Samsung Magician not showing health or temperature of drives Aspire TC-885

Options
MindQuad
MindQuad Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 NVMe SSD in my Aspire TC-885 and everything seems to be working except the Samsung Magician software.  It shows the HDD | SATA and the SSD | unknown.  Drive health  is N/A and temperature is blank for both devices

I also tried installing Samsung NVMe Driver, but when I try to run it a dialog box opens/says: Samsung NVM Express device is not connected.  Please try again

Any help is much appreciated!  Will edit post to include screenshots if allowed/permitted

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Samsung magician does not support rst whith optane mode. Try this:
    a) press windows+r, type msconfig, go to system boot and enable safeboot:
    How to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode Boot into Safe Mode on PC
    b) then restart windows and access the bios.
    c) go to that tab and change it to ahci:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    Options
    MindQuad said:
    I installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 NVMe SSD in my Aspire TC-885 and everything seems to be working except the Samsung Magician software.  It shows the HDD | SATA and the SSD | unknown.  Drive health  is N/A and temperature is blank for both devices

I also tried installing Samsung NVMe Driver, but when I try to run it a dialog box opens/says: Samsung NVM Express device is not connected.  Please try again

Any help is much appreciated!  Will edit post to include screenshots if allowed/permitted

The Samsung Magician software is only for Samsung 2.5” and M.2 SSD drives and does not work and/or gives any stats or can update firmware for any other drives. Its very unusual that Magician is not giving you any information on the 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD as this drive is 100% supported.

Go to Samsung here at; DOWNLOAD – Tools & Software and download the last Magician version and also install the “Driver for 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD” as the firmware is automatically upgraded by Magician for your 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD. Also enable TRIM command within Cmd > As administrator prompt in windows.

Fully Uninstall Samsung Magician and reinstall it again and try that, as it should work. I've used Magician for years with Samsung SSD drives of both 2.5" and M.2 and they always worked perfectly as this software has also updated the firmware of these drives successfully and perfectly all the time. 

• MindQuad

Tinkerer

Options

Go to Samsung here at; DOWNLOAD – Tools & Software and download the last Magician version and also install the “Driver for 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD” as the firmware is automatically upgraded by Magician for your 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD. Also enable TRIM command within Cmd > As administrator prompt in windows.

Fully Uninstall Samsung Magician and reinstall it again

@StevenGen

I followed those instructions and am still having the same problem.  Samsung Magician is showing both drives, and when I try to install Samsung's NVMe driver it says: device is not connected.

Any ideas?

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    Options
    MindQuad said:

Go to Samsung here at; DOWNLOAD – Tools & Software and download the last Magician version and also install the “Driver for 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD” as the firmware is automatically upgraded by Magician for your 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD. Also enable TRIM command within Cmd > As administrator prompt in windows.

Fully Uninstall Samsung Magician and reinstall it again

@StevenGen

I followed those instructions and am still having the same problem.  Samsung Magician is showing both drives, and when I try to install Samsung's NVMe driver it says: device is not connected.

Any ideas?

Your Aspire TC-885 desktop has an M.2 SATA3 interface and the Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 NVMe SSD is a different interface that is why Magician is not showing the full stats for your drive, yes its recognising it but you bought the wrong M.2 drive for your TC-885 so try and do what egydiocoelho is suggesting as it will get Magician to display and monitor the full features of Magician but you will never ever utilise the full performance of the Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 NVMe SSD. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Ignore that last post, your Aspire TC-885 fully supports NVMe x4 gen 3, and so does the Samsung 970 EVO Plus. If your M.2 slot only supported SATA then it couldn't be used with an Intel Optane card. Likely there is either bugs in the Samsung software or you are still in Optane mode in the BIOS. Optane is used to put a small SSD in as a cache to a HDD in order to bump the performance up. It's not used for a SSD so needs to be turned off.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MindQuad

Tinkerer

edited April 2022
    Options
    billsey said: Likely there is either bugs in the Samsung software or you are still in Optane mode in the BIOS
    @billsey I'm hoping it's just bugs in their software because I've been in and out of BIOS and don't see any option to switch from Optane/RAID/AHCI ect...
    Also, that m.2 drive was empty prior to SSD install
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Check this tab:
    egydiocoelho said:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MindQuad

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho
     @billsey
    got it. Thanks guys!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    When you changed sata mode to ahci, did samsung magician start reading ssds temperatures? @MindQuad

egydiocoelho Trailblazer