No charge light when plugged in - Spin 311 - CP311-2HN-C2GR completely dead

WaterSommelier
WaterSommelier Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited May 2022 in Chromebooks
I have an 18 month old Spin 311 which my daughter has been using. She plugged it in when the battery was on 13% and left it over night. It is now dead and there isn't a charging light when plugged in (tried three different adapters).

If it was just a dead battery, would the charging light still be illuminated? It's been suggested on a non-ACER platform that Chromebook's will not illuminate their charging light if the battery is completely dead.

{Thread was edited to add model name to the title}

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    >>>She plugged it in when the battery was on 13% and left it over night. >>>

Was the laptop also turned on overnight?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    It is possible the battery has been discharged beyond the allowed limit, which means it can't be charged any longer. I don't know if that would keep the charging light off, but it wouldn't be surprising. Modern batteries have some smarts in them to disable charging when the battery gets too low, to mitigate the risk of fires or explosions. Which Spin 311 model do you have? It should be something like CP311-xx-xxxx and the model number is usually on the same sticker as the SN and SNID.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @WaterSommelier,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.
  • WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>She plugged it in when the battery was on 13% and left it over night. >>>

Was the laptop also turned on overnight?
    No it was off.
  • WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    It is possible the battery has been discharged beyond the allowed limit, 
    I don't think so as it had charge before it was plugged in, it hadn't been run down to empty.

billsey said:
    Which Spin 311 model do you have? It should be something like CP311-xx-xxxx and the model number is usually on the same sticker as the SN and SNID.
    CP311-2HN-C2GR

Sorry for the slow reply, I have been out of action.
  • WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Easwar said:
    Hi @WaterSommelier,

Are you getting any light indication when charger is connected.

Nope, nothing.
  • JackE
    Do you have a multimeter to check the charger plug's voltage output between its outer barrel and center terminal? Should be about 19volts DC.

Jack E/NJ

• WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

edited May 2022
    Deleted duplicate reply
  • WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Do you have a multimeter to check the charger plug's voltage output between its outer barrel and center terminal? Should be about 19volts DC.
    Thanks Jack, but I have tried three different chargers that work in our other laptops :neutral:
  • WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

Deleted duplicate reply
  • This model has two usb-c ports that support charging. Have you tried plugging the power adapter into the other usb-c port?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

This model has two usb-c ports that support charging. Have you tried plugging the power adapter into the other usb-c port?

Yes, neither work and neither illuminate the charge indicator.
  • JackE
    With the laptop shut off, leave the charger plugged in for at least 8 hours to see if the battery charge LED either starts blinking or lights up orange or blue. If not, then it's likely the battery did in fact drain below its critical 5% charge level and can't be recovered.

Jack E/NJ

• WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    With the laptop shut off, leave the charger plugged in for at least 8 hours to see if the battery charge LED either starts blinking or lights up orange or blue. If not, then it's likely the battery did in fact drain below its critical 5% charge level and can't be recovered.
    Thanks Jack,

I was hoping to establish if the light would or would not come on if the battery was fried. I can easily change the battery but don’t want to waste £20 if the laptop is completely broken. Might as well put the money to a new one :smile:
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    I don't believe the light will come on if the battery is too low, since charging is disabled in that event.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Leave it charge for at least 8hrs. If it doesn't even blink after that, then yes, it's probably unrecoverable. In that case, just deduct the £20 from your daughter's allowance in manageable installments. :)

Jack E/NJ

• WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

Hehe!

I actually got a reply from ACER support, however, they sent instructions for a battery reset but that was for a laptop with a removable battery which ours doesn’t have :neutral:

As I am pretty techie, I disconnected the battery and followed their instructions with no joy. I have replied and will let you know if there is another solution. 
  • JackE
    Did you leave in plugged in turn off for 8 hrs yet?

Jack E/NJ

• WaterSommelier

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Did you leave in plugged in turn off for 8 hrs yet?
    Yeah, no joy. 
  • JackE
    Sorry.  A replacement seems warranted. £20 sounds like a good price.

Jack E/NJ