Acer Swift SF114-34 battery issue

vanci
vanci Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
First I apologize for the bad English. I want to ask since I recently bought an Acer Swift SF114-34, so I want to ask if it will hurt if I disconnect the built-in battery from the motherboard and use it only on a charger? The goal is to preserve the life of the battery, and it will be charged once a month. Basically, I unwittingly did this with my sister's laptop battery ACER ASPIRE 3 A315-54K 324S -, after cleaning the processor and internal components from dust, I forgot to connect the battery, but the laptop worked. So can I do the same with mine?

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    vanci said:
    First I apologize for the bad English. I want to ask since I recently bought an Acer Swift SF114-34, so I want to ask if it will hurt if I disconnect the built-in battery from the motherboard and use it only on a charger? The goal is to preserve the life of the battery, and it will be charged once a month. Basically, I unwittingly did this with my sister's laptop battery ACER ASPIRE 3 A315-54K 324S -, after cleaning the processor and internal components from dust, I forgot to connect the battery, but the laptop worked. So can I do the same with mine?
    I quote, "There is a myth that keeping your battery in your laptop while it is plugged in overcharges it. Some even go as far as to claim that the battery life will be cut short or batteries might explode. This is why most of you would prefer to remove your laptop’s battery and use power directly from the outlet (AC power). While your intentions might be pure, I am here to tell you that you’re doing more harm than good" see this guide "Can I Run My Laptop Without Battery?" As it explains it exactly.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    And since you indicate English isn't your first answer, Steven's thread basically says "No, don't do that. It causes more harm than good."
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • vanci
    vanci Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Yes, unfortunately my English is bad, because I don't know it, I'm from Bulgaria and I use Google Translate. Thank you both for your answers. Until now, I have always used a laptop with an external battery, and now it has an internal one - not replaceable, so I wonder if there will be a problem with this if I remove it. Otherwise, I have always stored the battery separately, discharging and recharging it once every 30 days. I can say that after 4 years of use, it had almost not lost its original capacity, but it was on my old laptop. Good day to all of me.