Acer mobo only working with nvida gpu's at3-605

Bother
Bother Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I have an acer aspire t desktop with an i7-4770 and 12gb of ram. Im using the mobo ram and cpu for a gaming rig for my brother. I have tried to get the amd rx580 to display off of the computer but with no luck. My Nvida gt1030 and my rtx 2080 super works fine off of the computer so it seems like it does not like amd cards. I have bought a 12pin to 24 pin mobo converter and hooked it up to a evga 600w 80+ psu which is plenty of power. The mobo is running bios version 2.15.1236 im not sure what the problem is but if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. 

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Might be helpful if you could specify the ACER motherboard model number or even the ACER desktop model number if it's not a home built. Check Device Manager display folder to make sure the integrated AMD GPU is detected and right click to make sure it's turned on.

Jack E/NJ

• Bother

Tinkerer

The acer model number is at3-605-ur21 The amd card is also detected when I booted with a gt1030 and the rx 580 in a mining extender so the gpu is detected but is not displaying (On this computer)
  • JackE
    If you can see anything on the monitor with the 580 plugged in, what does Device Manager Display adapters folder show when opened?

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    Bother said:
    The acer model number is at3-605-ur21 The amd card is also detected when I booted with a gt1030 and the rx 580 in a mining extender so the gpu is detected but is not displaying (On this computer)

The Aspire AT3-605 desktop (which is referenced on the Acer Drivers & Manuals site as the T3-605) does not have the bios version 2.15.1236 its got the version  P11.A4, make sure that you have this bios and also you have to have the proper Intel drivers (install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant) so that this mobo functions correctly, also make sure that you have the RX580 proper AMD GPU drivers for your OS that you are running, as that is also vital for this GPU card to work.

Your desktop the Aspire AT3-605-UR21 mobo with the Intel B85 chipset and the i7-4770 CPU (Max Memory Size: 32GB, Memory types: DDR3-1333/1600, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.5V) should run this GPU that supports PCI Express Revision at 2.0 and PCI Express Configurations for x1, x2, x4 and has Supported Processor PCI Express Port Configurations of 1x16 (which means, that the configurations indicates the number of lanes and bifurcation capabilities for which the processor PCI express port is enabled for the GPU) all these specs signify that your mobo's should work with the AMD RX580 GPU card, so try to see if this card works on another system and its not faulty in any way? As and if the GT-1030 and the RTX-2080 super cards are working on this mobo, indicates that there is something wrong with the AMD RX-580 GPU.

• Bother

Tinkerer

I couldn't see anything with the 580 but when I booted with the 1030 and the 580 on a mining riser I saw that the computer recognized it as a display adapter. And I tried to plug in a hdmi port but nothing.
  • JackE
    What riser are you using? Please post link to where you got it from.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    >>>when I booted with the 1030 and the 580 on a mining riser I saw that the computer recognized it as a display adapter. And I tried to plug in a hdmi port but nothing. >>>

Gently rub the gold 580 contacts with a soft cloth lightly dampened with 91% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol from HomeDepot. Pat dry with a cloth. Then re-seat the 580 in the mainboard's GPU slot a few times to help further clean and mate the contact surfaces. Try it again. 

Jack E/NJ

• Bother

Tinkerer

I just tried it and it did not work. Just to say again the card does work it works flawlessly in my other rig.
  • JackE
    When you change cards, are you unplugging the AC cable?

Jack E/NJ

• Bother

Tinkerer

Yes I do that

• JackE
    When the 580 is in the internal slot, what happens when you tap the DEL key IMMEDIATELY after turning on the machine?

Jack E/NJ

• Bother

Tinkerer

Sorry for the long response time but nothing happens.
  • JackE
    >>>I have tried to get the amd rx580 to display off of the computer but with no luck. >>>

Is this a generic AMD card? Or an OEM rx580 card specific to another manufacturer's mainboard? Where did you get it from?

Jack E/NJ

• Bother

Tinkerer

It was bought brand new a couple of years ago from amazon it is an xfx card. It was in my old gaming rig.
  • JackE
    Was your old gaming rig UEFI or BIOS bootstrapped?

Jack E/NJ

• Bother

Tinkerer

BIOS______
  • JackE
    The XFX version has reported problems in UEFI mode (CSM legacy BIOS overlay disabled) at this link.  The T3-605 should be in UEFI mode but there may be a switch in the BIOS BOOT tab to enable CSM for the video card only. I suspect this may also adversely affect booting Windows but the BIOS may then intialize the card so that a boot logo at least is visible. If this is the case and Windows won't boot. we can try a few workarounds that  may allow the card to work in UEFI only mode.  

Jack E/NJ

• Bother

Tinkerer

I loked over the link and noticed they mentioned a bios switch the card is now turning on and displaying just severely artifacting  
  • JackE
    >>>I loked over the link and noticed they mentioned a bios switch the card is now turning on and displaying just severely artifacting   >>>

Yeah. But I don't think that's gonna entirely solve the issue in this case as long as the T3 remains in UEFI bootstrapping mode. In my opinion, I really don't think it's worth trying to force this card to work in the T3 by going Legacy VBIOS mode if it interferes with booting Windows. You can try to temporarily switch to VBIOS compatibility mode (CSM) in the Boot tab  to see what happens. If it looks more stable, then maybe we can try a few other workarounds without interfering with the existing Windows installation.

Jack E/NJ