My Brand New Acer Predator (Right Out of the Box) Won't Charge Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S

JennyM97
JennyM97 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Predator Laptops
After my old Lenovo gaming laptop died, I resolved to get a new one. So, I saved up for months and, after looking at reviews, decided to get an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S gaming laptop. I bought it on the Acer Store, here: https://store.acer.com/en-us/predator-helios-300-gaming-laptop-ph315-54-760s 

It was ordered on Thursday, and arrived this morning (Sunday 4/24). We had to go to church, so I skimmed through the pamphlets, found the unfolding instruction manual, and plugged it in to charge. The light didn't turn on, but I was short on time, so I thought "well, maybe the light doesn't turn on right away" and left it sit for a few hours. When I got back, the light still wasn't on. I pressed the power button and waited. I unplugged it, checked the connections, and replugged it. I tried different outlets. I flipped the cable around, so that it went to the left rather than the right. I double and triple checked the instructions, ensuring I followed them to the letter. I left it to sit longer. I held the power button for a few seconds and left it to sit, again. I got my younger sister, the go-to "tech person" in my family, to try - no change. I went to the "Drivers and Manuals" download page, hoping to find a more in-depth manual - the S/N (NHQC5AA001XXXXX) led to the user's manual, which didn't give me any more detailed a set-up guide (it basically just told me that there was a setup guide, which I was already using, and that the user's manual, which I was actively reading, could be found at the very link I was just at). 

I don't know what the issue is. I've never had a brand-new laptop refuse to charge. Is it something I'm doing? I've never used Acer's products before, so I'm not familiar with their "unique quirks". As far as I can tell, everything is where it should be - everything hooked up properly, the laptop connected to a working power strip... Am I doing something wrong? Is the laptop faulty? Why won't the light turn on? Why won't it charge? Why isn't there any change at all?! 

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title and to hide sensitive information}

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    edited April 2022
    JennyM97

I am really sorry for the inconvenience..   Let us do the basic steps first..

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a  pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and – sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer.  Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery.  Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down.  On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door.  Just below that you can find a latch.  If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.   Hold the power button for 1 minute.  After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn’t bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it’s internal statistics.

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear.  Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.   

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.   Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet.  Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.    Try to use an alternative charger if possible.    Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it  ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

Try windows x 
    go to device manager 
    expand Battery
    right click on all the items below battery – uninstall 
    Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

If it is still not working ..

Since your laptop is in warranty you can contact the warranty dept.     Go to the website support.acer.com - chose your country.   On the new page - scroll down -  click on "contact support".  Scroll down.  You can find the phone no to contact the warranty dept. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,881 Trailblazer

Just as additional info for you JennyM97 as when you plug these new laptops in with the charger. The chargers plug has to be plugged in all the way until you hear a "Click" as just putting the chargers plug in without hearing the “Click” does not make a connection, I also found that out and the same thing happened when I got my new Nitro 5 laptop a few months ago, so try that first. 

• JennyM97

Tinkerer

edited April 2022
    To be more clear, the laptop won't turn on at all. There is no power, as it will not charge (indicator light won't turn on, even when left for hours). It does not respond at all. Everything is plugged in as snuggly as possible (remarkably so; separate charger pieces fit together with a soft "click", as seen below). I have tried plugging it in in separate rooms (kitchen, wall outlet; living room, working power strip). 

I have included pictures. Below are: 
    1. "Your Predator Notebook Tour" (found on folding instructions, opposite side)
    2. Setup guide (the folding instructions)
    3. Connection of two parts of charger
    4. "Batteries cannot be easily replaced by user" (found on box) 
    5. Underside of laptop 
    6 & 7. Opened laptop (different angles) 

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

• StevenGen
    edited April 2022
    JennyM97 said:
    To be more clear, the laptop won't turn on at all. There is no power, as it will not charge (indicator light won't turn on, even when left for hours). It does not respond at all. Everything is plugged in as snuggly as possible (remarkably so; separate charger pieces fit together with a soft "click", as seen below). I have tried plugging it in in separate rooms (kitchen, wall outlet; living room, working power strip). 

