XC-1660 suggestions for graphics card to drive a third display

Linker3000
Linker3000 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a tried-and-tested, suitable half-height internal graphics card to drive a third display.

The main criteria are:
  • Let me know if installing a card disables the onboard ports because that will be an issue!
  • Bear in mind the PSU wattage (180W)
  • Not for gaming. Not looking for a super high frame rate. 1GB or 2GB RAM will be fine for desktop apps.
  • DVI or HDMI output.
  • System is setup to dual boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint.
  • Older generation GPUs are fine provided the card is supported.
Plan B will perhaps be a USB 3.0 - HDMI adapter: Any comments on how well these work?

Many thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Any GPU card will disable the onboard ports, so pick a card that has enough ports for your use.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Linker3000

If you want to stick with the stock 180W PSU, you don't have much choice.
    I'll suggest you to look at GT 1030 from a manufacturer that provide three output ports.
  • Linker3000
    edited May 2022
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the input.
    In the end I purchased "Lenovo USB 3.0 to DVI/VGA Monitor Adapter New Sealed In The Box P/N 0B47072" off ebay and it's working great.
    I had to download and manually install Windows 10 and Ubuntu (Linux Mint) drivers, but that was painless.
    I now have 3 displays for general apps!

• ttttt
    @Linker3000

Thanks for reporting back.

Are you having a XC-1660G-UW93 model or other XC-1660 model? I want to know whether you are having a 10th or 11th generation Intel CPU, because I am still having graphics driver problems with 11th gen CPU onboard graphics with Linux distros.
  • Linker3000
    edited May 2022
    ttttt said:
    @Linker3000

Thanks for reporting back.

Are you having a XC-1660G-UW93 model or other XC-1660 model? I want to know whether you are having a 10th or 11th generation Intel CPU, because I am still having graphics driver problems with 11th gen CPU onboard graphics with Linux distros.

Hi,
    CPU is i5-11400.
    I initially had display problems too with Mint, I found a forum post somewhere referring to kernel versions. I upgraded the Kernel from the installation default to 5.13.0-40-generic and both HDMI-driven displays have been fine ever since.

• ttttt
    @Linker3000

So far I cannot find any version of Linux they will provide proper graphics drivers for my dual monitor plus 4K TV set up (not even for dual monitors only) without further downloading from different websites. Since I use multiple PCs and changing for different distros from time to time, this can be cumbersome. 

Gee! Linux community still cannot come up with a good default distro after one year since 11th gen CPU released.

Maybe upgrading to this Kernel is a good compromise. 

Thanks for the info.

• Linker3000
    Just to confirm in case the eBay link dies, the USB video adapter I used is Lenovo part 0B47072

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,426 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Awesome: Thanks for sharing this information.