change the case fans to something like the NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM that its specs are 120,2 m³/h (volumetric flow rate) at 29,7 dB/A noise levels.

After you do all the above, look for the appropriate gpu that you can afford (as gpu cards even though have come down in price are still expensive) so, measure your spaces and see if a full AMD RX or an NVIDIA GTX or an RTX card will fit? The EVGA GTX 1650 Super SC Ultra Gaming is a great budget and appropriate gpu for this system, as really the XC-1660G-UW93 cant be made into a hard core gaming top rig. the card so is the I recommend the new RX6700 card or the RTX 2080 Ti, RTX 2080 Super or the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 OC ASUS TUF Gaming, with the AMD the RX-6700 XT or the higher RX-6800 that performs better than the RTX-3070 if you are looking for a card in that price range? All in all gpu's are dependent on your budget and what I've listed are the best for all. 
  • smithmal
    smithmal Member Posts: 4 New User
    edited January 2023
    Options

This is a small form factor (SFF) type PC. You can only use low profile GPU cards with it that do not require additional power from what is provided by the motherboard. Nvidia GTX 1650, 1050 or 1030 would work (low profile models) should work. I've tried using a low profile card from AMD (Radeon RX 6400) but the PC doesn't work properly (won't POST) so I'd stay away from AMD GPUs.

Here's a page indicating GPUs that work and have been benchmark tested: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-XC-1660G/243331