Wake on LAN on XC-1660G-UW93 Under Linux

Options
kenw
kenw Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I am having problems getting Wake on Lan (WOL) working on my XC-1660G-UW93. I’m running a Linux distro (Debian 11) and things mostly work. I can wake up the PC after restart or shutdown as long as there is not loss of power before waking it up. If I shutdown and remove power, when the power is restored the amber light on the Ethernet port comes on and the PC cannot be started with WOL. 

In my BIOS, Deep Power mode and Power on by RTC are disabled while Power on by PCIE, Power on by Onboard LAN and Wake-up by KB/Mouse are all enabled. Changing the setting on Restore on AC Power seem to have no effect. WOL seems to not work when the amber LED of the Ethernet port is on.

Any suggesting on how to make WOL work after power loss/restore? Not sure if behavior is same under Windows or not but I bought this PC to be a file server running Linux.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>Yes. If I shutdown and don't unplug from wall outlet, my pc wakes up properly every time.>>>

OK. Then the means your machine is absolutely working properly and as it should under Linux.

For WOL to work, you cannot just unplug the ATX power supply from the mains without also having an uninterruptible power supply between it and the mains. This is because the integrated LAN must remain in a very low power drain standby S5 state via the ATX PSU to receive the signal to turn the rest of the machine on to full power. You can unplug an uninterruptible power supply from the mains but you cannot unplug the ATX PSU from an uninterruptible  power supply for WOL to work after the machine is normally shut down.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    That apparently depends on if you have a 6pin ATX power supply connected. Check your power supply connector. Is the power supply connected to the 6pin or 8pin connector on the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• kenw

Tinkerer

Options
    Here is a picture of my PC. This is how it was shipped to me. Both connectors are used. The power supply is the one shipped by Acer.

• JackE
    Options
    Is the 6-pin plug connected to a PSU that's plugged into a wall socket?

Jack E/NJ

• kenw

Tinkerer

Options
    The 6-pin is plugged into the PSU which is plugged into a surge protector that is plugged into a wall socket. I plan to plug the PSU into a UPS eventually though.
  • JackE
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power button do' in left pane. In the box that pops up, is there a fast startup option? If none, does the BIOS have a fast boot option enabled?

Jack E/NJ

• kenw

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm running Linux so no Control Panel. Bios has no fast startup option.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>If I shutdown and remove power>>>

I just re-read this. If you shut down normally but don't unplug the ATX from the mains, does it wakeup properly?

Jack E/NJ

• kenw

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>If I shutdown and remove power>>>

I just re-read this. If you shut down normally but don't unplug the ATX from the mains, does it wakeup properly?

Yes. If I shutdown and don't unplug from wall outlet, my pc wakesup properly every time.

Yes. If I shutdown and don't unplug from wall outlet, my pc wakes up properly every time.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>Yes. If I shutdown and don't unplug from wall outlet, my pc wakes up properly every time.>>>

OK. Then the means your machine is absolutely working properly and as it should under Linux.

For WOL to work, you cannot just unplug the ATX power supply from the mains without also having an uninterruptible power supply between it and the mains. This is because the integrated LAN must remain in a very low power drain standby S5 state via the ATX PSU to receive the signal to turn the rest of the machine on to full power. You can unplug an uninterruptible power supply from the mains but you cannot unplug the ATX PSU from an uninterruptible  power supply for WOL to work after the machine is normally shut down.

Jack E/NJ

• kenw

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for your help in understanding how this feature is intended to work.