Input not supported Acer V193W monitor

sore
sore Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2022 in Monitors
Hi everyone, my father had an Acer V193W monitor lying around so I thought I could connect it to my laptop to use it as a second monitor. The monitor has a vga port and my laptop only has an hdmi one so I bought an adapter. However when I connect it the monitor shows "Input not supported" and I can't manage to fix it, I tried using another cable and it still didn't work. Has anyone had the same problem? If it matters my laptop is an HP pavilion 15.
Thank you in advance

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Answers

• ragsak28
    ragsak28 Ally Posts: 677
    Hi @Soren

Since you already tried with an adapter to connect the monitor you can try to connect it with a direct cable to check with the connection. Sometimes an adapter could be a problem.

Hope it will help you in some way.
  • sore
    sore Member Posts: 2 New User
    First of all thank you for the answer @ragsak28
    The problem is my laptop only has an hdmi port so i can't connect them directly
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer
    Try setting the resolution down to a lower value. Try 1024x768 first, then gradually bump it up until it no longer works. IIRC the max the monitor will support is 1440x900 and the computer is likely defaulting to 1920x1080.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Stephen91927
    Stephen91927 Member Posts: 1 New User

I got it working!

1. Plug in the V193 display and switch on. Go to updates and download the optional device driver. Restart the PC. Don't know if this is necessary.
    2. Windows P and select "Extend these displays". That should give you a background picture. You can drag windows from one display to another.
    3. Settings/System/Display. Select your new display and "make this my main display".