Aspire 5 N19c3 won't recognize external monitor

robule
robule Member Posts: 3 New User
Aspire 5 NC19c3...  have a HDMI to DP cable running from computer to monitor.    Computer won't recognize the monitor.

I restarted with the monitor plugged in, no go.  Monitor stays in power safe mode.

I plug monitor into a different computer and it sees it right away.

Any suggestions?    I have a different monitor that has an HDMI input, might try that one.

Best Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @robule you can try another monitor that uses the HDMI connection. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, this model's HDMI port is v1.4b. It doesn't natively support DisplayPort signal video output, only HDMI signal video output.

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    You may be able to find an active HDMIsignal-to-DisplayPortsignal converter that will work. However, the resolution and refresh rates are usually 30Hz or less so would unsuitable for gaming. Furthermore, most inexpensive converters are DisplayPortsignal-to-HDMIsignal, just the opposite of what you need. Sorry. The other option is an active USB-to-DisplayPort signal converter but again the resolution and refresh rates will be low.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    @robule you can try another monitor that uses the HDMI connection. 
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Sorry, this model's HDMI port is v1.4b. It doesn't natively support DisplayPort signal video output, only HDMI signal video output.

Jack E/NJ

• robule
    edited May 2022
    HDMI to HDMI only is the solution?   Thanks for the quick response!    @JackE   @AnhEZ28
  • JackE
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    You may be able to find an active HDMIsignal-to-DisplayPortsignal converter that will work. However, the resolution and refresh rates are usually 30Hz or less so would unsuitable for gaming. Furthermore, most inexpensive converters are DisplayPortsignal-to-HDMIsignal, just the opposite of what you need. Sorry. The other option is an active USB-to-DisplayPort signal converter but again the resolution and refresh rates will be low.

Jack E/NJ

• robule

I swapped a monitor that is HDMI and hooked it up, works great.

Thanks to everyone that assisted!