Windows 11 upgrade/switching to, TravelMate B311R-32-C31R

bluepen61
bluepen61 Member Posts: 30 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
I just finished setting up my new TravelMate B311R-32-C31R in Windows 10 Pro.  I decided to update to Windows 11, so I checked the docs on Acer Support site for this model and downloaded "Switching Operating Systems (OS)".  It appears I have three choices.

1. Update/switch using Acer's Recover Management in Control Center.
  2. Update/switch using <alt> + <F10> keys.
  3. Download/force/wait for Windows 11 update
#1 strays from the instructions given.
#2 I could not boot into Acer's Recovery Management during boot up.
#3 This probably works, but curious as to why the other two built-in options do not.  I know the emmc drive has been partitioned by Acer with a hidden part by checking the drive C: properties.  

TIA, John

bluepen61

from my TravelMate Spin B311R-31-C32R laptop

Windows 11 - 23H2

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>I just finished setting up my new TravelMate B311R-32-C31R in Windows 10 Pro.>>>

Was WinPro the factory version?

Jack E/NJ

• bluepen61
    Thank you JackE for replying!

Yes Windows 10 Pro is factory.

The <alt> <F10> takes me to the Windows Fix, Recovery, Go to Safe Mode, Troubleshooting, etc., screen. I forget what is on that screen as I rarely ever need it.

The Control Center method takes me to Windows Recovery.

Windows 10 Pro has updated to 21H1.  And I have not manually downloaded any Windows updates.  The only updates have been through Windows Update in Settings.

Bios version is 1.08.

John

bluepen61

Windows 11 - 23H2

• JackE
    edited May 2022
    One more question. Did you special order WinPro instead of WinHome? Or did the dealer give you a choice?

Jack E/NJ

• bluepen61
    Amazon purchase.  No choice in OS. As listed for this model at Acer.  Appeared to be a normal factory install of 10 pro, the product id in settings ends in OEM.

bluepen61

Windows 11 - 23H2

• bluepen61
    Issue partially, but mostly solved - updated to Windows 11 through Windows 11 Download.  -  Yes, I googled Windows 11 Download and found the Microsoft Download Windows 11 page.  Selected option 1 - Download and run Windows 11 Installation Assistant.  Seemed to take hours, and it worked.

Then I downloaded the applicable drivers from Acer, and applied most of them.  Some were already at the version given, just a different date.  A couple didn't appear like drivers, lacking a setup application, so I avoided those.  There were 2 bluetooth and wi-fi drivers.  My hardware had the AX201 chip/device so I used that one.  Use your serial number to check the specs of your Travelmate.

So, yes, I have upgraded to Windows 11 on my TravelMate.  To be exact, Windows 11 Pro, version 21H2.

A plus I noticed was the screen adjusted to the correct orientation when I flipped the screen from laptop to tablet mode!!

Thank you JackE for helping me think this through.

John

bluepen61

Windows 11 - 23H2

• JackE
    >>>#3 Download/force/wait for Windows 11 update
    >>>#3 This probably works, but curious as to why the other two built-in options do not.  I know the emmc drive has been partitioned by Acer with a hidden part by checking the drive C: properties. 

Congrats!! Thanks for reporting back. You're instincts were apparently correct. I think the other two options are not TravelMate model specific, but TravelMate series generic  The ALT+F10 cold boot method should've worked but this might've only applied to models with factory WinHome

Jack E/NJ

• bluepen61
    That makes sense.  My only experience with Home is to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro to use Remote Desktop Connection.

Why is system restore points disabled?  I enabled it and created a restore point, set a maximum space for retore points, etc.

bluepen61

Windows 11 - 23H2

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    System restore points are disabled by default by MS because they makes things just a bit slower when doing updates and app installs. I always turn it on first thing, since I'd rather have the recovery option that the slight speed improvement. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.