Can the Acer Aspire X1700 be rejuvenated?

Options
Shùlk
Shùlk Member Posts: 1 New User
edited May 2022 in Legacy Desktops
Hello, this is Shùlk!
My grandmother has an Acer Aspire X1700 and it's running on Windows Vista and a BIOS from 2008! She asked me to try and get it running again but I couldn't find a BIOS update on the website, is it possible for me to fix it?
Thanks for the help!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,029 Trailblazer
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Shùlk said:
    Hello, this is Shùlk!
    My grandmother has an Acer Aspire X1700 and it's running on Windows Vista and a BIOS from 2008! She asked me to try and get it running again but I couldn't find a BIOS update on the website, is it possible for me to fix it?
    Thanks for the help!
    -Shùlk

Don't know what specs Aspire X1700 (<<<see link if these are your specs?) as its an old ancient desktop :D with about the minimal specs to Win-10 but you can upgrade it to run better (if you can buy the parts and you want to spend the $$$'s?), you need to upgrade its OEM socket 775 Intel E2220 I would upgrade it to the E4600, this desktop also comes OEM witha a PCIe 2.0 x16 128MB (shared) NVIDIA GeForce G100am gpu that I would upgrade to the ATI Radeon HD 5570 and also comes OEM with 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM (if not then upgrade to that memory) but I would put an ssd drive as all this will make it workable with Win-10. That is about all that you can do to this old desktop.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    You likely do not need a BIOS update. You do need to understand the current configuration before looking at any upgrades. They came with 160GB to 640GB HDDs and by far the best first upgrade will be to replace that with a SSD instead. What happens now when you try to turn it on? Does the Acer splash screen appear? Does it complain about the CMOS being corrupted? Does it boot into the Vista login prompt?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,439 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    An endless Money Pit.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hey, I stopped buying stuff to upgrade my Amiga computers back in the 90s, but still use them on occasion without spending any more money. :) So it's not endless, it's just that you reach a point of diminishing returns. ;)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.