nitro 50 n50-620, what is the largest psu is available for this model?

mmoren73
mmoren73 Member Posts: 4 New User
the two 4 pin sockets for the CPU power are different, and only one will fit it from a standard split(4+4) 8 pin cpu cord on most psu, why? and will it run with only one 4 pin cpu power connector plugged in an still get the 4.4ghz on turbo mode?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,429 Trailblazer
    mmoren73 said:
    the two 4 pin sockets for the CPU power are different, and only one will fit it from a standard split(4+4) 8 pin cpu cord on most psu, why? and will it run with only one 4 pin cpu power connector plugged in an still get the 4.4ghz on turbo mode?

The largest Acer OEM fitted PSU for the N50-620 is the 500W PSU so try to get that if you have the 300W. If you want to upgrade your GPU to an RTX GPU then you will need a higher PSU as the highest N50-620 PSU of 500W is only adequate to power the GTX-1606Ti GPU card (see caption table below). The 8-pin or 4+4-pin connector for the CPU on current PSU's is described as an 8pin (4+4 -pins) ATX12V/EPS12V and are not the same as the ATX 4pin on the N50-620 mobo.

First try to power with the 1x 4pin that fits and see? For the other 4 pin marked as ATX2 (see caption of the two ATX2 & ATX3 4 pin plugs below) on the mobo, so try to get an appropriate adaptor/cable so that it fits into the ATX2 so that you can connect and utilise the full 8pin (4+4 -pins) ATX12V/EPS12V ATX or mATX new PSU plug, as that is your only options.

• mmoren73
    mmoren73 Member Posts: 4 New User
    my new psu i bought is a 750 watt, the cpu plug has 8 and 4+4 plugs, only one 4 pin one will fit into ATX 2, the other will not fit into ATX 3, then i have a female 24 pin atx to male 6 pin atx coming on friday to plug into ATX 1 which is a 6 pin, im going to try it with just the one 4 pin plugged in, im hoping with the larger power supply 750 gold psu will be enough to get the cpu up to 4.4ghz, then the rx 580 im putting will run off it own 8 pin and 6 pin pci-e cable, im hoping i dont need both ATX 2 and ATX 3 to run the CPU its base is 2.6ghz then 4.4ghz on turbo
  • cj94
    cj94 Member Posts: 9 New User
    mmoren73 said:
    my new psu i bought is a 750 watt, the cpu plug has 8 and 4+4 plugs, only one 4 pin one will fit into ATX 2, the other will not fit into ATX 3, then i have a female 24 pin atx to male 6 pin atx coming on friday to plug into ATX 1 which is a 6 pin, im going to try it with just the one 4 pin plugged in, im hoping with the larger power supply 750 gold psu will be enough to get the cpu up to 4.4ghz, then the rx 580 im putting will run off it own 8 pin and 6 pin pci-e cable, im hoping i dont need both ATX 2 and ATX 3 to run the CPU its base is 2.6ghz then 4.4ghz on turbo
    Was the upgrade successfull?
  • Darkfrost224
    Darkfrost224 Member Posts: 1 New User

Did y'all figure this out if so I need the deeds!

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,429 Trailblazer

These are the Acer fitted psu's for the n50-620, check these out and compare their specs with other psu of a higher rating, as this is the psu that will pair with the n50-620 mobo.

• Nitro1967
    Nitro1967 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'd really like to know if anyone came up with a compatible PSU. I purchased a AGW 600 from Amazon but one of the four pins does not fit. Oh I can swap the old PSU connector to fit and it seems the voltage is the same but my question is what 24 to six adaptor did you use and did it work. My Nitro works fine with the OEM 500 watt but I just wanted that warm fuzzy feeling of a bit extra for my upgraded 3060 GPU. Amazon tries to help but Best buy say no one ever upgrades or reported an incompatibility issue with the ATX PSU for the DTX Nitro Motherboard.

Did anyone find a solution or compatible PSU ?

• jgrayy100
    jgrayy100 Member Posts: 3 New User

What 3060 did you get and doest it run okay on the acer 500w power supply. Was thinking of upgrading.

