Qualcomm Atheros swift x SFX14-41G

martas24
martas24 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello, my mobile hotspot from my notebook acer swift x SFX14-41G stopped working today. When i was looking for a issue, I noticed that Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver is missing in my PC. Where could i download it? I was looking for this driver on support product and there were other drivers for thin notebook, but there wasnt Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,928 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    martas24 said:
    Hello, my mobile hotspot from my notebook acer swift x SFX14-41G stopped working today. When i was looking for a issue, I noticed that Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver is missing in my PC. Where could i download it? I was looking for this driver on support product and there were other drivers for thin notebook, but there wasnt Qualcomm Atheros wireless driver

Firstly, there is no such model as the “Swift SFX14-41G” as your Swift is probably the Swift SF314-41G. Also losing a Wi-Fi or BT drivers from Device Manager is nothing new or unusual! Also it would be helpful if you could mention what exact model number your Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi/BT card is? As I could point you to the exact and latest drivers for your card.

If your Wi-Fi and driver are missing in “Device Manager” then look at the Bluetooth driver and see if it matches the Acer Swift SF314-41G BT driver of the NFA344A Liteon card on the Acer site? As that could give you a good indication of the Wi-Fi Acer card you have! IMO the card that you have is the LiteOn card that he drivers are on the Acer Swift SF314-41G drivers site at this link and download the “Wireless LAN Driver (NFA344A Liteon) Version: 11.0.10466 as that is the Acer Swift SF314-41G Wi-Fi card that you have and that is a Qualcomm Atheros card, so install that driver.

If you want to check and make sure what exact model number Wi-Fi card you have, then do this:

1. In Win-10, type system info in the search bar on the taskbar and select the System Information option

2. In the System Information window, click the + symbol next to Components in the left navigation area.

3. Click the + next to Network and highlight Adapter. The right side of the window should display complete information about the network card. For example, go down to the Name > (00000003)...... which is the 3rd titled Name in that list, as that should tell you the exact model name/number of your Wi-Fi card.

Also there is another Qualcomm Atheros driver’s site where you can get all the latest drivers so look at this link   as that should have all the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Qualcomm Atheros drivers for Win-XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10. 

• martas24
    martas24 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you so much for your answer. There is actually notebook model Swift SFX14-41G. There is also important information than I am using windows 11 thought my question here have windows 10 tag. Here is a link for my model support. I installed Wifi(MT7921LE) driver from this official site, but it didn't help. The issue is still there, that means when i turn on mobile hotspot on my laptop, it turns on, but when i try to connect to it for example from my phone(i tried more devices and it behaved the same way) the connecting fail. I tried different solutions like reinstall all network drivers, reset network settings, pause firewall but nothing helped. I also found this in command prompt.
    It says that hosted network is not supported, but the mobile hotspot worked before. According to your answer I looked for my model number Wi-Fi card and i think [00000009] MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT 7921 Wireles LAN Card is what we are looking for.
    I am also enclosing screenshot of network andapters from device manager, because i think it could be helpful.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    I see Acer has two copies of the driver on their support site, with identical version numbers and different dates. Try rolling back to the older one to see if it makes a difference. It's up to Mediatek to support Hosted Network functionality and it looks like they removed it at some point. I wonder if they were having too many issues when it was still supported?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,762 Pathfinder
    @martas24 did you try to check if the password is correct? It might be changed after the network reset.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • RobRock68
    RobRock68 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm not sure if you ever resolved this issue, but my findings are that the SFX-14-41G has several engineering issues, including the use of this card. I have the exact same model, and experienced similar issues, up to and including total loss of WIFI and BT. However, my solution on the first one (yeah, I bought two of these), was to just replace the card with one from an older notebook. NO ISSUES since. The second solution was to remove the screws, open it up, and discover that the card was contacting the internal shield for the case, and was shorting things out. I did this after getting the complete runaround from acer support.

Oddly enough, my issues started around march, and to some extent still remain an issue. Probably damaged the card a bit, or the MOBO. It's slow to connect to the network, but is no longer a crapshoot whether it's going to connect or not.

So, here's what I did in order

find the installed driver on your computer and remove it. You can do this in device manager

shutdown

open case - I found a vid on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVlsjyq7png

disconnect the battery.

Hold power button down for minimum of 5 seconds (this discharges any residual energy stored in the capacitors and prevents electric shock, and/or damage to the mainboard)

Physically remove WIFI card

connect batt

close it up (leave the screws out because you'll take it apart again soon)

reboot.

Do a search to find any remnants of the driver. This part is a little hazy, but I remember looking. Many apologies for that.

finding none hopefully, you'll grab the most recent driver from ACER and install it.

repeat steps you took to remove the card, and reinstall it in the computer. However, after putting the board back in, and connecting the antenna wires, completely cover the cards exposed metal surfaces with electrical or Kapton tape.

replace the case cover, but do not replace the center screw. I left all mine out and its been fine.

Make sure the computer picked up the card in device manager, and you should be set.

Just so you know, ACER was absolutely no help, and wanted me to ship my computer to Texas for "repair", which wasn't going to work for me. So, I took advantage of the fact that ACER allows end user upgrades without voiding the warranty, so I took it upon myself to try to solve this.

As with anything, your results may vary, but it worked for me.

Best of luck