Sound heard when pressing the palm rest area and bottom chassis of my Acer Swift 3 (bought in March)

kpjap941
kpjap941 Member Posts: 4 New User
When I press the palm rest area of my Acer Swift 3 purchased in March 2022, I can hear sound. I went to the Acer Service Centre to ask. The staff told me that the sound due to the touching of the casing with the battery of the laptop. Is this normal?

Furthermore, when I press the bottom chassis of the left hand side of the laptop (beneath the USB and HDMI port), I can hear light sound too. However, the screws are properly fixed. Is this normal?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, don't open it up to do that while you are still in warranty. Better to let Acer fix it. It does sound like there may be some sort of flex going on, though it could also be caused by a battery swelling or the touchpad itself not being fully seated in it's mounts.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• kpjap941
    I noticed that the sound of the bottom chassis when pressed is mainly due to the chassis not really tightly screwed. However, based on the observation, the chassis is properly screwed.

For the sound of the palm rest area, the sound can be heard when I pressed that area.
  • billsey
    There is normally a clicking sound when you press the touchpad. That is one of more of the buttons clicking.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kpjap941
    I am not touching the touchpad. I touched the palm rest area - the area with the black sticker of "Swift 3".
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    There may be a case where bottom chassis is mounted with a mistake. Unscrewing and re-mounting may help (before screwing - don't forget to firmly press the chassis from both sides, until you hear an attach a click).
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, don't open it up to do that while you are still in warranty. Better to let Acer fix it. It does sound like there may be some sort of flex going on, though it could also be caused by a battery swelling or the touchpad itself not being fully seated in it's mounts.
  • kpjap941
    Went to the Acer Service Centre again last week. The staff said the sound is normal. 

It is funny that to find out that the sound disappeared after I have used it for a whole day in the office. However, when I return home with the laptop in my laptop bag and I take it out at night to work, the sound appeared again.

It is annoying.
  • emedrith138
    emedrith138 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2023

I'm late to the topic . I bought a new acer swift 3 last month and has same issue.

for what I see its a faulty chassis. If you look against the light maybe you see the chassis slightly bent. Mine is very subtle. practically imperceptible. this may be causing the click noise when you touch the palm rest. The material is magnesium alloy which in itself is good ,but since it is a very thin sheet of metal I guess these are small manufacturing flaws that may present. I dont believe that can cause any damage to your laptop. but is annoying indeed.

• billsey

Since this thread is a year old, you likely have a different model of Swift 3…

• emedrith138
    emedrith138 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2023

In latin america laptops arrive mostly one year later and computres stores sell them new. Acer in latinoamerica update the warranty because they know how is the distribution here. Anyway I've had acer swift since 2017 every model and I can say those from 2020 onwards have a similar magnesium alloy, more fragile compared than formers laptops(my 2017 model has a incredible hard alumiumum chasis ,even gorila glass 3 on screen) .I suspect it may be because the public is demanding lighter and lighter laptops.

• billsey

They do different models of each series for each local, often with different specs in addition to the language differences. That is why we suggest opening a new thread for questions that are for a different model. As you can see, the original poster for this thread never told us what they had, so we can't tell if how different it is from yours. There are at least five different Swift 3 series, with overlap even during the same years due to Intel and AMD versions.