USB port completely unresponsive after connecting USB hub to SFX14-41G-R1S6

Options
Wormyyyxd
Wormyyyxd Member Posts: 6 New User
Hi everyone,

30 minutes ago I plugged in a USB 3.0 hub I ordered from Amazon into my Swift X (SFX14-41G-R1S6). As I started connecting several devices, I noticed a power input on the hub itself and wondered whether it needed a power cable that wasn't included. I decided to try and connect a power cable I had that looked similar (it didn't fit) and suddenly the whole computer switched off. 

Upon rebooting, the USB port I plugged the hub into (the 3.0 port) is completely unresponsive, and the hub itself doesn't seem to do anything either. I have already tried uninstalling the drivers from the device manager and editing the power plan to disallow the computer from disabling the device. I'm starting to fear the USB port is completely bricked. Is there anything I can do?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> I decided to try and connect a power cable I had that looked similar (it didn't fit) and suddenly the whole computer switched off. >>>

It might help if you could reveal the Amazon hub model that you got and the power cable you tried to use that didn't fit.

Jack E/NJ

• Wormyyyxd
    Options
    i JackE said:
    >>> I decided to try and connect a power cable I had that looked similar (it didn't fit) and suddenly the whole computer switched off. >>>

It might help if you could reveal the Amazon hub model that you got and the power cable you tried to use that didn't fit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R86STK4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details Here is the hub I used, and the cable I used was the laptop charger. I know it was a dumb thing to do, but to be fair I wasn't trying to fully connect it, but rather compare the size to see if it was close. 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>the cable I used was the laptop charger.>>>

Are you suggesting that you tried to plug the SFX charger shown below in the hub?

Jack E/NJ

• Wormyyyxd
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>the cable I used was the laptop charger.>>>

Are you suggesting that you tried to plug the SFX charger shown below in the hub?

Yes.       
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, you tried to plug the laptop's 5.5mm 19volt 90watt plug into the adapter's 3.5mm 5volt 20 watt jack.

If the plug's center hole & barrel made contact with the jack anyway even though it wasn't fully plugged in, I'd guess that whatever USB devices you had in the adapter may have been fried since they all operate at 5volts not 19volts and the polarity might have been reversed. The adapter itself may have been damaged as well.

The only way to test if the laptop's USB port was also damaged, is to see if it recognizes a known-good USB device that wasn't exposed to 19volts.

Jack E/NJ

• Wormyyyxd
    Options
    JackE said:
    Sorry, you tried to plug the laptop's 5.5mm 19volt 90watt plug into the adapter's 3.5mm 5volt 20 watt jack.

If the plug's center hole & barrel made contact with the jack anyway even though it wasn't fully plugged in, I'd guess that whatever USB devices you had in the adapter may have been fried since they all operate at 5volts not 19volts and the polarity might have been reversed. The adapter itself may have been damaged as well.

The only way to test if the laptop's USB port was also damaged, is to see if it recognizes a known-good USB device that wasn't exposed to 19volts.
    So actually, none of the devices that were connected to the hub at the time were damaged, and if they were then they still seem to work. However, the USB 3.0 port that the hub was connected to doesn't recognize any devices, and I have tried several. Now the question is, can I replace the port or am I permanently down to one?
  • JackE
    Options
    Google search the replacement USB board part no. 55.AB6N2.001 for vendors who ship to your location. About $50usd. The bottom cover, fan and thermal module must be removed in order to replace it if you decide to do it yourself.

Jack E/NJ

• Wormyyyxd
    Options
    JackE said:
    Google search the replacement USB board part no. 55.AB6N2.001 for vendors who ship to your location. About $50usd. The bottom cover, fan and thermal module must be removed in order to replace it if you decide to do it yourself.
    Thank you, I really appreciate it. Is there any soldering involved?
  • JackE
    Options
    No soldering. It's a ribbon cable from the USB3 board connector to the motherboard connector.

Jack E/NJ

• BurntOC
    BurntOC Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

Does this part look like this? My plastic pin guides or whatever just fell away and now I think a pin has gotten bent. I've tried Googling for whatever part this is and I can't find it. @JackE , can you help me ensure I'm on the right path? @JackE

• JackE
    Options

BurntOC

This thread is over 3 mos old. For more exposure, please start your own new thread by clicking on the green ask a question button

Jack E/NJ

• BurntOC

Tinkerer

Options

Will do. (More characters to meet some sort of silly rule).

• BurntOC

Tinkerer

Options

Realized my last comment may sound like I was upset I needed to start a new thread. It was on the minimum character count for a post. Just wanted to ensure I wasn't misunderstood. Got some pointers in the new thread - thanks again.