Any known solutions for screen flickering/distortion? (Predator Helios 300 PH315-51)

artoria
artoria Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I have a Predator Helios 300 Model PH315-51 and recently it has been having some screen problems.
I am unable to ascertain if this is a hardware or a software issue. I have also checked similar threads and questions to mine, but I never found a concrete answer.
Every 1 - 3 seconds, my screen flickers for a few seconds(pictures attached for example) and then goes back to normal again. This is an ongoing loop and it has never went away since it started three days ago.

I have tried switching to a lower refresh rate (from 144hz to 60hz) and the problem seemingly goes away temporarily. By temporarily, I mean by a few seconds at best.

I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the display cable on the motherboard, removing and putting back the RAM, removing the battery and replacing the thermal paste on my heat sink.
I don't know what else to do.

Note: This problem first appeared in the 20th of April and seemingly disappeared after 15 hours of using the laptop. I was hoping the problem would disappear again when it reappeared three days ago but I think it's here to stay this time.

Has anyone solved this problem yet? Thank you for your time

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,466 Trailblazer
    Is the flickering duplicated on an external screen like a TV set?

Jack E/NJ

• artoria

Tinkerer

No, the flickering isn't duplicated when connected to an external monitor.
  • ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677
    Hi @artoria

You can try to reinstall the display drivers to check if that makes any difference.

How to Properly Update Graphics Driver in Windows 11

NOTE: After uninstalling the display driver make sure to reboot the laptop to reinstall the uninstalled driver back.

If it doesn't work then you can try to do a reset.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5#bkmk_win11_reset_pc

Follow the steps in the above link to do a complete reset.

NOTE: Make sure to backup all the data from the laptop before the reset.

Hope it will help you in some way.

• JackE
    >>>I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the display cable on the motherboard,>>>

>>>No, the flickering isn't duplicated when connected to an external monitor.>>>

GPU's fine. Next step seems to be re-seating the other end of the LCD display cable at the bottom of the screen. Bezel has to come off.

Jack E/NJ

• artoria

Tinkerer

JackE said:

GPU's fine. Next step seems to be re-seating the other end of the LCD display cable at the bottom of the screen. Bezel has to come off.

JackE, I have also tried this. I removed the lid bezel and unscrewed the LCD to unplug and plug the display cable for results. Still shows the flickering.

ragsak28 said:
    Hi @artoria

You can try to reinstall the display drivers to check if that makes any difference.
    ragsak28, I tried this when you mentioned it and I don't think it worked.

I also forgot to mention that the problem persists in BIOS, as well as the PREDATOR loading screen.
  • JackE
    >>>JackE, I have also tried this. I removed the lid bezel and unscrewed the LCD to unplug and plug the display cable for results. Still shows the flickering.>>>

OK. Next open the lid further than you normally do. Check if the amount of flickering seems better or worse or about the same. Then close the lid as far as you can without the screen shutting off. Again, check if flickering seems better or worse.or about the same. 

Jack E/NJ

• artoria

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>JackE, I have also tried this. I removed the lid bezel and unscrewed the LCD to unplug and plug the display cable for results. Still shows the flickering.>>>

OK. Next open the lid further than you normally do. Check if the amount of flickering seems better or worse or about the same. Then close the lid as far as you can without the screen shutting off. Again, check if flickering seems better or worse.or about the same. 
    Repositioning the lid in both ways didn't seem to affect anything.

• JackE
    Does the flickering seem like a complete momentary black screen with no backlight or is it too fast for you to tell?

Jack E/NJ

• artoria

Tinkerer

As far as I can tell, there seems to be no momentary black screen. Attached is a gif as an example of the problem.
  • JackE
    >>>I also forgot to mention that the problem persists in BIOS, as well as the PREDATOR loading screen.>>>

OK. Another test.  If you can you see the BIOS menu on the external screen, do you see the same thing?

Jack E/NJ

• artoria

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I also forgot to mention that the problem persists in BIOS, as well as the PREDATOR loading screen.>>>

OK. Another test.  If you can you see the BIOS menu on the external screen, do you see the same thing?

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I am not able to see the BIOS screen through an external screen, my HDMI connection doesn't work unless I'm inside the OS.
  • JackE
    >>>No, the flickering isn't duplicated when connected to an external monitor.>>>
    >>>my HDMI connection doesn't work unless I'm inside the OS.>>>

OK. If you temporarily disable the nvidia display adapter in Device Manager, can you still HDMI out to an external monitor. Is the flickering duplicated now?

Jack E/NJ

• artoria

Tinkerer

JackE said:

OK. If you temporarily disable the nvidia display adapter in Device Manager, can you still HDMI out to an external monitor. Is the flickering duplicated now?

After disabling the NVIDIA display adapter, HDMI connection to an external monitor gets cut off. And yes, the flickering is still there for the laptop screen.
  • JackE
    Try to force the lid screen to use the nvidia GPU instead of the integrated GPU in your browser by following these steps
    1. Open Settings on Windows 10.
    2. Click on System.
    3. Click on Display.
    4. Under the “Multiple displays” section, click the Graphics settings option. ...
    5. Select the app type using the drop-down menu:

Jack E/NJ

• artoria

Tinkerer

Nothing happens when I forced my browser to use the GPU instead of integrated.
  • This issue when you plug in the power adapter and also when using the laptop on battery power only

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • gingerbread
    gingerbread Member Posts: 2 New User
    artoria said:
    Nothing happens when I forced my browser to use the GPU instead of integrated.
    Hey artoria, I have the same problem as you, can I know did you solve the problem? How you solve it ? 
  • 3060PlayZ
    3060PlayZ Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    Reinstall the drivers.
    If that doesn't work, then reinstall Windows and install its drivers.
    If that does not work too, then either fix it yourself, take it to a repair shop or if its under warranty send it for repair.
  • sandwichofdoom
    sandwichofdoom Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:

Hey JackE, was looking fro a fix for my PC and this seems to be my issue, when I move the screen it will stop flickering if pushed all the way open/almost closed. Could this be a faulty wire/disconnect? 
  • JackE

Yes, probably LCD video cable has intermittent breaks in hinge area from wear and tear of opening and closing the lid too much. Google your full model number and video cable for vendors who ship to  your location. New replacement cables are usually about $25usd for most models.

Jack E/NJ