I have included pictures. Below are: 
    1. "Your Predator Notebook Tour" (found on folding instructions, opposite side)
    2. Setup guide (the folding instructions)
    3. Connection of two parts of charger
    4. "Batteries cannot be easily replaced by user" (found on box) 
    5. Underside of laptop 
    6 & 7. Opened laptop (different angles) 

What strongly suggest and warn you about is this, pack all this laptops parts and paraphernalia into the laptops original box and either take it back to the retailer that you have bought this laptop from or send it to Acer as this laptop is under 12 months Acer warranty and this fault is fully covered by Acer, don't open anything up and/or take the back cover off or disconnect the battery, take the ram out or ssd m.2 drive or do anything to your laptop as this is a manufacturing and/or quality control issue. As doing all that will void your warranty.

• JennyM97

Tinkerer

What strongly suggest and warn you about is this, pack all this laptops parts and paraphernalia into the laptops original box and either take it back to the retailer that you have bought this laptop from or send it to Acer as this laptop is under 12 months Acer warranty and this fault is fully covered by Acer, don't open anything up and/or take the back cover off or disconnect the battery, take the ram out or ssd m.2 drive or do anything to your laptop as this is a manufacturing and/or quality control issue. As doing all that will void your warranty.
    That's the plan. 

I couldn't find anything about this specific model (maybe it's new?) on the discussion board (or Reddit, YouTube, etc.), which is why I posted my own inquiry. I had work yesterday, so I let answers pile up with the intention that, should none of them prove helpful, I would go to the warranty department. 
    Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help.  Kindly follow the steps given below: 
    I never could find a battery indicator (either a "pin hole" or a "large door on the back"), as indicated in the photos. I tried option #3 of your power drain strategy - to unplug, hold power button for 30 seconds, and replug after 30 minutes. Sorry to say, it didn't help. 

As the issue was that, ultimately, the laptop never turned on in the first place, I could not try other suggested methods, such as "bios" or "checking the battery". 
    It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.   Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet.  Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.    Try to use an alternative charger if possible.    Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it  ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  
    I could not find an alternate charger, as we don't have any that fit. I've tried different rooms, which are on opposite ends of the house, and are on different, unconnected walls. There is no way to bypass the surge protector, as the only charger that fits with the computer is the one that it comes with and the "first part" or the charger can only fit into surge protectors, not directly into outlets. At this point, I doubt there was ever any power in the battery - it can't possibly drain out more

All that being said, I'm off to the warranty department. 

I'll post here again when a solution is found, so that anyone who finds this thread - who might have the same issue - might be a little more in-the-know. 

I'm truly thankful to StevenGen and William_mk2 for responding. I've had issues with other laptops (*cough* Lenovo *cough*), where no one responded at all, not even to suggest going directly to the manufacturer. 
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    It doesn't even turn on without plugged-in? I have PH315-54 as well but different variant. I turned it on first without charging. Maybe it was at 80% and battery charging limit was turned on. This function doesn't let the laptop charge even when turned off. Hopefully it gets sorted out by replacement from retailer/Acer if that's not the case.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • JennyM97

Tinkerer

I got the laptop back today. 

The Acer repair team was "unable to duplicate reported symptoms after diagnostic testing". They updated Bios to version 1.11.
    However, they clearly got it to charge while there, because it did turn on (Yay). I proceeded to do the usual - downloading and installing Chrome, Steam, Origin, etc. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be charging while here. The battery has been falling, while plugged in, since I turned it on. It quickly fell from 96% to 44% within the first hour. I... I don't know what to do. At least it's a more common issue - maybe it's possible to find a solution, even if they don't have the exact same model or are from a couple years ago (I don't want to remove the battery, even if I could find it). We've tried the usual again: unplugging, holding down power button, waiting and replugging; going into Device Manager, uninstalling everything under Battery (there are two things, both related to the AC Adapter); etc.. My sister, who took over after I got overwhelmed, thinks that it might be charging when it's turned off (she had it turned off for a bit and the battery went from 26% to 27% within that time), so we're letting it be turned off for a bit We determined it is still losing power, even while turned off.

