aspire A515-56 bios update to 1.26 troubles suspend functionality on Linux fedora 35

OkOkOk
OkOkOk Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 2022 in Aspire Laptops

After main bios update to version 1.26 got annoying issue laptop will not suspend woke up  properly - display dark with keyboard  backlight on…have to do hard reboot each time. There is some acpi error messages on boot log as if some functionality not known to os kernel since it’s latest bios… previous bios worked just fine I think v 1.20 or less (not sure)… hopefully some Acer bios devel reading this to fix bios or suggest fixes to Linux kernel community. 

I have also another question how to downgrade bios to lover version because the software does not allow bios downgrading, can I bypass software and directly update? Actually would like to downgrade to version which worked before?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>previous bios worked just fine>>>

Then why did you do this?!!! BIOS updates are primarily meant for machines that have serious issues. They should not be applied on an otherwise functional machine due to the risk of adverse side effects like you have now. Yes, you can revert to an earlier version. But the risk is even higher for bricking the machine particularly if you cannot boot Windows. Do you have dual boot capability?

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>previous bios worked just fine>>>

Then why did you do this?!!! BIOS updates are primarily meant for machines that have serious issues. They should not be applied on an otherwise functional machine due to the risk of adverse side effects like you have now. Yes, you can revert to an earlier version. But the risk is even higher for bricking the machine particularly if you cannot boot Windows. Do you have dual boot capability?

Jack E/NJ

• OkOkOk
    I know this is not good idea but was pretty mental 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thinking there are usually some improvements done.  About dual boot yes I have win10
  • OkOkOk
    Actually I can boot into system win10 or Linux but latest Linux kernel appears to not have full support for this bios 1.26 in this case only wake from suspend does not working properly and other things are ok. I got temporary workaround to hibernate instead suspending until kernel or bios update to fix issue. 
  • JackE
    Yes, waiting for the kernel update seems like the best idea at the moment. You seem to have an annoying issue right now, not a major debilitating problem.

Jack E/NJ

• dosboy
    dosboy Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

There been several fedora 35 kernel updates so far and nothing fixed this issue (not waking up of suspend to ram). There is latest v1.28 bios update for a515-56 model but I’m not sure to update, worrying to not make even worse..?! I’m also curious where to post bios acpi errors for bug fix support bios tech? Ok I’ll just paste dmesg log and hw log perhaps will someone pass this to bios tech for bios fix. I believe all red hat based Linux system may have same similar issues past bios v1.20 (this bios had no such problem). It means v1.26(this one I have now installed is not ok, and probably v1.28 as well I may update to it now days out of curiosity to perhaps fix this “standby wake up” problem? I’ll paste dmesg logs with visible acpi errors kind a “unrecognised instructions…etc”…
  • dosboy

Tinkerer

Ok attached hardware log and DMESG log Linux fedora 35 x64… if any use

• JackE

Best to start your own new thread for better attention and exposure by clicking on the green ask a question button.

Jack E/NJ

• OkOkOk said:
    Actually I can boot into system win10 or Linux but latest Linux kernel appears to not have full support for this bios 1.26 in this case only wake from suspend does not working properly and other things are ok. I got temporary workaround to hibernate instead suspending until kernel or bios update to fix issue. 
    As this problem appeared after updating the firmware, it would be interesting to try to restore the bios by pressing the f9+f10 keys.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dosboy

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Best to start your own new thread for better attention and exposure by clicking on the green ask a question button.

I’ll probably do that… 👍🏻
  • dosboy

Tinkerer

OkOkOk said:
    As this problem appeared after updating the firmware, it would be interesting to try to restore the bios by pressing the f9+f10 keys.

Sure I’ll try this one, I’m sceptical it keeps original bios on reserve chip? As I understood this will revert to original bios in my case v1.20 ? That would be best. Will update what I’ve done… 👍🏻

• dosboy

Tinkerer

OkOkOk said:

Probably mean bios reset to defaults, inside bios f9 to restore and then f10 to save? 
  • Sim! Acesse o bios pressionando f2 antes do logo da Acer. Depois, pressione f9 para restaurar o bios e em seguida, pressione f10 para salvar e sair.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)