Acer Nitro AN517-53 Upgrade Advice

BacchusChips
BacchusChips Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2022 in Nitro Gaming
Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance as it was my first time opening up a laptop and first time planning on upgrading something!

I am planning to upgrade with the same RAM that I have in here which is a "Sk Hynix 8gb 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA-SA2-11 HMA81GS6DJR8N-XN N0 AD" I have seen some models online where that last affix 'HMA81GS6DJR8N-XN N0 AD' ends in AC rather than AD. Is there a compatibility issue there or will I be fine as long as the model number is the same?

Next thing I wanted to upgrade was my storage space since my laptop did not come with the HDD/SSD SATA cable to save some money I decided to go for using the extra M.2 SSD slot, I was scanning all around for this slot and I just wanted confirmation of the below where I circled in blue, does that look like the correct slot and my main concern is that ribbon component next to in yellow tape. I am certain if I install the M.2 it will sit on top of this, will this cause any issues?

Last thing is I've seen seeing some M.2s that come with heatsinks, what is the importance of this addition as my current installed M.2 does not have a heatsink by the looks of it.

Thank you for your help!

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    @BacchusChips
    RAM: you don't really need to buy the same model as the original RAM. You can get it from other brands like Samsung, Crucial, Adata, and Kingston, ... With DDR4-3200MHz specs.
    M.2 slot: Yes, that is the correct spot and it will be fine. The heatsink is on the laptop's bottom cover. You should see a thermal pad sitting in the corresponding place when you look at it.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • BacchusChips
    BacchusChips Member Posts: 2 New User
    @AnhEZ28
    Thanks for your response!
    For now I wanted to stick with the original RAM as its surprisingly affordable - then I'll take the leap if I ever need 32gb..

Out of curiosity do you have any idea what that curved strip is on the motherboard? (between the yellow tape). It just feels so wrong to make contact with it if I install the M.2!
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,761 Pathfinder
    @BacchusChips that is just a ribbon connector from the motherboard to the USB and ethernet ports hub. The M.2 will sit on it just fine.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!