HA230 screen Goes Blank at BIOS and Boot-Up and says "Input Not Supported"

Options
JonoVonOno
JonoVonOno Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2022 in Monitors
I have a HA230 attached to an Asrock B550M Pro4 with a Ryzen 3600 and RX6600XT. When I boot my system, the Acer HA230 says "Input Not Supported" through the boot-up screen and doesn't show anything until I get to the Windows 11 login prompt. I tried a 19" Sceptre and it works fine, so I think it is an issue with my HA230. I've tried enabling and disabling Fast Boot and CMS in the BIOS in different combinations and the problem persists. I also noticed that the FreeSync option is greyed out in the ATI software. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,998 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I have a HA230 attached to an Asrock B550M Pro4 with a Ryzen 3600 and RX6600XT. When I boot my system, the Acer HA230 says "Input Not Supported" through the boot-up screen and doesn't show anything until I get to the Windows 11 login prompt. I tried a 19" Sceptre and it works fine, so I think it is an issue with my HA230. I've tried enabling and disabling Fast Boot and CMS in the BIOS in different combinations and the problem persists. I also noticed that the FreeSync option is greyed out in the ATI software. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

What sort of a cable are you using to connect the Acer HA230 with your RX6600XT gpu? Also install the driver for this monitor. As you need the following cables with the RX6600XT gpu cards, 1x Native HDMI up to v2.1, 3x Native DisplayPort up to v1.4a and it has HDCP Support v2.3. Also make sure and if you are using a HDMI cable it’s the right one and a version 1.4a and above (as the 19” Sceptre is a lower spec monitor and will work with a lower HDMI spec cable) which you can't compare with your HA230. Also look at the HA230's manual at page 16 at DVI/HDMI Mode (Optional) and the Input Source Selection settings and make sure that they are set properly?

• JonoVonOno
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into each of these items and let you know how it goes. 
  • JonoVonOno
    Options
    I upgraded my HDMI cable to a new one with the 2.1 specifications. Freesync works now, but I still can't get into the UEFI BIOS with my Acer monitor. I have to swap to the Spectre monitor to manage the monitor then switch back when I am back in Windows. I also tried upgrading the chipset and ATI software. I am at a loss and thankful for any help/suggestions the community can offer!
  • JonoVonOno
    Options
    Any idea on this? Is there a new firmware version I can try for the Acer monitor? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    The issue is with the GPU most likely, it's not scaling a 640x480 or 800x600 screen to a frequency high enough for the display. Normally the GPU is supposed to upscale to match the resolutions the monitor returns as part of the PnP handshake.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JonoVonOno
    Options
    This is an older thread, but it is something I am still troubleshooting. I replaced the video card with a new one (ASRock RX 6600 XT Challenger OC) and I have the same issue. As noted before, it works fine on my smaller 19" Sceptre monitor. I am thinking about replacing the Acer monitor with a different brand if I can't get this fixed. 
  • BatRastard
    BatRastard Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

You're not alone.

I have the Acer R241Y display and it worked great with my 1050 Ti ...

Installed an MSI RX 6600 Mech 2 days ago and I get the same problem: "Input Not Supported" from the moment the motherboard initializes video at POST (i.e. the underscore cursor in the upper left corner on B550 motherboards) all the way up until Windows 11 loads the Adrenaline drivers. At which point, the Acer R241Y comes to life at 1080p at 75Hz -- it's native resolution. Out of curiosity, if I reboot and blind launch into the BIOS, and then disconnect the Acer and connect my Vizio 4K (a V505-G9), the RX6600 will display my BIOS on the 4KTV at 1080p 75Hz. When I reboot again, the RX 6600 displays my BIOS at 2160p at 30hz -- i.e. the native resolution of the Vizio 4K. Removing the RX 6600 and re-installing the GTX 1050 Ti, and the Acer comes to life immediately at POST at its native resolution. No amount of HDMI cables, Cleared CMOSes, and monkeying with BIOS settings and drivers solves the issue. UEFI Mode and CSM Mode is of no consequence.

I have a video of the frustrating behaviors ...

https://youtu.be/WZP9KJzHrBo

For some god awful and inexplicable reason, the RX 6600 is functioning properly. It is doing its job. It's feeding the native resolution to this Acer display ... which ONLY accepts it in Windows. Behavior that does NOT happen with the GTX 1050. I don't think Acer is the problem. What is think is happening is the firmware of the RX 6600 is choosing a pixel clock that's slightly off enough in its timing that the Acer refuses to accept it, and once the Adrenaline drivers take over at the Windows desktop, they choose the proper parameters. Nothing short of a video firmware update from AMD and their AIBs (Asrock, MSI, etc.) will solve the problem. In my case, I filed an official support ticket with MSI and the OP should do the same with AsRock.