Acer Aspire 3 A-315-31-C6MJ doesn't recognise SATA II SSD (INTEL SSDSC2BW120A4)

Xentaur
Xentaur Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Aspire Laptops
The SSD is recognised in the BIOS but doesn't show on an official Windows 10 Install/Recovery USB, but it does show up on other LINUX-based drive management utilities (ARCHLINUX-UEFI-April 2022 Release). Here are the empirical findings:

Acer Aspire 3 A-315-31-C6MJ
Serial Number: NXG*****************
SNID: 812***********

SATA II SSD (INTEL SSDSC2BW120A4) on the latest firmware and functions perfectly in two other testing scenarios.

What the heck is going on here?

Intel SSD (SATA SSD) shows in Information section of BIOS as HDD0:

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

All SATA Ports are enabled:

Supervisor Password is set to allow temporary disable of Secure Boot:

Drive shows in Boot Menu:

Command Prompt invoked from Windows 10 install media downloaded on this laptop from Microsoft:

DISKPART in Command Prompt doesn't list the disk and Aspire 3 won't attempt to boot from it?! The Disk 1 in this DISKPART is the USB Windows 10 Installer, Disk 0 doesn't show:

UEFI booted Arch Linux identifies the drive with all the appropriate partitions: (sda{1,2,3,4})

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    This says that it should be bootable. Have you tried without having anything else plugged into a USB port?

Jack E/NJ

• Have you enabled f12bootmenu too?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Xentaur

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    This says that it should be bootable. Have you tried without having anything else plugged into a USB port?

Yes, I have tried with no USB plugged in. I still see the drive in the BIOS and it is listed as we see above.
  • JackE
    Yes, but what happens when you let it boot? Meaning, don't try to enter BIOS menu. Just let it try to boot after turning it on. Do you get an error message? Does the ACER logo appear? What happens with no USB plugged in after turning it on?

Jack E/NJ

• Xentaur

Tinkerer

Have you enabled f12bootmenu too?

Yes, the F12 Boot Menu is enabled. You can see the model number and serial number in my post. Obrigado pela sua ajuda.
  • Xentaur

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, but what happens when you let it boot? Meaning, don't try to enter BIOS menu. Just let it try to boot after turning it on. Do you get an error message? Does the ACER logo appear? What happens with no USB plugged in after turning it on?
    With no USB and without invoking the BIOS menu the computer boots into the BIOS by itself. When I swap the drives back to the original old slow Toshiba drive the computer boots normally.

I need to be able to check the partitions with DISKPART from the Windows USB Installer to check that all the boot parameters are correct, but the drive doesn't show in DISKPART even though the UEFI is reporting the drive to LINUX.

After answering your question I find myself wondering if I couldn't get it to boot to the normal old SATA drive and check the boot parameters on the SATA SSD from the booted operating system on a USB to SATA adaptor.
  • JackE
    >>>With no USB and without invoking the BIOS menu the computer boots into the BIOS by itself. When I swap the drives back to the original old slow Toshiba drive the computer boots normally.>>>

No. Don't swap the drives.

We need to know what happens with only the SSDSC2BW120A4 installed when you turn it on.

No USB drive, no old Toshiba drive. No pressing F12.

Just turn the machine on with only the SSDSC2BW120A4 connected. Describe what happens.

Jack E/NJ

• Alex85Hil
    Alex85Hil Member Posts: 2 New User
    USE DISK MANAGEMENT COMMAND IN YOUR LAPTOP. OR IN GOOGLE : DISK MANAGEMENT
  • JackE
    >>>With no USB and without invoking the BIOS menu the computer boots into the BIOS by itself. When I swap the drives back to the original old slow Toshiba drive the computer boots normally.>>>

No. Don't swap the drives.

We need to know what happens with only the SSDSC2BW120A4 installed when you turn it on.

No USB drive, no old Toshiba drive. No pressing F12.

Just turn the machine on with only the SSDSC2BW120A4 connected. Describe what happens.

Jack E/NJ