Raid setup on Predator PT515-51

ACG
ACG Member Posts: 3 New User
Have installed 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 NVME drives (new) into the laptop and am struggling to setup RAID.  The Bios is the most current v1.13 and Intel RST comes up with a software error (0xA0050055) when trying to make the Raid volume, and although RST reports the volume successfully created it is not.

I cannot seem to find a guide to setting up RAID on this laptop using RST and am therefore hoping someone is able to assist. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    ACG said:
    Have installed 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 NVME drives (new) into the laptop and am struggling to setup RAID.  The Bios is the most current v1.13 and Intel RST comes up with a software error (0xA0050055) when trying to make the Raid volume, and although RST reports the volume successfully created it is not.

I cannot seem to find a guide to setting up RAID on this laptop using RST and am therefore hoping someone is able to assist. 

If you are getting error code 0xA0050055 when trying to sort out Intel Optane Technology after a fresh install of Windows 10, try this:

• Install the lastest Intel RST driver – use: Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)
    • Leave at least 5GB unallocated at the end of the hard drive main drive
    • Initiate the Optane drive in disk management – can try formatting the drive or having it blank either seems to be ok
    • Make sure BIOS is set to use Inter RST Intel Optane Technology (name may vary but you should see an option)
    • Installing windows in UEFI mode and not legacy
    Then install the RAID O or 1 onto your laptgop, try that.
  • ACG
    Thankyou @StevenGen for your reply.  Interestingly, there is no option to switch between Legacy and UEFI mode in the Bios, or at least none that I could find even after viewing an Acer video on the subject.  A couple of pages in the Bios contain items that cannot be changed (Security and Boot), so I shall flash the current version to see if that behaviour can be changed.
  • ACG
    No luck @StevenGen.  After creating a raid volume in RST (still with the 0xA0050055 error message) the second ssd disappears from Disk Management
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    ACG said:
    No luck @StevenGen.  After creating a raid volume in RST (still with the 0xA0050055 error message) the second ssd disappears from Disk Management

Try this as it worked for another community members PT515-51 and this is how he got the initial M.2 recognised, Before installing SSDs I made a recovery USB using acer care then I installed SSD's (for some reason I couldn't install windows via Rufus created USB). After installing Windows via recovery USB, I created RAID array using “Intel RST tool on Windows”. After creating RAID array I could install Windows on RAID array! So try this same method.

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    ACG said:
    Thankyou @StevenGen for your reply.  Interestingly, there is no option to switch between Legacy and UEFI mode in the Bios, or at least none that I could find even after viewing an Acer video on the subject.  A couple of pages in the Bios contain items that cannot be changed (Security and Boot), so I shall flash the current version to see if that behaviour can be changed.
    You need to setup Supervisor password in BIOS to be able to change most of the settings.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!