CPU upgrade compatibility -Acer Aspire TC-885-U3E1 V:1.1 The product support website doesn't work

Options
Metanis
Metanis Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
BIOS version is R01-C3 dated 4/8/20202

Currently have the I5-8400 installed. Have searched high and low for a CPU compatibility list but can't find one. Coffee Lake B360 motherboard, according to Intel it should be able to go all the way up to a Core I9-9900 (locked 65watt with graphics).

Wanted to find some verification before I spend over $400 to upgrade to that CPU.

Anyone able to point me to anything even semi-official? The product support website doesn't work for me. I've tried pasting in my Serial # and SNID but both error out.
[Edited the thread to add the issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    The i7-8700 series with the LGA1151 socket is the only documented upgrade i can find. While the i9-9900 should fit and might even work, i seriously doubt there would be a noticeable performance differential relative to the price differential. If it was mine, I'd go for the i7 anyday.

Jack E/NJ

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Metanis

Are you having perormance issue that make you think you need to upgrade the CPU?

Are you still using mechanical HDD to boot windows? If so, you have performance issue for sure.

i9-9900 has a market price around USD $450 now. Adding USD $100 you can get a XC-1660G-UW93, having i5-11400 CPU that is even faster than i9-9900.

A PC's performance mostly rely on the matching up of CPU and the boot drive (if not for heavy gaming or video editing). Assuming enough RAM there.

My TC-885-UA91 using i3-9100 CPU (slower than your i5-8400), yet having a gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD (3,400 MB/s read). In daily tasks I noticed the TC-885 is just little bit slower than my other desktop using i5-11400 CPU (faster than i9-9900) and gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD (7,000 MB/s read) So, the key to performance is probably the M.2 NVMe SSD.

So, I agree with @JackE " i seriously doubt there would be a noticeable performance differential relative to the price differential".

A M.2 NVMe SSD is probably what you need.
  • Metanis
    Metanis Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Just a follow up for everyone, the Core I9-9900 is installed and working fine in my Aspire mini-desktop!

(Caveat! I did install a new stronger 550w power supply 3 months ago in order to run a GTX 1660 TI graphics adapter, so I have good power for this new CPU!)

Also, I do have 32GB of DDR4-3200 RAM and a 512GB WD NVMe SSD so the machine is pretty decent for a daily driver. (Also, I'm using Nicehash to mine with it.)

Thanks to those who commented! PS, I got the i9 chip for $370 on Ebay last week. It was open box but unused. I confirmed it was in pristine condition when I unpacked it.

• Awesome123
    Awesome123 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options

I see you upgraded the power supply. I read in some posts that some dont fit in the original case. Does this take a standard ATX power supply?

How are you handling the cooling inside, the case only takes 1 fan.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

The PSU uses a Flex design, so smaller than an ATX. Bigger supplies are available but more expensive than the larger ATX style.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.