Acer v5 431 Hinges broken

Michael18941
Michael18941 Member Posts: 4 New User
I need advice on how to fix the Acer Aspire V5 431 On the outside part of the laptop next the hinge the plastic  case has come apart? I'm not sure what was holding this side together because I can't see screws on the other side in the same area?
I've never done a laptop repair before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First photo is part of the case that has come apart.
The second is the opposite side that has not come apart.
The third showing model number,

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Looks like some bottom screws are missing. You should be able to pinch the top and bottom covers together. Internal plastic hooks should then hold the two covers together at least temporarily until you order a laptop screw it from Amazon for less than $10. You can also temporarily borrow some mid cover screws since they aren't as crtical as those on the edges.

Jack E/NJ

• Michael18941
    Yes your right there are screws missing on BOTH sides of the hinge,far right and far left of the laptop,
    The side where the plastic has come away,I tried pushing it together then inserting screw taken out of another part and it won't screw in,could there be something wrong with the mechanism that the screw fixes into,it looks as if there is a small metal plate with holes in it and a black thing that goes directly into the hinge.
  • JackE
    >>,I tried pushing it together then inserting screw taken out of another part >>>

The covers should really just snap together unless the molded plastic fastener hooks broke off inside. Use two-hand pinch technique shown starting from the narrow end and working your way toward the wide end of the separation. Some of them might've been broken if the machine ever had maintenance that required prying the covers apart. The screws are sort of a safety fasteners.

Jack E/NJ

• Michael18941
    I tried it a few times pinching at one point with the hand and then using the other hand to pinch and slide,it doesn't clip in to anything and just comes apart after I remove my hand

• JackE
    The missing screws suggest this laptop had been opened since leaving the factory. If you purchased this as a new machine, was the base cover removed for any reason since you acquired it? The reason I ask is that the top and bottom covers will have to be removed in order to repair the screw anchors to close the gap. The molded plastic hooks have likely been broken off.

Jack E/NJ

• Michael18941
    This is my brother's laptop,I don't think it's had a repair done since it was first purchased,I changed a hard drive in it four years ago,but it may have been dropped or something since but didn't ask him how it was done.
  • JackE
    Trying to repair this damage always risks doing more damage. Even to the point of the laptop becoming unusable. The procedure is quite involved as the RAM, HDD, DVD drive, keyboard must all be removed before even trying to separate the top and bottom covers. Are you prepared to do this and for the risk involved. I can try to walk you thru the process but can't guarantee a favorable outcome.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Your best bet at this point is to actually take the case halves apart (with all seventeen screws removed) to inspect the screw mounts for the hinge screws. I'm guessing there is a fairly good chance the original screws have pulled out, stripping the mounts. With more modern models the screws are typically the type designed to self-tap into the plastic. I believe on your Aspire V5-431 they have nuts inset into the plastic. If your nuts are still there you just need to carefully epoxy them back into place, realizing you might have to run a tap through afterward to clean any glue from the threads. If the nuts aren't there then it's time to MacGyver a replacement M2.5 nut in the same place.
    For a system that originally came with Windows 7 that might be just a bit too much work, given the price of used laptops...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.