Recovery Partition of windows 8 Aspire V5

Options
AspireV5user678
AspireV5user678 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, 👋🏼 I have an Acer Aspire V5 Laptop running windows 8.1 and I updated it a couple of years ago (to 8.1). But I want to reset it but it has a recovery partition of windows 8 on it and I don’t want it to revert back to windows 8. 
Is there any way I can reset it without reverting back to windows 8 with the recovery partition?

please help 🫥

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,778 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @AspireV5user678 I just checked the info and updating to Windows 8.1 from 8 is still free.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    Options
    @AspireV5user678 does it has Remove everything and reinstall Windows option?
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi, 👋🏼 I have an Acer Aspire V5 Laptop running windows 8.1 and I updated it a couple of years ago (to 8.1). But I want to reset it but it has a recovery partition of windows 8 on it and I don’t want it to revert back to windows 8. 
    Is there any way I can reset it without reverting back to windows 8 with the recovery partition?

please help 🫥
    Resetting can be done if you keep all the files as it will not reset to Win-8 but to Win-8.1. I would strongly advise you to update your Win-8.1 to Win-10 Pro as its a FREE Microsoft update as Win-10 is 1000% better but, first, backup all your personal files and then do the update. I've done this update also to my Aspire V3-571G which is virtually the same laptop that had the Win-8.1 version and it updated for free and to Win-10 Pro but this was years ago and it worked perfectly on the V3 laptop. So try the upgrade as Win-8.1 is ancient and Win-10 Pro heaps better of an operating system that will work perfectly with your V5.  

Also do the following (if you are prepared to spend money on this laptop?) to make Win-10 Pro perform to its peak:
    1. update bios to the V5's last bios update
    2. keep all drivers up to date and windows update also
    3. make sure that you have a 2.5" SSD drive as that is needed for the OS
    4. upgrade ram to 8GB (2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz SO-DIMM 204-pin) or even to 2x 4GB DDR3-1866MHz SO-DIMM 204-pin as it works 100% 
    5. this laptop can handle a max of 16GB (2x DDR3-1600Mhz (do the Crucial; System Scan) for all RAM/SSD upgrades suitable

• AspireV5user678

Tinkerer

Options
    @StevenGen firstly my laptop if exactly the same as yours and secondly I hate windows 10 🤮🤢 I’m NOT updating. Is there a workaround without updating?
  • AnhEZ28
    Options
    @AspireV5user678 maybe you can try to test the resetting option. If it reverts to Windows 8, you can still update to Windows 8.1 again.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    @StevenGen firstly my laptop if exactly the same as yours and secondly I hate windows 10 🤮🤢 I’m NOT updating. Is there a workaround without updating?
    I didn't say that my V3-571G was exactly the same as your V5, as the V5 is an upgraded version of the Aspire V series laptops, mine is similar with a 3rd Gen Intel CPU, chipset etc etc if you insist on running Win-8.1 and doing a "Reset" do it and make sure that you keep all your previous files and it does just a "Reset"

Also and to be sure before you do the "Reset", backup your 8.1 personal files (to make sure that they don't get deleted in any way) and then do a backup with a software like "Macrium Reflect 8" that has an "added option for a System Recovery menu option in the boot menu" so that if the reset does anything to your existing OS or personal files then, you can easily do a "Restore" to your previous 8.1 OS, as you cant have it both ways.
  • AspireV5user678

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28are you sure I will be able to update to 8.1 because I thought the free update was only offered for a year or so
  • AnhEZ28
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @AspireV5user678 I just checked the info and updating to Windows 8.1 from 8 is still free.
  • AspireV5user678

Tinkerer

Options
    AnhEZ28 said:
    Thanks 🙏