It's a gaming laptop - you're supposed to be able to spend extended periods of time in the game, longer if plugged in. 

Will it eventually give a 0% glitch? What should I do? Should I just look into getting my money back? Is there any way to fix this? 
  • StevenGen
    edited May 2022
    JennyM97 said:
    I got the laptop back today. 

The Acer repair team was "unable to duplicate reported symptoms after diagnostic testing". They updated Bios to version 1.11.
    However, they clearly got it to charge while there, because it did turn on (Yay). I proceeded to do the usual - downloading and installing Chrome, Steam, Origin, etc. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be charging while here. The battery has been falling, while plugged in, since I turned it on. It quickly fell from 96% to 44% within the first hour. I... I don't know what to do. At least it's a more common issue - maybe it's possible to find a solution, even if they don't have the exact same model or are from a couple years ago (I don't want to remove the battery, even if I could find it). We've tried the usual again: unplugging, holding down power button, waiting and replugging; going into Device Manager, uninstalling everything under Battery (there are two things, both related to the AC Adapter); etc.. My sister, who took over after I got overwhelmed, thinks that it might be charging when it's turned off (she had it turned off for a bit and the battery went from 26% to 27% within that time), so we're letting it be turned off for a bit We determined it is still losing power, even while turned off.

It's a gaming laptop - you're supposed to be able to spend extended periods of time in the game, longer if plugged in. 

Will it eventually give a 0% glitch? What should I do? Should I just look into getting my money back? Is there any way to fix this? 

Did you send the PH315-54’s OEM charger to Acer service also for them to test that with the laptop? Also you can test the PH315-54 -charger (when plugged into the mains at your place) as that could be one of the faults or your mains power point? Test the chargers output with a multi meter as it should have the following specs, + which is the internal part and - is the external part of the charger plug and it should have an output of 19.5 Volts plus/minus or similar to that figure. As its very strange if Acer service tested your laptop and charger that it worked there and not at your place as logic says, that you have something going on with power in your place and/or you haven’t plugged the charger in properly to the laptop? As brand new laptops work 99.99% of the times and if your doesn’t work then you are mighty unlucky :D

• JennyM97

Tinkerer

When I sent in the laptop, I included all parts it came with - including unnecessary parts like the manuals and original box. When I got them back, the charger was rewrapped noticeably more neatly than when I sent it in (the twist ties were reused; it was the same charger), so I assume they used it to charge the laptop at the repair shop. Everything is secured and plugged in snuggly (soft click and all), like they were before I sent it in. I can't fathom how it could be "connected improperly", and I can't find any videos detailing how to set-up this model (to be fair, it probably isn't needed). 

I don't know what a multi meter is or how to use it - I'll talk to my dad. We've tried different chargers on the laptop, but none fit, so I assume it works both ways - the charger won't fit the other laptops. 

We have a house that was built in the 1960s, and very few outlets have been updated to allow "grounders". This is why we've been using a strip in the living room for all our other laptops, as it acts as a sort of 'extension' by allowing for three-pronged plugs. Other than that, the only other updated outlets are the one in the kitchen and one in my bedroom (behind my sister's bed - she uses it for her own laptop). 

So, I've got a few ideas for what to do: 
    • I talk to my dad and see if he knows what a multi meter is and if he has one I can try. (Just asked, he knows what it is ("They use it on cars"), but doesn't have one). 
    • I take the laptop to a local repair shop to see if they can figure out why it won't charge (instruct not to take apart). Maybe a quick diagnostic? Maybe watch them try to plug it in properly (they're tech people, maybe they're more familiar with how to)? Maybe they have a multi meter? Maybe it will charge while there and we'll determine it is the outlet at home that is the issue (and move on from there by, for example, getting a new power strip)? 
    • If all else fails and I can't possibly use the laptop for it's intended purpose (ex: the issue is the outlet, and a new power strip won't cut it, so I'd literally have to move house), then look into getting a refund. Then use the money to get a different laptop. 
  • XdxD
    How long is the refund period remaining? Also, try going to your nearest Acer support centre and get it checked in front of yourself as you still have the warranty intact. 
  • JennyM97

Tinkerer

I received it on the 24th, and much of the time since it has been shipping to/from the Acer Repair shop in TX. Acer's Returns & Cancellation policies are found here: https://store.acer.com/en-us/returns-and-cancellations 

There is a Acer service repair center about a 15 minutes drive away, in my local city, but it's currently closed. I have a dentist app. tomorrow, so I might be able to go sometime after (the next day I'd have the chance is Saturday)? 
  • JennyM97

Tinkerer

So, took it (laptop and charger) to the local service repair center that Saturday, and I just heard back. 