• Nitro1967
    Nitro1967 Member Posts: 3 New User

I upgraded to the Phoenix Geforce RTX 3060 V2 12GB from the 1650 4GB and yes the OEM 500 works fine with no issues. After doing a power supply test online it recommended a 650 watt. The problem I find is Acer only supply a 500 watt and the only aftermarket seem to be ATX format so I'd need a 24 ATX to 6 pin DTX adaptor to upgrade the existing power supply. Also OEM power supplies are about $200 Canadian and aftermarket ATX semi and fully modular are half that with an adaptor that only cost about $ 20 from Amazon. Acer give great support but don't offer a larger option in a PSU nor suggest or deter buying aftermarket which fit 100%. The real problem is not knowing if the only adaptor is Nitro 620 six pin compatible as it states Dell or other brands. I would like to have the option of upgrading my PSU and have no idea why Acer does not sell an ATX to DTX compatible adaptor for gamers who actually upgrade which Best Buy where shocked I did. Yes the OEM 500 works fine but if I wanted add a water cooler or a storage drive I think I'd be pushing it. Online PSU calculator recommends 500~600 watt but in my view better to have and not need than to need and not want.

• andrewek123
    andrewek123 Member Posts: 5 New User

re: mmoren73 & StevenGen above posts, My idea is to swap the molex housing for the 4 pin male connector that doesn't fit from the old power supply cable to the new power supply cable;; 8pin (4+4 -pins) and then you will be able to use a higher wattage power supply. I am going to install a RTX 3090 GPU and new power supply into my Acer Nitro 50-610 and I will let you guys know if it works. I will measure each pin with a voltmeter and mark the info down as a precaution.

Example for removing molex pins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFR9Wnslruk

Andrew

• andrewek123

Hi All,

I know the original thread is for the acer n50-620, but I wanted to provide some hope: For the GPU and CPU upgrades specific to Acer nitro n50-610:

First here is the dxdiag screen for the CPU and GPU

I bought a RTX 3090 GPU and used a y cable to connect the 2 pcie 6+2 cables to the GPU from the PSU indicated below. Remember to do the following before powering down and replacing your GPU:

1. Un-Install the current GPU device(In my case GTX 1660 Super) and its driver using windows device manager
    2. Download the appropriate new driver from the Nvidia website.
    3. Power down the computer
    4. Replace the GPU.
    5. Power up the Computer
    6. Install the downloaded driver from 2.

For the PSU upgrade, I found something very easy that works. I used a Corsair cx750m (750 watt) power supply. You can split the 8 pin cpu connector into two two 4 pin connectors (12volts is along the top where the clip is and ground is on the bottom) and both connectors fit fine into the motherboard.

I also bought this cable off of Amazon, it says its for Dell models but it worked for my Acer n50-610 motherboard, based on misc. info on the Internet , measureing voltages of the 6 pin motherboard connector, and comparing it to the Aliexpress cable (link in my last post above), I made an educated guess that it was safe to use and that it would work. The only quirk with this cable is that the GPU is always powered on (RTX 3090 words on GPU were lit up by the backlight), after shutting down your computer from Windows. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BHPHCPHS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• andrewek123

Hi,

For the high power GPUs, its also a must to max your fan speed(s) or you will get the GPU black screen of death crash. Instructions follow for Debian and then Windows

Visit this link: https://devicetests.com/how-to-change-the-gpu-fan-speed and see: Method #2: Changing the Nvidia GPU Fan Speed

Andrew

• andrewek123

For this type of cable, follow the instructions below: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BHPHCPHS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Power on Instructions: Press the rocker switch to on on your power supply(GPU powers on, you can see the words on the GPU get lit up by the backlight) . Press the power supply button on your case, the acer n50-610 gives its familiar red glow.

Power off Instructions: Shutdown your operating system in the conventional way, the red light turns off.
    Press the rocker switch to off on your power supply, the GPU powers off.

Troubleshooting: If you press the rocker switch on your power supply to on and the motherboard power comes on at the same time, your computer probably won't boot. In this case , hold the case power switch until the motherboard powers off. Then press the rocker switch on your power supply to off. Wait 10 minutes for the GPU to cool just in case. Then repeat the Power on instructions above.