Swift3 SF314-52 touchpad problem: Driver missing SF314-52-55HL?

DBSwift3
DBSwift3 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited May 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
- I cannot 'turn off' the touchpad's 'touch to click' feature on my wife's Swift3 SF314-52. She wants no 'touch click', only the mechanical touchpad click.
- I believe that the 'touch' setting has NOT been activated all the time since the machine was purchased - but I don't use it much.
- When I go to the Settings/Devices/Touchpad, there is a Taps option but I only get a sensitivity adjustment, no 'Off' setting. If I choose Additional Settings under Related Settings, it gives me the standard Windows 'Mouse Properties' window, nothing about a touchpad.
- When I go to Device Manager in Control Panel, under 'Mice and other pointing devices' I get a PS/2 compatible mouse only. (If I plug in a wireless mouse, 'HID-compliant mouse' gets added. Sometimes I get so annoyed with the touchpad, which I touch inadvertently, I use an external mouse! I don't know how my wife can stand it.)
- I go to the Support page at Acer for my computer model and I see that there is NO touchpad driver listed in the Drivers.
- I tried out a new Swift3 (obviously a few years newer than mine) at Staples and it had some nice touchpad controls, including turning off the touch to click option.
- the laptop is running Windows 10 Home, 21H2. I don't think there is any exotic software. Malwarebytes malware protection.
- could a Windows update have removed the driver? Was there never a driver for the touchpad? That would seem odd to me...

Thanks for suggestions.

[​//Edited the content to add model name]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    Touchpad drivers are now part of the i/o driver package. They show up in Device Manager HiD folder as an i2c device and the Mice folder.

Just about all available Control Panel touchpad settings outside of DeviceMgr are usually shown by pressing WIN+R and entering 'MAIN.CPL'. On my system with an Elan touchpad, options are few, None for click/tap.

Sometimes additional touchpad settings can be found on the BIOS MAIN tab (press Ctrl+S for hidden options) and in the AcerQuickAccess app that  comes bundled with the OEM Windows package.

Like you, I cannot use touchpads  because they are unpredictable & functionally incompatible with me.  Like the old ThinkPad Faber pencil-eraser finger buttons, they are useless laptop appendages. Thankfully they can be easily disabled and forgotten about.

At any rate, if you  can't seem to get rid of the click, buy your wife  a dozen roses and take her out to dinner instead. Maybe she'll live with it. :)

Jack E/NJ

• DBSwift3
    Thanks for your help. Sadly, I tried all your suggestions but to no avail. I even explored the various Acer programs that came with the laptop - and I have long ignored. They, too, did not help. Even the Serial I/O driver currently listed for my laptop on the Acer website is *older* than the one already installed on this laptop. And, despite the "Before installing the touchpad driver, please install the Serial I/O driver first" warning at the top of the drivers list for my laptop, there is not touchpad driver!

So, I think it's time for the roses... and an external mouse!
  • JackE
    >>>So, I think it's time for the roses... and an external mouse! >>>

Thanks for reporting back. Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this resolves the issue. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

@DBSwift3

I wanted you to share the Part # of your computer. Hence, can check the exact specs and look an option to help u regarding Touchpad clicking options. 

Regards, 
    Balatekie
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• DBSwift3
    The specific model number for this Swift 3 is:  SF314-52-55HL
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • JackE
    >>>So, I think it's time for the roses... and an external mouse! >>>The specific model number for this Swift 3 is:  SF314-52-55HL Any suggestions would be appreciated.>>>

Oh-oh. If it looks anything like this one, you might also have to thrown in a nice candlelight dinner somewhere to solve the problem. :)

Jack E/NJ

• DBSwift3
    That's the one! Unfortunately, I guess... Still hoping someone has the answer for turning off the 'touch to click' feature.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    It looks to me like that isn't an option short of some esoteric registry tweak. The BIOS doesn't have it and the touchpad settings don't have it. Does the volume of the click drop when you turn the system volume down? Maybe it's just a live with the sound issue.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DBSwift3
    Thanks. By the 'touch click' I had meant using a touch tap to make a 'left click' on the mouse, not actually the sound of the click.

But I think you have discovered what I did - there are just don't seem to be any adjustments for fine tuning the touchpad - like turning off the touch activation of the 'click equivalent', multiple finger swipes, etc. etc.

I'll just live with it. It could be worse!
  • JackE
    Try moistening your fingertip. Then tapping with varying speed & pressure in different areas of entire left hand side of the touchpad.

Jack E/NJ