They were able to recreate the issue (not charging; light won't turn on). 

But, unfortunately, they were not able to solve the issue. 

They checked everything thoroughly, including for possible damage due to shipping, and managed to narrow it down to the board itself - which is an important piece of hardware, and usually go for over a thousand dollars. It's such a new and specific model, that they don't have a replacement. I have been advised to just return it, as any possible fix will likely cost more than the actual laptop. They are just as perplexed as I am, as it's a big issue and (even if there is no visible damage) it should have been noticed by the repair techs at Acer (they suspect the Acer techs didn't do as through an examination, nor did they test multiple times to check for if the initial charge was a fluke). 

My only other option is to, somehow, find out what Acer's techs did that got it to charge. 

I don't know if I can return it, since (despite all the time in transit and at repair shops) it is technically past the 15 day policy (do they make exceptions?). If not I guess I can either list it on Ebay (mentioning all issues) in hopes of making some money back by selling it to someone who is more tech-savvy than I am, or I bite the bullet and get it the new board (I was saving up for a laptop for months, after all - this was supposed to be the 'treat' I would get myself after my first real job). 

I'll admit, I'm not that eager to get in contact with Customer Service. The last time I contacted Acer via phone... the experience was less than pleasant ("Did you plug it in until you hear a click" "Yes... *silence for a couple minutes*... hello?" *disconnected*). I had to go through a different channel to set up the initial sending-it-to-the-repair-shop. 

I don't understand. I don't entirely know what's wrong with it. Acer themselves is inconsistent with their professionalism, or so it seems. I don't even know what was up with that original phone call from all those weeks ago. At this point, I'm starting to regret even buying the thing, it's caused such a hassle. At the same time, I don't know... I'm very thankful to the people who tried to help - both here and at the local service center. This might be a fluke - it's a new type of laptop, maybe they're still working out the kinks? - but at this point, I feel utterly lost: like I've tried everything I could; like there's some way to make this work, but I don't have a way to. 

I wish this was the end of this saga, but it seems it won't be. 
  • @JennyM97 When you insert the power adapter connector into the dcin jack, do you hear two clicks?

The power adapter will only fit perfectly if you hear two clicks and not just one click.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • XdxD
    edited May 2022
    There might be some exceptions to return policy. First contact your seller and try to get them to get it either replaced or refunded. Tell them about the visit to Acer service center too so as to tell them why it took you so many days before contacting them. Anyways, your Acer laptop has a 1-year warranty; the motherboard should be replaced for free by Acer. By local service center, was it Acer's? Also, the original Acer service centre did get it to charge right? So try asking them as well. 
  • Monica-Acer
    Monica-Acer Acer Crew, Knowledge Author Posts: 188 Acer Crew

Hi JennyM97,

We are sorry to hear this and we will be glad to escalate your case. We have sent you a private message please check it and reply back.

Thanks,

Acer-Monica

• Purpl3Glu3
    Purpl3Glu3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @JennyM97 When you insert the power adapter connector into the dcin jack, do you hear two clicks?

The power adapter will only fit perfectly if you hear two clicks and not just one click.

I literally made an account just to upvote this comment. I bought three Acer Nitro 5 laptops, thinking that each one was defective. I went straight to the internet to figure out what the problem was because no way are three laptops gonna be defective. I saw this answer and I feel like such an *****. YOU HAVE TO PUSH IT IN ALL THE WAY. Don't be like me and panic, keep pushing until you can't see the stem of the charger; it should go all the way in. Omg, you don't know how grateful I am for this.
  • @Purpl3Glu3 You are welcome my friend!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)