Chromebook Spin 713 CP713-3W-5102 Fan noise & battery life

Options
mnr3
mnr3 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2022 in Chromebooks
Just got a refurbished Spin 713 (Chromebook) from Acer directly. Mostly, I love it; however, the issue many have complained about is present: the fan runs constantly which is not a problem as I understand this is a higher performance cpu with increased thermal issues. But occasionally the fan goes into an overdrive mode and the noise of air running over the vents is so loud I thought it was a notification from an app or something. It took a while to figure out this was air/fan noise but it definitely is that. I have tried a power reset as well as made sure the latest Chrome OS is installed (Version 101.0.4951.59 (Official Build) (64-bit). This unit is only a few days old and I have only used it for one power cycle--which was much less than the advertised run time--I may have gotten 4 hours out of it and was not using energy intensive browsing like videos or gaming, just basic web and mail activities.  Model is CP713-3W-5102

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I have had my Spin 713 since August, 2021. I don't know that I can help much. Here's what I have.
    Model Spin 713
    CP713-3W-5102
    S/N NXAHAA**************
    SNID 11************
    Built 2021
    8GB RAM/256GB SSD

I have the Intel Evo Core I5 model.

I''m 80 years old and hard of hearing and I never hear my fans go on. I think I would if it were as loud as you describe. I also use my Spin 713 on a desk and use a device to elevate the rear of the laptop so it gets good circulation. I normally have my Spin 713 plugged into a power source but occasionally I run it on battery until it demands power. I have no idea how long it lasts because I don't use it non=stop and don't time it. I'm running it on batter now and will come back if it's less than five hours.

My only negative comment on the Spin 713 is that the trackpad could be better. It fails to respond to taps too often and prefers I tap dead center.

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

• patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Okay, I've been on the computer pretty much non-stop for 4.5 hours and the battery level is reported as 33%.
  • mnr3
    Options
    So no one else with the spin 713 seems to have this issue?  Interestingly, it seems better when I flip it into tablet mode ,although the nearly inaudible fan still runs constantly. That can't help battery life. Still undecided about sending it back. It is certainly a nice machine, especially at refurb price. 

• SteelTheManOf
    SteelTheManOf Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I'm having this problem as well.
    I got this for my daughters school work and the fan comes on and off. It's quite loud and distracting.
    Have they released an update that addresses this?
    Not sure how this is effecting the battery life but it seems to work through her school day.

I am considering returning this but I'd prefer not to. It seems to perform well otherwise.
    Help?
  • mnr3
    Options
    I'm having this problem as well.
    I got this for my daughters school work and the fan comes on and off. It's quite loud and distracting.
    Have they released an update that addresses this?
    Not sure how this is effecting the battery life but it seems to work through her school day.

I am considering returning this but I'd prefer not to. It seems to perform well otherwise.
    Help?
    Unfortunately, it is a case of having a muscle car that burns some gas.  I would keep it, as I am at this point. You don't really need the extra horsepower in a chromebook, but this thing sure is snappy. The fan thing seems to come in spurts, like while there is an update installing in the background. Sometimes I will walk by and it just turns itself and the fan on. very rare, but it has happened. I like to actually use this as a LAP top, which doesn't help the circulation of free air, so I would advise always giving the vents some free air (not smushed on warm lap) and turn down the screen brightness to save some juice. Long story short, this is a premium chromebook that has nothing to envy on windoze. Mine has been dead quiet the whole time I've written this reply. I love the tall screen for text scrolling; I never push it to test processor, but that is what generates heat and requires cooling, which is why the cool gaming kids have copper radiation + fans. You gotta pay to play and this is definitely a kick butt machine. I am actually more worried about the hinges, which is a weak point in all machines, especially one like this can rotate past 180. anyway, I'm keeping mine and thinking I got a bargain that hopefully will hold up a few years
  • omree
    omree Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2022
    Options
    I have Acer Chromebook 15 (CB5-571) since 2015. It is has low power CPU, but still has a fan. Over years the fan starts to spin more often and more loudly. This is actually the case with all laptops I ever had. The fan noise is only getting worse (sometimes much worse) with years. Sometimes to the point it is a decision factor to buy a new one or underclock the CPU.
    If it annoys you now and you don't need the extra power (Chromebooks today can run very demanding applications - you have full Android playstore and linux subsystem, so its not true you never need extra power) I would suggest to replace it. To avoid this exact problem our last Chromebook we have for browsing/emails in family is fanless.
  • omree
    omree Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Please check following topic, it mentions software for fans on new 713 chipsets is not tuned yet, so it might improve with updates: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/665922/spin-713-cp713-3w-fan-running-almost-constantly#latest
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

As systems age they often build up more dust and such on the fan blades, which causes them to both make more noise and to do a poorer job of cooling. You can clean them out using a vacuum or blown air, but at seven years old it's probably time to open it up and clean it fully.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mnr3
    Options

so it seems to have been maybe more of a software/firmware issue whatever you want to call it, but I cannot remember the last time the fan kicked on like it was doing. It has been mostly dead silent for ages now. maybe the cooler weather has helped but I can say pretty confidently that the bug has been worked out, and this is still a great machine, highly recommended for price which is probably down from the spring when I bought it.