Can't reinstall Windows 10 on Acer Aspire V3-112P

StanleyGie
StanleyGie Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi All.
Please help with this issue I have been struggling with for days...   regarding repairing my Windows 10 OS.  
I was getting a WHEA error - which I googled and found it was most likely hardware, but could be software.  I ran a chkdsk /r on the notebook when it stopped and started preparing for automatic repair, that just got stuck.   I decide to make a windows media tool to resolve the issue.  When booting from the USB it just had the ACER logo with the small circle - Also forever.  Then after some research, it was suggested to disable secure boot.  Again I tried the same situation.  Then I changed to Legacy -  Now the windows startup block appeared for a second and then change to a blank screen and just got stuck again.  There are no beeping errors, Laptop doesn't struggle to switch on.  I just can't figure out, why this laptop is not loading the USB to reinstall or repair the windows operating system.  I've tried rufus, I've created a bootable USB with the window's installation operating system.  It's 64 Bit Windows 10.    Any pearls of wisdom of how to get to the bottom of this would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks Stanley

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    (1) Change BIOS back to UEFI mode.
    (2)  Make sure F12 boot option is enabled in BIOS Main tab.
    (3)  F10 to save BIOS settings and exit
    (4) Press and hold power button till laptop shuts off
    (5) Unplug charger.
    (6) Gently insert and press paperclip into battery disconnect pinhole for 1 minute
    (7) Plug charger back in but wait the battery charge LED to turn from solid orange to solid blue
    (8) Use another USB thumbdrive with at least 16GB capactiy  to make a new Win10 installation USB using Microsoft's media creation tool
    (9) Insert the new USB installation stick
    (10) If battery charge LED is solid blue, turn laptop on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping F12 key
    (11) A menu should appear to allow you to boot from the Win10 installation USB. If not, shut down again and try another USB port.

Jack E/NJ

• StanleyGie

Tinkerer

Hi Jack

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
    I followed your steps to the letter.

Correctly set the bios, charged reset etc.

Made a new USB with the Media tool

The Acer recognized the usb, I can see the USB starting to flicker while data was read, but still, the Acer stays on the Acer logo with the circling circle.

I am hesitant to take it to our PC shop as we only have one, with not so good reputation.  
    Telephonically they suggested that the HDD might have gone and require a new one. But I was under the impression that the computer HDD is not required for the Acer to get into installation mode from the USB.    I would expect that the HDD would only need to be accessed once OS choices have been made...etc  Is my understanding correct or is it possible it is the HDD?

I can't believe this Notebook is causing me such frustration.  

Any other suggestions or workarounds would be great and much appreciated. 

Thank you, Stanley
  • StanleyGie

Tinkerer

If I attached an external HDD to the Laptop - and still would be able to access the installation mode from the USB, surely that suggests that it can't be the HDD.   I'm confusing myself with all these options...  
  • JackE
    Try this. Remove installation stick. Then press and hold power button till machine shuts off again. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Please post a phone photo of the BIOS INFORMATION tab if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• StanleyGie

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Hi Jack. Attached are the photos as requested.  Also, I experimented with adding an external drive to the notebook (also made sure it was visible in Bios) and tried the exercise again (testing the theory that maybe it was the HDisk and checking whether it would use the external to load) but with the same result.  Acer logo with the circle rotating...     ( I make use of the F12 key to select the boot drive)

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

• JackE
    >>> windows media tool>>>disable secure boot.  Again I tried the same situation.  >>>

Do you get this exact same screen with and without the USB stick  AND with and without secure boot? That's 4 different boot options yielding the exact same screen?

Jack E/NJ

• StanleyGie

Tinkerer

Hi Jack.  No different.  With No usb, it tries to boot from the installed OS and then give - preparing automatic repair
    With USB and F12 to boot from USB - acer logo and only the circle rotating  (no message on screen)   The USB processes a lit (flashing) and then stops
    With No USB on Legacy setting (No secure boot)  - also only the logo and circle
    With Usb on legacy setting with F12 USB boot, the acer logo comes up, and then the windows logo (as if it is going to go into the installation phase) then the window logo goes away and only a blank screen - it then just stays with that Blank screen.  

• JackE
    >>>With No USB on Legacy setting (No secure boot) >>>

We're only concerned with UEFI mode secure boot. That is, what happens to the USB boot stick when secure boot is UEFI mode enabled. And also when secure boot is UEFI mode disabled.

Jack E/NJ

• StanleyGie

Tinkerer

Hi Jack
    Thank you for assisting me with this dilemma.  I am ever grateful.  I have followed the process of your original suggestion (Resetting paperclip, charging etc.)
    Attached are the four bootup results.  

• JackE
    OK. Let's try this. Insert the USB boot stick. Then turn the machine on and immediately tap F2 to enter the BIOS menu again. Enable secure boot in the BOOT tab. Then got to SECURITY tab and click select UEFI file as trusted. The next screen should present HDD0 and the USB stick. Chose the USB stick. The next screen should present an EFI folder on the stick. Click on this. The next screen should present a BOOT folder. Keep clicking thru subfolders if necessary till you get to a file with an EFI extension, probably bootx64.efi or something similar. After chosing the efi file as trusted, try to boot from the USB stick again.

Jack E/NJ

• StanleyGie

Tinkerer

Hi Jack

Thank for another suggestion.  Unfortunately, no luck.  Once again the Logo screen appears and that is where the progress stays.  I'm not one to give up, but I think this Acer has me beat.  I think it's time to see whether a technician might be able to dicyfer what the issue is.  

Thank you for all your suggestions and guidance.  Much appreciated.

Cheers Stanley 
  • JackE
    >>>I'm not one to give up,>>>

OK. Now it's time to pull the trigger on deleting the secure boot settings

Jack E/NJ

• StanleyGie

Tinkerer

Thanks for your assistance Jack, I honestly appreciate it.   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W8AexIBGTNGiDRiYZCnjqTbEer2MwjVM/view?usp=sharing   This is a poor quality photo of what the screen looks like when trying from a Legacy setting - Non secure - You can see the Windows logo appears for a bit and then disappears.  And then...  nothing -  the screen remains on - but no image.